RoadBikeReview Member

Ibis Silk SL vs Look 586

I am looking for a new frame that is stiffer descending than my current steel bike. My eyes fell on two bikes: the Ibis Silk SL and the Look 586. I like the classic graphics and the heritage of the Ibis, but the Look sure received some great reviews. Is there anyone that can shed some light on my choice? I am not very tall at 187cm and my weight is 72kg. I am looking for a light frame that does well on the longer rides and is stiff for climbing and descending, without the ability to absorb uneven roads.

Climbin' Clyde
    No responses? Geez... I haven't ridden either, but I give the panache nod to the Look. I hear Scott Nicol is still very involved with "new" Ibis, and I've met a couple people who like their Silk Roads. But when they first appeared, sharing an open mold design with a cheapo Pedal Force frame, it kinda killed my buzz. I dug the old Ibis "Hand built in Sebastopol/Santa Rosa" stickers - I live here - but new Ibis isn't the same as old Ibis in my book.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2009
    I've owned a 585 and a 595 (currently on a Colnago EPS) , a friend has the 586, another friend had the Ibis. The Look's were 'M' and the EPS a size 50S.

Tried the 586 for a short 20 min spin (Both me and my friend ride the M size though his setup has about 10-15mm more reach) some time ago and here's my take comparatively between all but the Ibis.

In order of preference/pecking order.
    Comfort All Round :
    1) 585
    2) & 3) 586/EPS (tie)
    4) 595

Weight (lightest to heaviest)
    1) 585
    2) 586
    3 & 4) 595 / EPS (tie)

Stiffness around BB
    1 & 2) 595 / EPS (tie)
    3) 586
    4) 585 (Difference between the 2 are there, but a little subtle really)

Stiffness and front end handling:
    1 & 2) 595 / EPS (tie)
    3) 586
    4) 585

Overall 'feel good factor' for all day tempo riding
    1) 585
    2) EPS
    3) 586
    4) 595

Riding in a peloton with plenty of surging:
    1) EPS
    2 & 3) 595/ 586 (tie)
    4) 585

Climbing ( subjective like everything else and it really depends on how you climb too)
    1) EPS
    2) 585
    3) 586
    4) 595

It must be NOTEd the the above are purely my own assessments based on my preferred style of riding in such situations/conditions. IT can be very different for different people. Also note too that although all 3 Look models had the same geometry, the setup for the 586 was slightly different (longer reach). The Colnago EPS geometry is somewhat different, so was the fit and setup. Which may have affected the overall 'feel' of it comparatively.

Hope its useful as a relative point of reference.

As a side note, I'm 1.76m, inseam of 84cm, ~72kg.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Wow, many thanks for the reply both. The 585 crossed my mind too, but it can only be obtaines as a second hand (unless someone has some old stock). I'll look into the other models mentioned too.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2009
    I liked the way my silk rode. You can't really beat the ibis warranty either. They email back within 10-15mins, you can chat with the owner on the phone, and they stand behind their product.

I'm sure the look is fantastic, but the silk rides very nicely. The silk is stiff on the climbs, but takes up the chatter everywhere else. Confident on the downhills. The new one is supposedly a little more cushy, as the older silk was fairly stiff. Try to ride both and see what you like better, and if it's still an even race, definitely go with Ibis.

I had a silk (not sl) built up with a 9sp 105/ultegra mix, heavy ec70 fork with alum steerer, alum bar/stem, and sorta heavy 1600g wheels and it was 16.5lbs. They build up LIGHT. People are building high 14-15lbs builds fairly easily. 13.xx can be had by spending some extra dough.

Bottom line, ibis will always be there for you if you have any problems.

Not Banned

I've owned / rode neither

and I can't provide any answer because Ibis is a sometimes client of mine
    I can confirm Scot is still quite involved with the company
    their customer service is tops

I own 3 of the older "Built in Sebastapol / Sonoma County" models
    one nation, under surveillance with liberty and justice for few

still not figgering on biggering

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2008
    I own a 2008 586, I am not professional so this is just my opinion. The 586 is a great all day ride, light comfortable and handles very well. It does have a sightly taller head tube (which I find add's to the comfort) than some other frames in this price range. This is not the stiffest frame on the market in the b.b. (by design I believe). This frame carries the speed....well, it spins up quickly and seems to keep momentum regarding b.b. flex . I compare this to my 2009 Time World Star which has a much stiffer b.b. and holds cadence very well. (using the same wheelset, cranks and bottom bracket).
    Look has a somewhat iffy costumer service rep of late....however a quailty L.B.S.which stands behind you limits that factor in my opinion.
    I love the frame and if I could have only one frame, this would be it (for now). We'll see what 2011 holds in store.