Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009

HongFu Carbon Bike

Hi all, I just wanted to post a sketch from my custom paint guy who is finishing up a new carbon frame I ordered from HongFu. I have also attached a pick of the frame as it was shipped to me. I am picking up the custom paint job on Monday and will update, as well, once it is built up.
    I asked him to do it up similar to Lance's most recent paint job he had done on his TT bike.
    I ordered Pinarello decals, so it should look cool.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails HongFu Carbon Bike-custom-frame.jpg   HongFu Carbon Bike-img_0035%5B1%5D.jpg  

RoadBikeReview Member
    Does anybody know what happened to HongFu's website? Seems to be down.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Asmodeus2112
    Does anybody know what happened to HongFu's website? Seems to be down.
    It's not the first time. Just wait, I think the site will be ok soon. Anyway you can contact with "Jenny" (hongfu staff) writting to this e-mail: jenny8088@126.com

Nice design!

HTH

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by dutch937
    I ordered Pinarello decals, so it should look cool.
    You know, it would look cool even without the Pinarello decals. I realize this frame actually looks the same as the Pinarello's, but please don't. Get some custom decals to go with your frame (FWIW, I don't own a Pinarello or anything, I just think putting the wrong company's name on something is completely weaksauce).

Asad

duh...
    is that a flat spot on the left chainstay?

Quote Originally Posted by mikagsd
    Fat tire Fred....you are the bike god of the universe and unless someone agrees with your reasoning they are just plain stupid

What the Hell is going on
    Quote Originally Posted by asad137
    You know, it would look cool even without the Pinarello decals. I realize this frame actually looks the same as the Pinarello's, but please don't. Get some custom decals to go with your frame (FWIW, I don't own a Pinarello or anything, I just think putting the wrong company's name on something is completely weaksauce).

Asad
    +1. Making up your own "brand" name is more cooler than riding a fake Pinarello.
    You'd think we were here for something other than fun. - Ishmael

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    K, well, it seems as though everyone has their own opinions and I guess that's what makes the world turn. My concept was not to build an original, but to have something unique to myself and something that would be pleasing to my eyes.
    So here is the frame.
    The complete build will be posted in a few days...Sram Force/Red, 3T and Zipp 303's. Should look good (to me).
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Twitterpated
    Awesome paint job. I love the color blocking, especially around the seat cluster. Congratulations!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    Thx...The paint work is immaculate! I had Velocolour (Noah Rosen) in Toronto do it. I would highly recommend him to anyone looking for a new look or any restoration work.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009
    I have been thinking of painting mine.... I am close to Toronto... If you don't mind me asking what was the cost to paint your frame and did you have your decals clear coated?? Thanks...... BTW......... LOOKS GREAT!!!

Carbon Fiber = Explode!
    Great, now you can ebay it as a Pina...
    '09 Voodoo Wazoo
    '08 Pedal Force RS2
    '06 Raleigh Cadent 5.0
    '01 Trek 4300 MTB
    '93 Norco Nitro MTB Touring
    '88 Schwinn Prelude Fixie
    1 hour of running = 1 hour of wasted time when you could have been riding. - Alaska Mike

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009

"great..."

Quote Originally Posted by CleavesF
    Great, now you can ebay it as a Pina...
    Nice one!
    No Ebay, no craigslist, just me and the road. The day i get tired of this bike, it will become a singlespeed.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009

Price

Quote Originally Posted by PLAYONIT
    I have been thinking of painting mine.... I am close to Toronto... If you don't mind me asking what was the cost to paint your frame and did you have your decals clear coated?? Thanks...... BTW......... LOOKS GREAT!!!
    I paid $650. I had a Cervelo painted 2 years ago and it cost me $350 from another guy in Toronto...not near the quality. And yes the decals are clear coated.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2006
    That is hilarious, I once saw a Hyundai with Honda Decals on it. When it comes down to it i am sure both will be ridiculed and laughed at. Enjoy.

dan5472
    Please keep us posted as to what you think of the ride and any other thing you want to toss in. Sounds like you have something to compare it to. My guess is your high as a kid on Christmas day. I would be too. I myself am sitting on the fence as to buy a frame and doll it up. Wish they had a 60cm frame.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by g-Bike
    That is hilarious, I once saw a Hyundai with Honda Decals on it. When it comes down to it i am sure both will be ridiculed and laughed at. Enjoy.
    nice comparison...
    The only reason i started this post was to give those an idea of what u could do with one of these frames from China. If you get anything out of this>> The carbon weave that I received is very, very good quality. If you want custom paint work, i would highly recommend Velocolour. Fe

Feel free to voice your opinions about the "pinarello". That's all i got.
    ciao.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    Dutch, that's a nice looking bike.
    I just finished a 6500km bike ride across Canada. I raised over $100 000 for kids with cancer. Read all about it: http://www.cyclingforcancer.ca

RoadBikeReview Member

paint

Quote Originally Posted by g-Bike

......soooo you spent more on the paint job than the actual frame
    Sometimes I just don't get people - If your willing to spend that kind of coin on a paintjob for asthetics purposes only why not just put the $$ into the real thing? Obviously you want a real one or you would not have put the fake name stickers on it

I know, to each it's own, but some of these ebay frame builds make ZERO sense.

enjoy it
    Michael

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by KMan
    ......soooo you spent more on the paint job than the actual frame
    Sometimes I just don't get people - If your willing to spend that kind of coin on a paintjob for asthetics purposes only why not just put the $$ into the real thing? Obviously you want a real one or you would not have put the fake name stickers on it

I know, to each it's own, but some of these ebay frame builds make ZERO sense.

enjoy it
    Michael
    Because the real thing would cost over $10,000!!!!

