Thread: Just wondering?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2005

Just wondering?

If I can use long reach rim brakes on my 2015 volagi viaje. I have a set of WI MI5 hubs with 135mm rear spacing. I not really all that impressed with the disc brakes anyway and for my kind of riding they are not necessary. I've tried contacting volagi but since Robert's accident thing must be slow in the communication dept. I've attached some pictures. Any help would be appreciated .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Just wondering?-100_1644.jpg   Just wondering?-100_1645.jpg   Just wondering?-100_1646.jpg   Just wondering?-100_1643.jpg  

coaster
    You'd need different rims also. Are there cable stops on the top tube for a rim brake or are you gonna glue some on or just use zip-ties? Also consider that long reach calipers are flexy and generally crappy feeling. I'd either live with it or get a different bike. If you need clearance for big tires there's plenty of frames with V-brake studs and the TRP CX8.4 mini-V brakes on my dad's bike feel great. If you don't run tires bigger than 28mm get a bike with road calipers.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Lelandjt View Post
    You'd need different rims also. Are there cable stops on the top tube for a rim brake or are you gonna glue some on or just use zip-ties? Also consider that long reach calipers are flexy and generally crappy feeling. I'd either live with it or get a different bike. If you need clearance for big tires there's plenty of frames with V-brake studs and the TRP CX8.4 mini-V brakes on my dad's bike feel great. If you don't run tires bigger than 28mm get a bike with road calipers.
    Thanks for the response. I have the WI hubs laced on a set of h plus son archetype rims 28h fr & r would they work? I have only had experience with rim caliper brakes on my bikes. Would the trp cx 8.4 work with the WI wheels? Yes there are stops on the top tube no worry there. Thanks

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by rlrj View Post
    Thanks for the response. I have the WI hubs laced on a set of h plus son archetype rims 28h fr & r would they work? I have only had experience with rim caliper brakes on my bikes. Would the trp cx 8.4 work with the WI wheels? Yes there are stops on the top tube no worry there. Thanks
    Yes but not on that frame. Google some pictures of those brakes and you can see they require two posts to be mounted on.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    Yes but not on that frame. Google some pictures of those brakes and you can see they require two posts to be mounted on.
    I didn't think the trp would work, but would long reach caliper brakes work? Thanks.

is riding in MOPP4
    Your frame can use discs (obviously), and road calipers. The TRP CX 8.4, and similar, require V-brake bosses on the frame. So while they will work with your Archetype rims, there is no way to mount them on your frame.

The easiest thing to do is to mount a spare caliper (hopefully you have one lying around, or take one from an existing bike) on the bike with the Archetype rims to see if you have the reach. Short-reach calipers typically have a reach of between 39-49mm. Long reach calipers typically have a reach of 47-57mm. Extra-long reach start around 55mm and go to 70+mm.

I think Shimano makes some long reach calipers. Velo-Orange has some options too. BTW, what's wrong with your disc brakes?
    Braking - Components

Wake me up when it's alarm green.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Tachycardic View Post
    Your frame can use discs (obviously), and road calipers. The TRP CX 8.4, and similar, require V-brake bosses on the frame. So while they will work with your Archetype rims, there is no way to mount them on your frame.

The easiest thing to do is to mount a spare caliper (hopefully you have one lying around, or take one from an existing bike) on the bike with the Archetype rims to see if you have the reach. Short-reach calipers typically have a reach of between 39-49mm. Long reach calipers typically have a reach of 47-57mm. Extra-long reach start around 55mm and go to 70+mm.

I think Shimano makes some long reach calipers. Velo-Orange has some options too. BTW, what's wrong with your disc brakes?
    Braking - Components

Thanks for the reply. The front measures 55mm and the rear is 70mm so the long reach brakes seem like they would work. My other bike has short reach so I couldn't check using them. The disc brakes are ok it is the wheelset I don't like. I bought a used viaje that I really like for my purpose Winter/threat of rain bike with S-105 components that I bought for an excellent price. I have had to tighten the spokes (true) and get a lot of pinging when I pedal hard or on a incline ( stress relief probably needed) . I had the WI wheels on another bike that I sold lying around that I'm thinking of using and get rid of the volagi wheels instead of rebuilding them. I always liked the WI wheels and I know what I have there is the reason for thinking of the change.

is riding in MOPP4
    So Dia-Compe makes centerpull brakes that will fit. Affordable too. I havent used these in ages, but I'm sure they will be fine with some Kool Stop pads. Min/max reach is 63/78mm. They look a bit old school, but you may like them: https://www.rivbike.com/collections/...l-brakes-15111

Alternatively, you could spend big bucks and go with a set of Paul's: https://www.rivbike.com/collections/...brakeset-15135
    Wake me up when it's alarm green.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Tachycardic View Post
    So Dia-Compe makes centerpull brakes that will fit. Affordable too. I havent used these in ages, but I'm sure they will be fine with some Kool Stop pads. Min/max reach is 63/78mm. They look a bit old school, but you may like them: https://www.rivbike.com/collections/...l-brakes-15111

Alternatively, you could spend big bucks and go with a set of Paul's: https://www.rivbike.com/collections/...brakeset-15135
    Thanks for the suggestions. Now I'm thinking keep the disc brakes and sell the volagi wheels and get a new set of BWW wheels or sell both the volagi and WI sets and get a custom wheelset. I know I don't like the volagi wheels for sure so I'm going to go with one of these options.