Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2009

how bad is this crack?

I recently took my old bike out of the basement and had it tuned up by my LBS. They noticed what seemed to be a crack behind the crankset. How bad does this look? Should I not ride it at all? Or shall I just monitor it to see if it gets any worse?how bad is this crack?-img_20180213_175745.jpg

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2014
    I would not ride that bike. That looks about as serious as cracks get.

You could send it off to one of the carbon repairs services like Calfee or Ruckus Composites. They can do an assessment (not free) and give you an estimate to repair and repaint it.

Adorable Furry Hombre
    If you need to ask "how bad is this crack?"....it is time to stop riding it either to shelve it or to get it repaired by professionals.
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

RoadBikeReview Member
    Was the bike in a smash? TBH, I would ride it while I waited for my new frame to arrive. I wouldn't be confident in it however unless I knew it was a paint crack and if it wasn't a paint crack, what impact put it there.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Duct tape bailing wire and zip ties. The hammer isn't needed for this repair.
    Too old to ride plastic

Russian Troll Farmer
    Go get some jam, because that frame is toast....
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Migen21 View Post
    I would not ride that bike. That looks about as serious as cracks get.

You could send it off to one of the carbon repairs services like Calfee or Ruckus Composites. They can do an assessment (not free) and give you an estimate to repair and repaint it.
    I agree. If it's not covered under warranty, follow this path. As that crack increases, the loss of that joint will transfer loads to the other tubes, which are not designed to withstand stresses in the absence of a sound seat tube. Further failure will be rapid.

Stop riding it, get it repaired, or replaced.

'brifter' is a lame word.
    It's done. Time for a repair from either one of the 2 mentioned previously, although I think Ruckus is more high-tech and really does top notch work.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

banned
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by notwist View Post
    I recently took my old bike out of the basement and had it tuned up by my LBS. They noticed what seemed to be a crack behind the crankset. How bad does this look? Should I not ride it at all? Or shall I just monitor it to see if it gets any worse?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180213_175745.jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	82.7 KB 
ID:	321885
    I am shocked that you chose to take a picture and post it on the internet in order to ask a bunch of strangers “how bad is this crack” VS asking the bike shop that tuned up your bike and pointed out that it has a crack in the frame.

Wait...I missed that. Did your LBS actually do the tune and let you take it w/o advising you to have it checked and/or repaired?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    Wait...I missed that. Did your LBS actually do the tune and let you take it w/o advising you to have it checked and/or repaired?
    If anyone wishes to cast suspicion the shop did the damage, normal stress in the seat tube-BB junction is high right where that crack is, probably higher than the other place weak frames develop fractures, the chain stay junctions.

Is OP a heavy pedaler who likes to ride hard in big gears? That did it for a few I've come across over the years. Some riders literally try to tear their bikes apart. Had a riding buddy who used to whack up the hills in his big ring, wrestling that bike violently back and forth. He broke the seat tube right above the derailleur hanger. It was badly braised steel and he had weeks of warning.

Pictured above is not a place a frame would break in a crash; the impact forces are coming from the wrong direction. Doubtful it would have been caused by the shop mech working on the bike, but anything is possible! Maybe his wrench slipped? Nahh...

Sacrifice the frame as an offering to the gods of lightweight! Its ended its short service life. Look for a stouter frame, heavied up in the BB area, like many carbons bikes are these days. And if you like to mash big gears, learn how to spin.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredrico View Post
    If anyone wishes to cast suspicion the shop did the damage, normal stress in the seat tube-BB junction is high right where that crack is, probably higher than the other place weak frames develop fractures, the chain stay junctions.

Is OP a heavy pedaler who likes to ride hard in big gears? That did it for a few I've come across over the years. Some riders literally try to tear their bikes apart. Had a riding buddy who used to whack up the hills in his big ring, wrestling that bike violently back and forth. He broke the seat tube right above the derailleur hanger. It was badly braised steel and he had weeks of warning.

Pictured above is not a place a frame would break in a crash; the impact forces are coming from the wrong direction. Doubtful it would have been caused by the shop mech working on the bike, but anything is possible! Maybe his wrench slipped? Nahh...

Sacrifice the frame as an offering to the gods of lightweight! Its ended its short service life. Look for a stouter frame, heavied up in the BB area, like many carbons bikes are these days. And if you like to mash big gears, learn how to spin.
    I think if suspicion is going to be cast at the shop it would be about them either not seeing something so obvious while servicing the bike or seeing the damage not notifying the owner and servicing the bike anyway.
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jaggrin View Post
    I am shocked that you chose to take a picture and post it on the internet in order to ask a bunch of strangers “how bad is this crack” VS asking the bike shop that tuned up your bike and pointed out that it has a crack in the frame.
    how many bike mechs are carbon experts? Far far more knowledge can be found online. LBS mech will probably just say the generic "cya" line "it's crack, don't ride it". Online community will also tend to suggest don't ride it too, but they will also suggest carbon repair options.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by notwist View Post
    I recently took my old bike out of the basement and had it tuned up by my LBS. They noticed what seemed to be a crack behind the crankset. How bad does this look? Should I not ride it at all? Or shall I just monitor it to see if it gets any worse?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180213_175745.jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	82.7 KB 
ID:	321885
    frame is toast. It may be repairable, and cost will run you around at least $500 when all said and done. This cost may or may not be worth it. It if was me, I'd relegate this to be a trainer frame and buy another frame (new or used).

