Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    T K
    wasssabi

Italian Beauty or Asian Smoothie

Am I nuts?!!
    Been wanting a steel bike for a while and after researching It came down to the Gunnar Roadie or Soma Smoothie. I wanted somthing for daily riding/ training other than my Caad 5. Want somthing I can throw in the truck to take to work for lunch rides. Rack mounts would be nice. Sometims I'd like to ride somwhere with a change of clothes or shoes maybe a six pac.
    I found a deal I couldn't pass on a mid/late 90's Bianchi ELOS celeste beauty a few months back. Have been building up with all new Campy Veloce and Centaur. All I need is a conversion cassette and it's done.
    But now, I can't stop thinking about a Smoothie. It just seems to fit my original plan better.
    I've read the ELOS has a rider weight limit of 170. I'm 190. It has no rack mounts. I would feel guilty trashing a classic. Will it be a great everyday bike? Will it ride as smooth as the Smoothie?
    Can someone with more experience with these or steel bikes give me some input please.
    I have not even ridden the Bianchi yet.
    So, am I nuts for wanting to sell the Bianchi to get a Smoothie?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    no help on the bike choice but rep for best title

T K
    wasssabi
    Here is a pic of frameset. Took Sram stuff off and put on Campy. No Pics of that yet.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Italian Beauty or Asian Smoothie-001.jpg   Italian Beauty or Asian Smoothie-006.jpg  

warrrrrrrgh!!!
    Its nice, but it's not like you could never get another. Get the smoothie if you want a fender bike to beat on.
    I hate you all

j/k lol kthxbye!

RoadBikeReview Member
    yes!

Keep the Bianchi! Bikes like those are not on every corner.
    In fact the ELOS ones are getting harder and harder to find.

While a smoothie/surly/salsa or what ever is very common.
    and used very cheap. They do everything ok and nothing well.

You ride a bike for first and foremost fun. So keep the beauty!

Get an old MTB for carring stuff!
    It all comes down to rule 5!!

RoadBikeReview Member

Steel is (dare I say it?) Real

Quote Originally Posted by T K View Post
    Am I nuts?!!
    Been wanting a steel bike for a while and after researching It came down to the Gunnar Roadie or Soma Smoothie. I wanted somthing for daily riding/ training other than my Caad 5. Want somthing I can throw in the truck to take to work for lunch rides. Rack mounts would be nice. Sometims I'd like to ride somwhere with a change of clothes or shoes maybe a six pac.
    I found a deal I couldn't pass on a mid/late 90's Bianchi ELOS celeste beauty a few months back. Have been building up with all new Campy Veloce and Centaur. All I need is a conversion cassette and it's done.
    But now, I can't stop thinking about a Smoothie. It just seems to fit my original plan better.
    I've read the ELOS has a rider weight limit of 170. I'm 190. It has no rack mounts. I would feel guilty trashing a classic. Will it be a great everyday bike? Will it ride as smooth as the Smoothie?
    Can someone with more experience with these or steel bikes give me some input please.
    I have not even ridden the Bianchi yet.
    That Bianchi is a beauty. I no longer bleed Celeste, but there was a time... That being said, it's a racer's bike, and if you want something for more unpredictable conditions, or maybe for carrying a load, take a look at the Velo Orange Rando framesets (currently $500, down from $750--they have a new model on the way).

They're a little quirky, but I bought one and I've been very pleased with it so far. They only have 59 and 61 left, unfortunately, but they look like, to my mind, steel bikes should look. And how should a steel frame look, you ask? For one thing, a horizontal top tube. For another, a longish wheelbase. The Rando has these. The following picture is from VO's site:

This wheel's on fire/rollin' down the road

Cheese is my copilot
    Keep the Bianchi. Ride the Cannondale as a beater.
    Life is better in the big ring.

http://theclemencyblog.blogspot.com/

T K
    wasssabi
    Thanks so far.
    Let me clarify a few things. The Caad 5 is my crit/race bike but doing long miles on it is not much fun, even with 25mm tires and lower press.
    I am not looking for a commuter or a go to the grocery store bike. I want a well rounded, doing long base rides or fast training rides/ group rides but still be able to put a rack on if I want to get in a good training ride but bring somthing with me bike. Also durable.
    The Smoothie and the Roadie seemed to fit the bill. Just wondering if for my criteria the Bianchi is not what I need. But even if not, would I be crazy to sell it for a Smoothie?
    Last edited by T K; 09-14-2012 at 04:54 PM.