I wasn't going to waste my time responding to the "negative' criticism, but your comments are just too funny... So, let me get this straight...First, I own a few expensive originals (Scott CR1 SL, Felt B2 Pro), so i'm not just an imposter. I too have been sucked into buying a "brand' name bike primarily because I really didn't think there were any other options. I used to play competitive golf and got sick and tired of paying big bucks for brand name golf equipment, so i equiped myself with a Knock off driver and it was the best purchase I ever made (I wasn't a professional getting free equipment and I'm not a sponsored rider!).
    I realize I didn't have to go and use the Pinarello brand on a frame that costs a fraction of the cost of the real deal, but i am also tired of paying over $2,500+++ for a frame that is probably using the same carbon and coming from the same plant as a $450 frame!
    So what if it's a fake...it's fu%&$ing great looking fake and if I chose to spend more on the paint than i did on the frame, it still cost me more than 1/2 of what it would have cost me to buy the "real deal".
    So, who's the dumb ass here? If you don't like what I've done and it makes no sense to you, then continue to support the Big Brand companies who are ripping us all off who are passionate about a sport and just want to enjoy a ride on the open road.

Note: if I planned to build this bike up and try and sell it as a "real" Pinarello, then anyone who is critcising my decision has a completely valid point, but that is not the case here.

RoadBikeReview Member

no issues

I have no issues with people buying these ebay frames - I think it's pretty smart and I was going to buy a TT frame myself. What I'm confused about and actually find it humorous that people are putting fake brand name stickers on these frames. Makes me think that they are really not all that comfortable with their purchase and wish they had the real thing - "to me", that would be the only purpope to put the name on the bike.

No different than me buying a cheap car and then sticking a Mercedes logo on it - kind of just becomes a joke - It's not a Mercedes and it's not a Pinarello so why try and fake it???

As you stated to each it's own, I'm sure you will enjoy the bike and I think the paint job is excellent. Don't bash me for my opinion - it's just that....an opinion. You can disagree with it, but in the end it's still my opinion and nothing you or anyone can do will change that. Just like you have others posttion that they think it is alright that people putr NB stickers on these frames - it's their opinion - no one is calling them out.

Michael

Because the real thing would cost over $10,000!!!!

I wasn't going to waste my time responding to the "negative' criticism, but your comments are just too funny... So, let me get this straight...First, I own a few expensive originals (Scott CR1 SL, Felt B2 Pro), so i'm not just an imposter. I too have been sucked into buying a "brand' name bike primarily because I really didn't think there were any other options. I used to play competitive golf and got sick and tired of paying big bucks for brand name golf equipment, so i equiped myself with a Knock off driver and it was the best purchase I ever made (I wasn't a professional getting free equipment and I'm not a sponsored rider!).
    I realize I didn't have to go and use the Pinarello brand on a frame that costs a fraction of the cost of the real deal, but i am also tired of paying over $2,500+++ for a frame that is probably using the same carbon and coming from the same plant as a $450 frame!
    So what if it's a fake...it's fu%&$ing great looking fake and if I chose to spend more on the paint than i did on the frame, it still cost me more than 1/2 of what it would have cost me to buy the "real deal".
    So, who's the dumb ass here? If you don't like what I've done and it makes no sense to you, then continue to support the Big Brand companies who are ripping us all off who are passionate about a sport and just want to enjoy a ride on the open road.

Note: if I planned to build this bike up and try and sell it as a "real" Pinarello, then anyone who is critcising my decision has a completely valid point, but that is not the case here.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2006
    I agree that it's a nice looking bike. The ebay carbon frames seem to be a smart buy. However, the word for someone who would use a fake manufacturers decal is "poseur." There is simply no way around it. I assure you that if you ride with a group you will be the butt of many jokes, whether you hear them or not. Sorry if this is not the response you expected.

duh...
    So, who's the dumb ass here?

was that a serious question?

Quote Originally Posted by mikagsd
    Fat tire Fred....you are the bike god of the universe and unless someone agrees with your reasoning they are just plain stupid

RoadBikeReview Member

Eureka!

Poseur, that's what is going on my ebay carbon frame as a faux brand logo!

Now I just need a graphic...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    Interesting posts...didn't really think it would go down this road, but it is what it is. Those who think I will be the "butt of many Jokes", hmmmm...I do feel like I have to defend my position in doing what i did, but at the end of the day, do I really care??? No!!
    I drive a Mini Cooper and I'm sure there are those driving their big SUV's that laugh at my "cute" little car and in some cases could fit my car in the back of their SUV, but i cant get enough of driving that Mini.
    I will have a bike that will looks great in my eyes and that's all that counts...

The build will be done tonight, so will re-post for those interested and will fill you in on the ride this weekend. as long as weather permits. Hopefully, it will help someone make an educated decision on their next purchase.

And Michael, i don't think you are a dumb ass! But. there are a few that need to look in the mirror.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I drive a Mini Cooper

Cool. Does it have Porsche decals on it? ;)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast