Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Cycle Boy

I need Some Serious Advice here......Decisions, Decisions!

Hi everyone and thanks in advance for your 2 cents!

So, my current bike is a Trek Domane 5.2 with an Ultegra groupset and I have Shimano C50s on it (got the bike 2015). Great bike and super comfy.....

Fast forward to 2017....and I am presented with 2 options:

Option 1 - Buy the new 2017 Domane SL Frameset ($1,500) and move all my stuff over from the previous bike.

Option 2 - Buy a 2016 Domane 5.9 complete bike ($3,500-discounted heavily) - and just move my wheelset over. This bike is Equipped w/ Ultegra Di2.

Is the new front ISOspeed decoupler on the 2017 Domane that big of a game changer that i would really benefit greatly from it?

This is basically a $2K difference in decision....is the Di2 REALLY that amazing?

I need to decide in 3 days apparently because that 5.9 will vanish and get sold to someone else....I still have dibs on it till then.

Any thoughts and advice would be greatly appreciated!!!
    "It never gets easier, you just get faster" - Greg Lemond

Forever a Student
    Not understand why there's options.

What's wrong with the bike?

I think maybe option c: put more miles on the bike.
    use a torque wrench

Cycle Boy
    Quote Originally Posted by MMsRepBike View Post
    Not understand why there's options.

What's wrong with the bike?

I think maybe option c: put more miles on the bike.
    Well gee....if I followed that advice I would never have had a new bike for almost 10 years. lol. However, another reason I have for the change is - the frame of my current bike is a 50cm. On climbs it's small and nimble but on regular rides on the flats (which is mostly what I do), the 110mm stem is getting old. I have shorter arms so I'd rather opt for a 52 frame and a decreased stem size of 100mm to 90mm.

***and I like new stuff***

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SROC3 View Post
    my current bike is a 50cm. On climbs it's small and nimble but on regular rides on the flats (which is mostly what I do), the 110mm stem is getting old. I have shorter arms so I'd rather opt for a 52 frame and a decreased stem size of 100mm to 90mm
    so you want to get a bike with a longer TT so you can get a shorter stem? What am I not seeing here?
    Sounds like you just want a new bike.
    Buy the coolest looking one cause you'll be getting rid of it in two yrs anyway.

Cycle Boy
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwisimon View Post
    so you want to get a bike with a longer TT so you can get a shorter stem? What am I not seeing here?
    Sounds like you just want a new bike.
    Buy the coolest looking one cause you'll be getting rid of it in two yrs anyway.
    It's a combination of several factors:
    - Yes, I want a new bike.
    - When i got fit for my current bike, I had it done 3 months into owning the bike. The fit guy I used (and still do), told me that instead of making my stem longer to fit me on the bike perfectly, when i get a new bike to consider going one frame size up.
    - If you look at the Trek site - the sizing chart shows very little difference in wheelbase, top tube sizes (.05 cm to 1cm). It's the perfect fit and feel I am going for.

You don't know my history, nor how long I've kept any of my previous bikes (way longer than 2 years). And you never even bothered asking and just assumed. I don't understand. I don't see my original post as being arrogant or negative in any way. This is a forum and I'm just trying to ask for help here guys....

*** To everyone else who would like to help me/answer my original questions - I'm really just asking for some comparative help. I'm not too up to date on the newer tech and have never "lived" or tested the new fangled front decoupler on Trek, nor the Di2 - Hence my questions. I don't think I'm asking for too much.***
    Last edited by SROC3; 3 Weeks Ago at 09:44 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    It's a combination of several factors:
    - When i got fit for my current bike, I had it done 3 months into owning the bike. The fit guy I used (and still do), told me that instead of making my stem longer to fit me on the bike perfectly, when i get a new bike to consider going one frame size up.
    - If you look at the Trek site - the sizing chart shows very little difference in wheelbase, top tube sizes (.05 cm to 1cm). It's the perfect fit and feel I am going for.

You don't know my history, nor how long I've kept any of my previous bikes (way longer than 2 years). And you never even bothered asking and just assumed. I don't understand. I don't see my original post as being arrogant or negative in any way. This is a forum and I'm just trying to ask for help here guys....

*** To everyone else who would like to help me/answer my original questions - I'm really just asking for some comparative help. I'm not too up to date on the newer tech and have never "lived" or tested the new fangled front decoupler on Trek, nor the Di2 - Hence my questions. I don't think I'm asking for too much.***
    Sorry I guess I assumed you could take a joke.