Having said that, I know a guy who isn't a carbon expert but he buys those DIY carbon repair kit and fixed his chainstay. It's basically carbon layers and resin that you slap on the crack and let it cure under the sun. It's nothing like curing the frame in an oven properly. It's sort of like a "duct tape repair" job, but apparently his home repaired frame has held up for two years of hard riding so far. I don't think professional repair shops bake the frame either since doing so will also ruin the paint of the rest of the frame?

banned
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    I think if suspicion is going to be cast at the shop it would be about them either not seeing something so obvious while servicing the bike or seeing the damage not notifying the owner and servicing the bike anyway.
    Read the OP again. It was the SHOP that pointed out there was a crack in the frame.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Read the OP again. It was the SHOP that pointed out there was a crack in the frame.
    Yeah, the shop where he had it tuned up. The OP doesn't say if they pointed it out after doing the tune-up or pointed it out before continuing with the tune-up.

I wasn't casting accusations, just responding to a post that spoke of "If anyone wishes to cast suspicion the shop did the damage,".

And what I said was "I think if suspicion is going to be cast at the shop". If being the key word.
    Too old to ride plastic

Russian Troll Farmer
    Has anybody noticed how similar these "how bad is this crack" posts are to questions like "does this make me look fat"? The OP always knows the truth, but doesn't really want to hear it.
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

banned
    Feb 2011
    Yeah, the shop where he had it tuned up. The OP doesn't say if they pointed it out after doing the tune-up or pointed it out before continuing with the tune-up.

I wasn't casting accusations, just responding to a post that spoke of "If anyone wishes to cast suspicion the shop did the damage,".

And what I said was "I think if suspicion is going to be cast at the shop". If being the key word.
    Why would it matter whether the discussion was before or after doing the tune-up? The fact of the matter is that he would be in a local bike shop with people who sell carbon bikes and deal with warranty issues.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Why would it matter whether the discussion was before or after doing the tune-up? The fact of the matter is that he would be in a local bike shop with people who sell carbon bikes and deal with warranty issues.
    What offends you here?

The discussion matters because if they pointed it out before continuing he has the ability to stop further progress in the tune up, but if they point it out after the tune up is completed they are going to expect full payment for work done on a bike that will be trashed.

Before is ethical, after, not so much.
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    When you take the bike to the shop, do you hang around till they start working on it?
    And when they do pull it off the rack to service, do you expect them to stop working on it at every item they find that needs more attention? Granted the frame is a 'big' item, but you dropped it off and said to 'tune it up', they did it and found something they reported to you, you need to pay them for it.

Not paying for work you ordered is 'unethical'!
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by duriel View Post
    When you take the bike to the shop, do you hang around till they start working on it?
    And when they do pull it off the rack to service, do you expect them to stop working on it at every item they find that needs more attention? Granted the frame is a 'big' item, but you dropped it off and said to 'tune it up', they did it and found something they reported to you, you need to pay them for it.

Not paying for work you ordered is 'unethical'!
    A broken frame is quite a bit more than "needs attention". The shop, I'm sure, has a phone and stopping work to call before preceding ain't that big of a hardship. Call now or call later when there is some time, but allow the owner to decide on something that wasn't known when giving the appraisal.

If nothing else that's good business. If I hear a shop does a tune up on an unrideable frame before telling the owner I wouldn't buy a patch kit there. And I'll let anyone with ears know of the shops practice.
    Too old to ride plastic

What offends you here?

The discussion matters because if they pointed it out before continuing he has the ability to stop further progress in the tune up, but if they point it out after the tune up is completed they are going to expect full payment for work done on a bike that will be trashed.

^This^ In a perfect world this would be discovered when the bike was dropped off for the tune-up. We always take a quick look at every bike that comes in while the customer is still there to determine just how much work it needs...but you don't always see everything. The next step would be taking another look at the bike before starting the work. In this case the bike might have been dirty and the crack is behind the crank/rings. My next step would be to clean it and while doing that I would have found the crank and stopped work to let the customer know.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by duriel View Post
    Some of the more technologically advanced shops have and use these things called phones.
    Whatever as far as the issue goes but the 'because you weren't there' argument in favor of going ahead with the work is just absurd.

banned
    Feb 2011
    What offends me is the OP should have asked the bike shop if the frame was okay to ride instead he posted a picture on an internet site and is asking a bunch of strangers.

Los Barriles, BCS, Mexico
    What offends me is the OP should have asked the bike shop if the frame was okay to ride instead he posted a picture on an internet site and is asking a bunch of strangers.
    That’s not that unusual in this age of groupthink and peer approval.

Plus with all the ‘how shitty LBS are’ talk on this and other forums, I think an almost universal distrust of bike shops is promoted here and the OP may have unconsciously exhibited it.
    Trying to cram the rest of my life into the rest of my life!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast