Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2003

I think I made my decision - Volagi

I have researched and ridden many bikes, looked at everything from used to China sourced to Various brands. Got most serious about Parlee Z5 on closeout but they didn't have my size. Was about to get a Franco Kanan. Today I spent a couple of hours at Crank 2 in Pleasanton talking about Volagi. The original Liscio is on closeout but I'm going to take the Liscio 2 out for a 20 mile test ride. Shop owner insists on the long test with climbs and patchy roads.
    Size 57 Liscio 2 with Campy Chorus compact, Stan's clincher hoops with White Industries hubs, FSA carbon cranks, various other bits should total 15.5 or so pounds and be in my approved budget. They have a 55 with SRAM Red that is 15 exactly. Looking forward to clinching my decision with a test ride.
    Cool bike easily upgradable to Super Record EPS and carbon wheels some day. And I love supporting the small guys.
    Last edited by steel rider; 02-01-2013 at 10:37 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Cool.

Would've been more inclined to the Parlee but I guess life wasn't letting you have it. Hope the Liscio serves you well. Post pics if/when you get it!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2004
    The only thing with the Volagi is that it comes with disc brakes...doesn't it? That's pretty tough to live down in the road cycling world. Get ready for a constant bombardment of questions on every ride as to why. You will get tired of it....
    With people like Peter P. around, I am done posting on this website. Mean people have driven me off after 9 plus years. Good luck newbies beware.

Los Barriles, BCS, Mexico
    I saw the early Volagi several years ago, a very appealing bike. Let us know what you think.
    Trying to cram the rest of my life into the rest of my life!

Masters Neophyte
    Volagi is one my list of bikes to check out for a gravel grinder (the Viaje, not the Liscio). I'll be curious to hear your opinion after a good test ride.
    As far as getting too many questions about the disc brakes- just make sure you ride some dirt/gravel roads every now and then. That should shut up the disc-haters as it seems far more acceptable than discs on "regular" road bikes.
    (Besides, most industry wags agree that discs are coming to road bikes in general, whether we want them or not- you'll be ahead of the curve!)
    Capt Willard: "Every minute I stay in this room, I get weaker, and every minute Charlie squats in the bush, he gets stronger."

irony intended
    Pics or it didn't happen...
    2011 Tarmac Pro SL3 Project Black (gone but not forgotten)
    2012 Parlee Z5 SLi (because I can)
    2014 Colnago C59 AD04 (why not)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2003
    I haven't spoken to anyone who thinks disc brakes are uncool on a road bike whether or not they are the next big thing. Not that I would care but if someone asked why then my question would be why not. The only real reason why not is weight but my bike will be lighter than most 57 cm steeds under $5k. Aerodynamics? Please. It isn't a crit bike. You just don't get it. The bike is about more than disc brakes. Like the Roubaix is about more than little bumpers.

No time to take the test ride yet. Kids and work.

The Viaje looks cool. Love the steel.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2009

Do it!

What color are you thinking? I would have loved the lisco but wanted something more versatile. I've had my Viaje for a month, it's a absolute blast! Post up some picks when you get it!

The disc thing is overhyped. I ****ing love them, and I'm convert for road applications, but people don't really care, or say much about them at all, even on group rides. AND i'm living in France.... supposedly they are traditional here. Regardless I don't know why I'd let fear of other people judging me affect my purchase.

Heres some shots of mine:

snowday1_2 by dfishdesign, on Flickr

P1030164 copy by dfishdesign, on Flickr

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by steel rider View Post
    I haven't spoken to anyone who thinks disc brakes are uncool on a road bike whether or not they are the next big thing. Not that I would care but if someone asked why then my question would be why not. The only real reason why not is weight but my bike will be lighter than most 57 cm steeds under $5k. Aerodynamics? Please. It isn't a crit bike. You just don't get it. The bike is about more than disc brakes. Like the Roubaix is about more than little bumpers.

No time to take the test ride yet. Kids and work.

The Viaje looks cool. Love the steel.
    I think the ones that think disks are uncool are the ones that have not been on them yet. Or, they live in Florida where it's flat.

As for the weight issue, look to mtb for some new ideas. A company called Kettle cycles has a silicon carbide ceramic carbon rotor that takes care of some of the weight and heat/warping issues that could arise. The rotors are 54 gr. Of course, like anything new, you have to wait 6 months to see how they are in the real world.

This is just on part of the innovation for discs to road. I'm sure there will be more to come.
    It's a fire road.............
    I'm on a road bike..........

They have enough in common to blast down it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2003
    @Dfish. Love that shot with the tower. You wouldn't find me out riding in the snow. The shop I go to has a tan and black Viaje and it looks great.

@ziscwg. Yes part of the fun will be looking at what new tech comes down the pipe. Will have to look at those ceramic rotors after a while.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2003
    Did a 29 mile test ride today and sealed the deal. Ordered a Liscio 2 with Campy Record (10 speed because it goes better with the FSA crank I'm told), FSA carbon crank (didn't make sense to me to get a BB30 adapter so I can run Campy crank), upgraded Avid rotors, White Industries hubs with Stan's NoTubes wheels, tubeless tires which will be new to me. Went with compact and a 12-29 Chorus cassette rather than the Record.
    I have some Bebop pedals I'm going to try. Not sure if I will get a carbon handlebar or stay with the aluminum.
    Should be fun!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2013
    Disc brakes provide the best control in all conditions; leave no grime and don't wear out your rims and make for better aerodynamics. The road industry is moving in this direction. Volagi is leading the way.