Get the newer frame that fits and swap the components over. Save the two grand for upgrades as you wear out the parts you have now or a new bike as your biomechanics change.

Get refitted before you pull the trigger if you haven't had it done recently. Bodies change over time.

You could also pose the question and search in here Trek
    Last edited by kiwisimon; 3 Weeks Ago at 05:33 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2016
    How about the 2017 frameset with an Ultegra di2 on the side? If you like the 16 and 17 framesets equally in terms of looks then go with the 2017. If you can afford to spend 3500$, then you could buy some upgrades for the 2017 frameset as well. Fx a di2 group set... #problemSolved ;)

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2016
    Soooo you want a new bike! Always fun. I went Domane SLR6 Disc with Ultegra mechanical. I built up my first mtb this year and will soon be building up a road bike frame. I'm newb to it but it is satisfying. In your shoes I would still say go for the complete 17 Domane and ride it a year. If you want to change the groupset then go to town. Hard to beat the 17 Domane as a complete bike.

gazing from the shadows
    This is basically a $2K difference in decision....is the Di2 REALLY that amazing?
    Do you have something else to spend that $2k on, something you won't be able to do if you spend it on the bike? Would you like to have a town bike, or a bad weather bike? Nice shoes, shorts, etc? Maybe a new rack for traveling? Or maybe a vacation somewhere to ride?

You might consider that a change in tire size and/or air pressure might do just about as much to keep road buzz from affecting you as this tech. Air is free. In fact, I would suggest you ride a frame with the tech over some buzzy pavement, and then ride your current bike with lower tire pressure. If you can't feel a difference, don't pay for the tech.

The "decoupler" tech looks like unnecessary complication, and likely to develop annoying creaks and squeaks. A quick search shows quite a few examples of that online. Maybe they are better now than in the past. Personally, I would pass on isotech or any other similar design... at this time.

If I were racing over cobblestones with full team support, I'd go for it.

Enjoy whatever you get!
    Stout beers under trees, please.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2016
    Okay.

Since you would be buying an updated version of the same bike ... no point having two of them, really. Therefore I would suggest buying the bare frame and building it up .... and as was suggested, try the most supple tires you can find, and play with air pressure ... assuming that rough pavement is even a problem. Apparently it hasn't been so far with the old bike, because you didn't mention it.

I don't see DI2 being $2000 better than regular Ultegra ... but if you decide later that it is, you could always buy a DI2 groupset with the $2K you didn't spend ... and put the take-off Ultegra on Ebay.

Get the frame size you know you need, get a groupset you are already used to and know works ... and pocket $2000 (or, let's be realistic---keep $2-000 in the new bike stuff fund.)

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Hi everyone and thanks in advance for your 2 cents!
    If you want a new bike just to have a new bike. Great. Only you know your finances.

Is the new front ISOspeed decoupler on the 2017 Domane that big of a game changer that i would really benefit greatly from it?
    I don't think there's ever any bike tech in 2yrs time that would be considered a big game changer that you'd greatly benefit from.

is the Di2 REALLY that amazing?
    You haven't tried it?
    Yea.. it is really that amazing. I've never heard anyone who'd switched to Di2 ever say "oh I want my mechanical back".
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    So, my current bike is a Trek Domane 5.2 with an Ultegra groupset and I have Shimano C50s on it (got the bike 2015). Great bike and super comfy.....

Probably not. Some may notice a difference, some may not. The only way to find out is to test ride it. Be sure you are comparing apples to apples as in have exactly the same tire pressures in both your old bike and the bike you are test riding. It's fairly easy for a dishonest shop to put less pressure in test bike tires to make it feel like you're riding on a cloud.

No. The Ultegra 6800 mechanical shifting is simply amazing in itself. You probably won't notice any difference other than having one more battery to remember to charge. Not worth it IMHO.

Well gee....if I followed that advice I would never have had a new bike for almost 10 years.
    Ahhhh, you have n+1 syndrome?

However, another reason I have for the change is - the frame of my current bike is a 50cm. On climbs it's small and nimble but on regular rides on the flats (which is mostly what I do), the 110mm stem is getting old. I have shorter arms so I'd rather opt for a 52 frame and a decreased stem size of 100mm to 90mm.
    How does a larger frame with a shorter stem decrease your reach? Sounds like a wash. What is wrong with a 110mm stem? Two of my bikes have a 120mm stem.

