RoadBikeReview Member

Just Finished Building My DEAN Ti

El Diente SL with S&S couplers. Some of you know the history I had with Dean. All that BS aside, here are my thoughts on the bike.

• Have not taken it out for a real ride yet, just a test spin around the block to make sure everything works.
    • Rides nice as much as one can tell from the little spin around the block.
    • I always have problems dialing in the front derailleur. Can't get it to go onto the big chainring when it is in the smallest cog.
    • The cable splitters rattle against the frame.
    • Everything built up easy enough with no real issues. The only minor issue the non-drive side BB cup took a lot of effort to install.
    • Lastly, the seattube water bottle bosses as so low that they the front derailleur band has to go between the bosses. Why would anyone put bosses so low? Would you want to do that for S&S coupled bikes for any reason?
    • Dean forgot to drill the BB drain hole and the BB cable guide tap.

Here are some pics. I like the way it turned out, except the bottle cage on the seattube. The first pic shows what I' talkin' bout Willis.

Now, for my next act- a Seven Ti!!! Just kidding. My wife would kill me.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Just Finished Building My DEAN Ti-photo-28-.jpg   Just Finished Building My DEAN Ti-photo-29-.jpg   Just Finished Building My DEAN Ti-photo-30-.jpg   Just Finished Building My DEAN Ti-photo-31-.jpg  
    Ordered and Fitted for my Custom DEAN Titanium frame on Sept 17th, 2008. Finally got it in Oct, 2010!!!

RoadBikeReview Member
    FIRST

two things:
    -White on Ti is an intriguing combo.
    -Same Dean as the one in the sig? Man just about 3 years of waiting to get it running.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ventruck View Post
    FIRST

two things:
    -White on Ti is an intriguing combo.
    -Same Dean as the one in the sig? Man just about 3 years of waiting to get it running.
    Yep. Almost one full year before I got her built up! Didn't realize that it's been that long. I've had other priorities. Just built up my C40 about 3 weeks ago. I now need to re-build my Fondy which I took all the parts off of for the Dean. Maybe tonight. I'm on a roll!!!
    Ordered and Fitted for my Custom DEAN Titanium frame on Sept 17th, 2008. Finally got it in Oct, 2010!!!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2007
    Don't get your fingers caught in the chain when reaching for that water bottle way down there!
    The white looks sweet on the Ti, good call.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2006
    Re: the cable splitters.

Proper cable splitters COME with a rubber donut on them to keep them silent. If your cable splitters are lacking them, to to a hardware store and purchase a couple O-rings to fit.

Re: the waterbottle bosses.

Some manufacturers place them low on the seat tube for a lower center of gravity, or to ensure they won't hit a top tube mounted pump when you extract the bottle. They may be a bit lazy to vary the location based on frame size. On my mountain bike they are positioned low like yours and I have no problem with reaching the bottle, but my frame is small. I checked the Dean web site; all their road bikes are built this way so it's not like you weren't informed of the issue.

Be thankful; I had one custom frame where the bosses where located such that I couldn't mount a front derailleur at all. I had to send the frame back to correct the problem.

Formosan Cyclocross
    Congratulations on getting a DEAN! Exclusive club.
    White on ti is really sharp... always.

Looks nice!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter P. View Post
    Re: the cable splitters.

Proper cable splitters COME with a rubber donut on them to keep them silent. If your cable splitters are lacking them, to to a hardware store and purchase a couple O-rings to fit.

Re: the waterbottle bosses.

Some manufacturers place them low on the seat tube for a lower center of gravity, or to ensure they won't hit a top tube mounted pump when you extract the bottle. They may be a bit lazy to vary the location based on frame size. On my mountain bike they are positioned low like yours and I have no problem with reaching the bottle, but my frame is small. I checked the Dean web site; all their road bikes are built this way so it's not like you weren't informed of the issue.

Be thankful; I had one custom frame where the bosses where located such that I couldn't mount a front derailleur at all. I had to send the frame back to correct the problem.
    The cable splitters have the O-rings. Still rattles when I hit bumps in the road. I put some frame tape where the splitters make contact to soften it up and it does help a bit.

I was thinking that the bosses were low for center of gravity but then I thought it may be for the S&S. Looking at their website now, it does show all their current road frames with bosses split between the derailleur band. But looking at the gallery, looks like it is a recent phenomenon. Their older road frames has their bosses above the band.

Dean did a nice job with their website. I hadn't visited their site for a long long time.

Re-Cyclist
    From what I can see, this looks very nice. Too bad the pics are so bad. Try putting the bike against a wall or a better background and in better light.
    Santa Barbara, CA -- My Photo Site -- My Business Site

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2002
    My cable splitters don't rattle, in fact, until you mentioned yours it never occurred to me that they might rattle. My cabling is very tight.....they are setup so that when they are wound all the way in the cables are very tight.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dajianshan View Post
    Congratulations on getting a DEAN! Exclusive club.
    White on ti is really sharp... always.

Looks nice!
    I'm a huge fan of white bikes. White on ti complements each extremely well. I love the way your Seven turned out!

BTW, there is a Seven Ti with Record 10 and Ksyrium SLs on Philly CL for $2900! It's my size!! But the wife will seriously kill me. Ohhh, how I wish I was made of money!

RoadBikeReview Member
    My first trip (first rides actually) with the Dean. First pics is of my boy and all the gear at the Kona Airport. Second pic is of the bike fitting nicely in the case. 3rd is a view from Kamehameha III road at the end of Ali'i road in Kailua-Kona. The last is (a non-bike pic as you can see) of the wife and child at the Kilauea crater along the Chain of Craters road.

The bike rides really nice and I'm very happy with it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Just Finished Building My DEAN Ti-photo-20.jpg   Just Finished Building My DEAN Ti-photo-16.jpg   Just Finished Building My DEAN Ti-photo-19.jpg   Just Finished Building My DEAN Ti-photo-15.jpg  

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2007
    OK, WOW, the bike looked good in the stand, but out on the road, wow! the white is killer on the Ti! Frame looks great!

Formosan Cyclocross
    Was it worth the wait?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Yeah, I would say that it was worth the wait. Dean makes nice bikes. Too bad they have just about the worst customer service in the all industries.

@ sp3000- thanks bubba. White on Ti looks great. Take a look at Dajianshan's Seven. The white accents on his bike is the best example of white on Ti IMHO.

Formosan Cyclocross
    That does look absolute class! It packs up nicely too. Bravo on the build.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2006

Customer service

Quote Originally Posted by Ride-Fly View Post
    Yeah, I would say that it was worth the wait. Dean makes nice bikes. Too bad they have just about the worst customer service in the all industries.

@ sp3000- thanks bubba. White on Ti looks great. Take a look at Dajianshan's Seven. The white accents on his bike is the best example of white on Ti IMHO.
    Nice Bike, I almost bought a Dean but then I started reading about all there customer service horror stories.

Good Customer service is imperitive to me, as is very high quality. I ended up going with a Moots.