Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    teoblar
    Feb 2013
    I would suspect that the OP was reacting like a lot of us would when faced with bad news: seek a second opinion and keep their fingers crossed that the new opinion is what they want to hear. In this case, they likely already know that the frame is unreasonably dangerous to ride and are going through the cost/risk analysis of crashing and leaving their epidermis on the asphalt vs buying a new frame.

I just went through this with a carbon rim. The shop was very vague and 'advised' against riding it, most likely for liability reasons.

I like the 'sacrifice to the lightweight gods' line. The price to pay for shaving grams (not to imply that other materials cannot break, of course).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by teoblar View Post
    I would suspect that the OP was reacting like a lot of us would when faced with bad news: seek a second opinion and keep their fingers crossed that the new opinion is what they want to hear. In this case, they likely already know that the frame is unreasonably dangerous to ride and are going through the cost/risk analysis of crashing and leaving their epidermis on the asphalt vs buying a new frame.

I just went through this with a carbon rim. The shop was very vague and 'advised' against riding it, most likely for liability reasons.

I like the 'sacrifice to the lightweight gods' line. The price to pay for shaving grams (not to imply that other materials cannot break, of course).
    and here we go,, you've nailed the OP's question to a T,, nice analysis,,, many of us do actually take the risk, and ask what our fellow forum members think??

You've given him the most thoughtful and helpful support, in the process related his disappoint with a similar disappointment of your own... thank you..

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12