Cheese is my copilot
    Thanks so far.
    Let me clarify a few things. The Caad 5 is my crit/race bike but doing long miles on it is not much fun, even with 25mm tires and lower press.
    I am not looking for a commuter or a go to the grocery store bike. I want a well rounded, doing long base rides or fast training rides/ group rides but still be able to put a rack on if I want to get in a good training ride but bring somthing with me bike. Also durable.
    The Smoothie and the Roadie seemed to fit the bill. Just wondering if for my criteria the Bianchi is not what I need. But even if not, would I be crazy to sell it for a Soothie?
    Ah.

More than one way to skin the rack cat.

Someone sell me on a Carradice (or similar) bag
    Life is better in the big ring.

http://theclemencyblog.blogspot.com/

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2001
    Ride it a few times and re-asses. I was in the same quandary years ago when I wanted an all weather road bike for training. I got a ti bike and it quickly became something other than I intended. Today (14 years later) it is my "special" bike. I turn over my "other" bikes but this one remains. The Bianchi is a special bike. EL-OS gives a beautiful ride. It may be far more than what you intended.
    Côte du Petit Pas d'Ane - Best climb name ever.

warrrrrrrgh!!!
    Yeah, you need to ride that thing. At 190, it might be a little too light for you. But you should be able to tell after a few hours. I have never ridden an ELOS, but I weight about 190 in kit, and I don't like super light steel bikes. but thats just me.
    I hate you all

j/k lol kthxbye!

T K
    wasssabi
    Quote Originally Posted by foto View Post
    Yeah, you need to ride that thing. At 190, it might be a little too light for you. But you should be able to tell after a few hours. I have never ridden an ELOS, but I weight about 190 in kit, and I don't like super light steel bikes. but thats just me.
    That's what I've been thinking. It just might not have that plush feel I'm looking for. I guess I need to ride the thing and find out.

PRB
    Bibo Ergo Sum
    Yes.

The Bianchi is something special and they aren't easy to find. The Smoothie is...well, a Soma. It's a decent bike and all but it's not an ELOS Bianchi by any stretch of the imagination.
    Four wheels move your body, two wheels move your soul.

Descender
    Oct 2005
    That's what I've been thinking. It just might not have that plush feel I'm looking for. I guess I need to ride the thing and find out.

The heavier you are, the more "plush" the ride.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PRB View Post
    Yes.

The Bianchi is something special and they aren't easy to find. The Smoothie is...well, a Soma. It's a decent bike and all but it's not an ELOS Bianchi by any stretch of the imagination.
    Put it that way? If it's between the Bianchi and a Smoothie? Save up for the latter. You probably won't get another chance at a Bianchi like that, and it's a totally different critter.
    This wheel's on fire/rollin' down the road

T K
    wasssabi
    Thanks again to all. I guess I'm leaning towards keeping it but can't help but feel a bit of a been here before feeling. A couple years ago was faced with a similar dilema. Business was slow, just had a baby and needed some money. I decided to sell my two Caad 9s, one training, one racing. I kept the Caad 5 because it is a very rare 9/11 Fire Fighter, Stars and Stripes model. If it had been a nothing special 5 I'd have sold it and kept one of the 9s. Now, if I keep the Bianchi I will have two rare cool bikes but feel like neither is what I really need.
    I guess I could have bigger problems.

Not a rocket surgeon.
    Nov 2008
    My Smoothie is the best bike I have ever owned. It just fits and is a joy to ride.

warrrrrrrgh!!!
    Rare or no, it's a bike, and it's meant to be ridden.

If it's your bike, it's meant to be ridden by you.

Get the bike you want to ride.

....Unless you are a collector, then get the bike you want to dust and take pictures of.

It doesn't make sense to me to forgo the bike you want to keep the bike someone else would really want.
    I hate you all

j/k lol kthxbye!

T K
    wasssabi
    Quote Originally Posted by foto View Post
    Rare or no, it's a bike, and it's meant to be ridden.