As for a bombardment of questions, to quote Novel Laureate Dr. Richard Feynman, "what do you care what other people think?"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2003

Over 16 pounds. Oh well

Picked up the bike. Weight without cages and padals and with temp Veloce front DR is 16.76 pounds. I could get under 15 probably with carbon bars and new stem but its fine as is.
    I don't see how to uoad pics on the iPhone. Will do later.
    Last edited by steel rider; 03-01-2013 at 08:29 PM. Reason: Uploaded photos

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2003

Pics attached for real now

I think I made my decision - Volagi-v3.jpgI think I made my decision - Volagi-v4.jpgI think I made my decision - Volagi-v2.jpgI think I made my decision - Volagi-v5.jpgI think I made my decision - Volagi-v1.jpg
    Last edited by steel rider; 03-01-2013 at 10:22 PM. Reason: fixing photo

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    nice bike, but Alpha 340 is very light weight but they're flimsy.
    A friend who is 150 lbs already broke multiple spokes in both wheels, twice in the back, and finally dented the back going over a pothole. He ditched them after that.

Another issue with these rims is that if you do get a flat, the tires will peel off much easier than compared to a shimano tubeless rim. This may be scary in a high speed or cornering situation.

Simply put, Stans makes them too thin, so much so that you can even flex their sidewalls with 2 fingers. And all the symptoms seem to stem from the thinness of the aluminum. Just about the only good thing from them is lightweight. Of course they are because they're so thin.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    looks lovely. a 29 mile test ride is a proper, much better opportunity to sort out the important qualities of the bike than the parking lot. congratulations, keep us posted its progress.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005
    Picked up the bike. Weight without cages and padals and with temp Veloce front DR is 16.76 pounds. I could get under 15 probably with carbon bars and new stem but its fine as is.
    I don't see how to uoad pics on the iPhone. Will do later.
    Say what? How do you plan to drop 800g or more swapping the bars and stem?

wim
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by woodys737 View Post
    Agree, no way. But he's not really planning to do it if I understand his "fine as is" correctly. And he's right about leaving it alone. Volagis are not really about light weight anyway.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2003
    Is this a real question or are you just bantering? Not just bars and stem. Ti skewers (on order) will drop nearly 100 grams, Record front DR, aggressive saddle, bars, tires, etc etc and I think it's possible. But like I said not worth it for my needs. I will just work on getting stronger legs, which I can now do in comfort.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by aclinjury View Post
    nice bike, but Alpha 340 is very light weight but they're flimsy.
    A friend who is 150 lbs already broke multiple spokes in both wheels, twice in the back, and finally dented the back going over a pothole. He ditched them after that.

Another issue with these rims is that if you do get a flat, the tires will peel off much easier than compared to a shimano tubeless rim. This may be scary in a high speed or cornering situation.

Simply put, Stans makes them too thin, so much so that you can even flex their sidewalls with 2 fingers. And all the symptoms seem to stem from the thinness of the aluminum. Just about the only good thing from them is lightweight. Of course they are because they're so thin.
    Thanks I guess.

It may be that your friend doesn't know how to ride and/or is hard on wheels and probably other things. I know people like that. Must be the crappy wheels...

I'm quite happy with my decision based on more than a few consumer reviews, research, and my track record. That being said I will keep an eye on them. If they do give me grief I will post my experiences.
    Last edited by steel rider; 03-02-2013 at 11:27 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005
    Is this a real question or are you just bantering? Not just bars and stem. Ti skewers (on order) will drop nearly 100 grams, Record front DR, aggressive saddle, bars, tires, etc etc and I think it's possible. But like I said not worth it for my needs. I will just work on getting stronger legs, which I can now do in comfort.
    Not bantering. You wrote:
    originally posted by steel rider: I could get under 15 probably with carbon bars and new stem but its fine as is.
    and therefore why I asked. Dropping 1.76lbs or approximately 800g just by changing bars and stem isn't possible. If you would have said something like more along the lines of your post above I wouldn't have chimed in. No worries man. I hope you get it to 15! All things equal lighter is better imo.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2003

Red face

Not bantering. You wrote: and therefore why I asked. Dropping 1.76lbs or approximately 800g just by changing bars and stem isn't possible. If you would have said something like more along the lines of your post above I wouldn't have chimed in. No worries man. I hope you get it to 15! All things equal lighter is better imo.
    Wow did I write 15 instead of 16? I was wondering where you got your math. My mistake. I meant under 16 pounds. My apologies!
    Last edited by steel rider; 03-02-2013 at 09:12 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Very nice bike! Looks awesome! Enjoy!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2010
    Hi Steel rider,

Great choice.

I've just finished building up mine. Came in at 7.5kg (w/out pedals and bottle cages).

Works out to 16.5lb in your language. It's a Gen 2 F&F in 57cm, 29er carbon clinchers with 28/32 spokes, Red BB30 crank, Ultegra shifters, FD & RD, 180/160 Ice-Tec rotors and TRP Parabox

Looking fwd to getting it out for a test ride this weekend

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2003
    Nice ride man. I am curious to see what hydraulic brake options come out in the future. I am mechanical for simplicity right now.
    I want to look at carbon tubeless at some point. The problem is I can't justify it in any way at all besides it would look cool.
    Enjoy your ride!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast