Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Intro road bike advice

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  jadoescher 
#1 ·
Hey there,

I am looking to buy my first road bike. I want to spend less than $1000 and I have it narrowed down to two models, the Giant Defy 2 and the Orbea Fleche. A local shop has both for about the same price (950 for the Giant, 930 for the Orbea). However, they tell me the Defy 2 is a step above the entry level Giant (Defy 3) so this might make it a step above the Orbea for about 20 bucks more. The other catch is the they don't actually have the Orbea Fleche in stock and would have to special order it so I haven't had a chance to test ride it. I have heard that Orbea makes sweet bikes, so I was leaning towards that before I heard about the Giant Defy line.

Any advice? The Defy 2 rode nicely but I don't have much to compare it to as a road bike newbie. I am a bit wary toward Giant since I seem to remember them as a cheaper mass production line growing up, but I could be wrong. The Defy 2 seems to have a higher level of components than the Orbea. Although I haven't tried out the Orbea Fleche, something about that brand seems more solid and well built (and they look cooler).

Any help that you all could offer would be great

Thanks

See less See more
#2 ·
It's hard to buy a bike that you haven't given a test ride.

Any other shops in your area?
I would test ride a couple of more bikes before I pulled the trigger.
Just for the sake of comparison, you might even want to test ride bikes at your LBS that aren't in your price range.

#4 ·
I would go with what you like. Giant is a solid company, my brother has a carbon model. The thing is great. If your LBS will get the Orbea in for a trial, it couldn't hurt. Basically the same components from what I found. If not, get the Giant if you liked it.

#5 ·
Unless the LBS you're dealing with is willing to order a bike and add it to their stock if you decide against it, I wouldn't consider a bike that's not available to test ride. Fit is just too important to leave to chance and IME the odds are about one in five that I'll like a bike I test ride enough to purchase.

IMO keep the Defy 2 in mind and try other shops offering other brands (Felt? Trek? Specialized? Jamis?) before making a decision, but... try before you buy!

#6 ·
jadoescher said:
Hey there,

I am looking to buy my first road bike. I want to spend less than $1000 and I have it narrowed down to two models, the Giant Defy 2 and the Orbea Fleche. A local shop has both for about the same price (950 for the Giant, 930 for the Orbea). However, they tell me the Defy 2 is a step above the entry level Giant (Defy 3) so this might make it a step above the Orbea for about 20 bucks more. The other catch is the they don't actually have the Orbea Fleche in stock and would have to special order it so I haven't had a chance to test ride it. I have heard that Orbea makes sweet bikes, so I was leaning towards that before I heard about the Giant Defy line.

Any advice? The Defy 2 rode nicely but I don't have much to compare it to as a road bike newbie. I am a bit wary toward Giant since I seem to remember them as a cheaper mass production line growing up, but I could be wrong. The Defy 2 seems to have a higher level of components than the Orbea. Although I haven't tried out the Orbea Fleche, something about that brand seems more solid and well built (and they look cooler).

Any help that you all could offer would be great

Thanks
My dad just turned 50 and he bought a Defy 2 last week. The frame is too small for me, but I rode it around and I liked how it felt. We've been out twice in the past week and he loves it. For him, he wanted a little more comfort so he swapped the stock saddle for a heavier one with gel padding. I can honestly say for the price, it was a great buy. Frame quality on a $1000 or less bike has improved nicely even within three years when I bought my bike. The components aren't flashy, but what came stock on the Defy 2 is better than what came on a similar model bike in 2006. Good luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.