If it's your bike, it's meant to be ridden by you.

Get the bike you want to ride.

....Unless you are a collector, then get the bike you want to dust and take pictures of.

It doesn't make sense to me to forgo the bike you want to keep the bike someone else would really want.
    And there is the other side of the argument. That's why I keep going back and forth.

So I guess my next question would be.
    How much should I be able to get if I sold the frame, forks, headset, stem (3T), bars (Civia), and seat post (kalloy)?
    Or, I could sell the whole bike, it is all brand new Campy Veloce with brand new Centaur cranks. Wheels and tires are brand new Neuvations with Vittoria Rubino pro IIIs.

PRB
    Bibo Ergo Sum
    If you had said something along the lines of "I've given it a chance but it's just not working for me" then I'd agree with selling it and moving on to something else. But you haven't done that....you haven't even ridden it yet. Once you get some saddle time then you'll have a much better idea if it's a keeper.
    Four wheels move your body, two wheels move your soul.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Thanks so far.
    The Smoothie and the Roadie seemed to fit the bill. Just wondering if for my criteria the Bianchi is not what I need. But even if not, would I be crazy to sell it for a Smoothie?
    I would find a way to keep both. That Bianchi is indeed a rare breed. you'll be hard pressed to find another in five years. It is a classic race bike. Howvever, you're not me and if you have no need for it, sell it. you're already 15-20 lbs beyond the max rider limit for that bike and it was royally suck for a beautiful steed like that to suffer frame failure. Might as well sell it to someone who can ride it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    And there is the other side of the argument. That's why I keep going back and forth.

So I guess my next question would be.
    How much should I be able to get if I sold the frame, forks, headset, stem (3T), bars (Civia), and seat post (kalloy)?
    Or, I could sell the whole bike, it is all brand new Campy Veloce with brand new Centaur cranks. Wheels and tires are brand new Neuvations with Vittoria Rubino pro IIIs.
    TK,

Don't sell it. Keep it for your budding "collector" role! At 190, you are probably a tad too heavy so get that Smoothie and ride the snot out of it until you drop the weight to closer to 170. I weigh 174 and I have a Mondonico in EL OS with the monostay. The monostay is very thin and I worry that I will break it someday but I can't stop riding it. It is the nicest steel bike I've ever ridden. You won't regret it if you can drop the weight.

As for selling it, just for reference about a year or two ago, I bid on (didn't win) a NOS Bianchi EL OS that went for just under $500 on eBay. I wish I would have placed a higher bid as I think I would have paid about $600 for it. There was a guy on the Serotta classifieds that was trying to sell his well used EL OS for $550 and he eventually dropped it to $425 but I don't think it ever sold. But his had a lot of paint chips. If you sold all the parts you mentioned, I'd say you can get an additional $100 or so?

Build it up and at least test ride it. You might come to the conclusion that a lot of us come to and that is EL OS rocks. I am always looking for a De Rosa in EL OS.
    Ordered and Fitted for my Custom DEAN Titanium frame on Sept 17th, 2008. Finally got it in Oct, 2010!!!

T K
    wasssabi
    Ok, got her finished. Even got it to work with a D/A 9 speed cassette.
    I'm home with the kids today while momma's at work. Maybe I can take her for a spin tomorrow.
    This picture does her no justice. She is absolutly beautful in person!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Italian Beauty or Asian Smoothie-033.jpg  

RoadBikeReview Member
    Ok, got her finished. Even got it to work with a D/A 9 speed cassette.
    I'm home with the kids today while momma's at work. Maybe I can take her for a spin tomorrow.
    This picture does her no justice. She is absolutly beautful in person!
    She looks BEAUTIFUL!!! What size is that? A 54 or 55? I like to see more Celeste on a Bianchi. Celeste bartape, cages, and seat. Although I know a good Celeste seat is hard to come by. Tell us how she rides!!
    Ordered and Fitted for my Custom DEAN Titanium frame on Sept 17th, 2008. Finally got it in Oct, 2010!!!

warrrrrrrgh!!!
    I gotta ask...

Isn't "Bianchi" Italian for "Trek"?
    I hate you all

j/k lol kthxbye!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast