RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2003

IF Ti crown jewel pricing question (used)

Could anyone out there PM me on a fair price for a low mileage great shape IF Ti crown jewel custom 2001 59 x 57 with 72 degree angles that was superbly repainted in 2005. great shape except paint scrape on rt chainstay (can be covered by a protector). I know the new one would run 3850 but not sure if i can reasonably expect 50% of that for this frame.
    thanks
    jim

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2006
    why do you need a PM?

I wouldnt pay anymore then 50% of the original price

have you considered you can get your own custom IF Steel for $1800?

Defender of Freedom...
    I sold my Ti CJ for much less than half. Used ti frames generally go b/w 1000-1400 for the upen end builders. 1200 would be a good offer IMO.
    It never gets easier. You just go faster. Greg LeMond

Steaming piles of opinion
    We've been over this. You can't sell your children.

However, you can put them up for adoption. I am a willing adoptive parent in this case.

The difficulty with pricing is that it's a custom bike to you, but it's just another frame (and an oddly sized one, at that) to just about everyone else. Custom can be a liability in the secondary market.

That said, I've seen some very-oddly-shaped Serottas go for way too much on Ebay.

If I try to put myself in the "how high would I go" mindset, given that I love Ti but am neutral on IF, not a great fan of red paint, that it's eerily close geo to what I would spec for myself... If I had the money to toss around... If I could buy another bike and stay married... On the right (or wrong) day, I might go to $1300ish.. $1400 if I got caught up in the bidding. I'm cheap, but also place what is probably a too-high premium on new.

I'm sure that was very helpful.
    A good habit is as hard to break as a bad one..

duh...
    Quote Originally Posted by danl1
    it's a custom bike to you, but it's just another frame to just about everyone else.

this is a great point and takes "custom" out of the picture when placing a number on resale value. that and less than perfect paint- despite a "superbe" redo- mean you prob won't get as much as you'd expect

RoadBikeReview Member
    Your best bet for obtaining the highest price is to post the frame on eBay with a reasonable starting price. Then post some messages on various forums to help get the word out. There would be some uncertainty involved, but you are likely to get more money for your frame is several people are bidding on it than just setting a price. Good photos are a must. Prices will be higher once riding season is in full force.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2003

thanks guys i'm doing 1400 frame

and then will add to the price if they want more than the frame--i've just got so much stuff to sell i can't wait until it gets to be 65 degrees in mos tof the country.
    jim