RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2005

Ibis Silk Carbon

Has anyone tried the Ibis Silk Carbon?

banned
    Nov 2001
    Some guy on the weight weenies website bought one and was raving about it. It seems to look a lot like the frame Pedalforce.com sells for $650 though.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2006
    Sweet Ride.

I test rode an Ibis Silk one weekend, and the next weekend, I rode a Fuji Team RC. The Ibis felt more snappy and liked being pushed when you stood up to sprint or climb. It is a good climber, and was slightly less harsh than the Fuji.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2006
    I just bought one, and I'm trying to tell everyone everywhere how much this bike freaking rocks. I'm trying to sell my Litespeed Siena now because I'm not going to ride anything but the Ibis. I have about 100 miles on it over the last couple days, so there is that caveat of low mileage so far. Having said that, I noticed the difference right away compared to the Siena. Just as smooth - if not smoother - than the titanium frame, yet much stiffer. Going up and coming down hills is remarkably better. I just can't say enough about this bike. Give me the choice of this and any frame in the pro peleton, and I pick the Ibis. Seriously.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005
    I've seen a pre-production Silk Carbon frame and have a PedalForce QS2. I'm pretty sure they're the same. The Ibis has nicer paint and a prettier logo. I got my QS2 with no logos, the stealth look is cool. It rides well. The only drawback is that there isn't much tire clearance. 23s fit, but I'm not sure 25s will.

banned
    Oct 2005

Pedal Force Question

I've been looking into the Pedal Force as well. Like you, I prefer to no-logo stealth look.

Did you just make a request for NO logos? And did that cost anything extra?

Thanks.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005
    Yep, I just asked. They said that they didn't have no logo frames in stock in all sizes but they happened to have mine. They didn't seem 100% happy with me asking for a no logo frame, but if they'd make a logo that was nicer looking I wouldn't mind it.

I think that the stealth look actually gets more attention. Lots of people ask me about it. I've had people ask if it was some sort of factory prototype bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ericm979
    I've seen a pre-production Silk Carbon frame and have a PedalForce QS2. I'm pretty sure they're the same. The Ibis has nicer paint and a prettier logo. I got my QS2 with no logos, the stealth look is cool. It rides well. The only drawback is that there isn't much tire clearance. 23s fit, but I'm not sure 25s will.
    So did Scot Nicol have anything to do with designing it, or did he just find a cheap Chinese carbon frame and slap an Ibis decal on it?

wheel to wheel
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry Chinaski
    So did Scot Nicol have anything to do with designing it, or did he just find a cheap Chinese carbon frame and slap an Ibis decal on it?
    Nicol did the design and geo and sold the badge, on this and the mtb.
    "Gimondi un eroe umano, che viene sconfitto ma che continua la sua corsa fino a tornare a vincere." - Enrico Ruggeri

Kish ti road

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by 514Climber
    I've been looking into the Pedal Force as well.
    I ride a Pedal Force frame for over 2 years now without any problems. Compared to my cheap aluminum bike I rode before, I'm still amazed about how much more comfortable carbon is.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by cadence90
    Nicol did the design and geo and sold the badge, on this and the mtb.
    i emailed ibis about their bikes, i wanted to find out why they made bikes in china. long story, very interesting one at that.

Scot put me in touch with Tom Morgan, president of Ibis, who was very generous with his time and gave a thoughtful reply to my questions about the bike, why china etc.

they like their factory a lot. they shopped around for the best partner, even in the US. ultimately the decided on china because they felt the expertise with carbon was there, and us companies who would make a bike to their spec weren't there in terms of the volumes they wanted (small) and the US right now is very dominated by the aerospace industry -- bike companies would be bidding against boeing for factory time.

the feel like they have a great crew making their bike and it's a super bargain for what you get. Tom also very bluntly stated that most carbon bikes are totally overpriced compared to the upfront design cost and subsequent manufacture. greedy, in his words.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2006
    damn that qs2 looks a LOT like the silk huh