Quote Originally Posted by QuiQuaeQuod View Post
    You might consider that a change in tire size and/or air pressure might do just about as much to keep road buzz from affecting you as this tech. Air is free. In fact, I would suggest you ride a frame with the tech over some buzzy pavement, and then ride your current bike with lower tire pressure. If you can't feel a difference, don't pay for the tech.
    This.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013
    A game changer is a bike with a good fit and a geometry that works for you. The rest is b.s.

RoadBikeReview Member
    OP-

Since you didn't ask for opinions about whether you should keep your current ride, I will address what you did ask and say that I think you should move up to the 2017 SL frameset. The 2016 doesn't have the front ISO speed and while the Ultegra DI2 is nice it's m the outgoing model and I don't think it justifies the upgrade. As others have said get the newer frame and use the money you save for something else later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cycle Boy
    Thank you everyone for your thoughts and advice!!!

I'm going to the shop today to do some measurements.....but it seems that I might just:
    - get the thumbs up from my bike fit guru
    - then get the 2017 frame
    - move everything over from my current bike
    - wait a couple of months
    - upgrade the remaining Ultegra components to Di2 (which would be cheaper anyways)

Thanks again!!!! Really appreciate the feedback and concerns

-

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2017
    I definitely wanted a new bike a few months ago. I had such a hard time deciding, I eventually decided to NOT decide and to just invest in equipment for more efficient training, since my old bike actually did quite fine! Unfortunately my frame broke soon after and I was forced to make a purchase and some compromises, but in my opinion it is hard to make a poor purchase these days, as all the bikes I've seen lately have been of a very high quality.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2011
    As many have said, go with the 2017 frame. Di2 is NOT worth the extra cost considering you're also getting old frame tech (even if only a year), and some of us actually prefer the feel of mechanical shifting.

Oh, and spend the $2K difference on a nice set of Zipp 202s!
    Well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion man. - The Dude

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005
    [QUOTEOh, and spend the $2K difference on a nice set of Zipp 202s! [/QUOTE]

Or you could save half that $2k and have a wheelset built with CK's I9's, Dt Swiss, White Industry T11's ............ and end up with a much better wheelset than Zipp and no Di2 isn't/wasn't worth the upgrade

Cycle Boy

...After Some Careful thought I reconsidered.... :)

So....after deciding that I HAD to have that darn frame color....Crummy, I'm so in love with my new bike I decided I didn't need the new-fangled ISO-speed front decoupler and another black frame. Moved my hoops over and waaaa-la!!!!! This happened over the weekend:
    My New (to me) Domane 5.9 Di2 :)))))))))

The bigger frame size of 52cm was a BIG improvement over my previous 50cm frame. I now have "more bike" under me and it feels perfect! And sheeeeet......the Di2 does ROCK

Much thanks again great forum for helping me make my decision and giving GREAT advice!!!!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Looks great. I too am not a fan of the black that trek is doing at the moment.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2016
    ....Crummy, I'm so in love with my new bike
    ... And that is by far the most important. Happy new bike day.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

RoadBikeReview Member
    Much thanks again great forum for helping me make my decision and giving GREAT advice!!!!
    I think you got the bike you wanted despite most of the advice on this thread. Well done, it looks great.Next year plan to enter some races if you want to get the most out of the bike.

Cycle Boy
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwisimon View Post
    I think you got the bike you wanted despite most of the advice on this thread. Well done, it looks great.Next year plan to enter some races if you want to get the most out of the bike.
    Spot on Thanks! I really do want to start racing in the coming year.

Cycle Boy
    Quote Originally Posted by Drone 5200 View Post
    Looks great. I too am not a fan of the black that trek is doing at the moment.

Yeah my previous bike was that same color and I just didn't feel the need for the Iso-Speed in the front-end of the bike nor having another flat black bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Serious decision? You already know what you want to do with your set up. All you have to do now is decide what is best for you. Personally, I'd get the 5.9. I think component swaps are waste of time and money. Why? Because a new frame will usually be followed by upgraditis. Ultegra is a nice component group, but I'm willing to bet you'll yearn for the newer version if you have the money.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast