RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2006

Kestral evoke sl?

Well...its getting down to the wire to pick a new bike..and I am still wavering....I was very
    impressed with a specialize roubaix elite 2010 which I can get at my LBS for 1700. It
    was very comfortable and a relaxed kind of position. The only drawback is...its really heavy
    at 19+ lbs.

I got a chance to ride an 09 Kestral evoke sl at another local shop yesterday...this is a totally
    different animal...more race oriented, only 16 lbs...comes with sram force and krysium wheels and I think I can get it out the door for 1500. This bike is quite a bit stiffer and I would
    have to work on the geometry somewhat...but even being more aggressive...I didn't feel uncomfortable in fact I was able to stand up on the bike with lots of stability...the most impressive thing was the way my pedal strokes seemed to be more powerful and connectedon this bike...very fast and sustainable! This is a discontinued company...but
    the equipment on it alone is worth what they are asking.

I really should just buy both...but that is not in the cards right now.

What did you say? Huh?
    The only time weight matters for non-racers is when you have to CX your bike up 12 flights of stairs. Get a bike that fits and is comfortable.
    Man. You are all stuped.
    ~RUFUSPHOTO

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by echelonphoto
    Well...its getting down to the wire to pick a new bike..and I am still wavering....I was very
    impressed with a specialize roubaix elite 2010 which I can get at my LBS for 1700. It
    was very comfortable and a relaxed kind of position. The only drawback is...its really heavy
    at 19+ lbs.

I got a chance to ride an 09 Kestral evoke sl at another local shop yesterday...this is a totally
    different animal...more race oriented, only 16 lbs...comes with sram force and krysium wheels and I think I can get it out the door for 1500. This bike is quite a bit stiffer and I would
    have to work on the geometry somewhat...but even being more aggressive...I didn't feel uncomfortable in fact I was able to stand up on the bike with lots of stability...the most impressive thing was the way my pedal strokes seemed to be more powerful and connectedon this bike...very fast and sustainable! This is a discontinued company...but
    the equipment on it alone is worth what they are asking.

I really should just buy both...but that is not in the cards right now.
    Kestrel is discontinued?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by R1000
    Kestrel is discontinued?
    The Evoke is discontinued I think. The RT800 and RT900 have taken it's place. The Evoke sounds like a good deal though... full Force, good frame, good wheels, $1500. If it fits I say go for it.

Sleep Expert
    19lb bike is heavy? I take it you'll be racing, in hilly/mountainous areas?
    My carbon footprint has cleats

RoadBikeReview Member
    with sram force that's a great price and a nice frameset (ignore the comments bugging you about weight).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2009
    Sounds like you are more excited about the Kestrel. I would ride them both again to make sure.
    Look for road conditions you would typically ride on.
    $1500 seems like a good price. I would check the warranty on both bikes.
    3 lbs is a big difference but would only matter for major climbing.
    It would save you 30 seconds out of 40 minutes on a 10KM 8% climb if that matters to you.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2006
    Well...I bit the bullet and bought the Specialized....have ridden about 20 miles so far...this
    is one smooth ride...very solid feeling and the 105 gears shift really quietly and without
    fanfare...still fiddling with seat height and position. I seem to like it about 1 inch higher
    than they set at the bike shop...seems to get more power to the stroke. So far my
    average speed has not gone up...but its been kinda windy the last few days...so we
    will see.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by echelonphoto
    Well...I bit the bullet and bought the Specialized....have ridden about 20 miles so far...this
    is one smooth ride...very solid feeling and the 105 gears shift really quietly and without
    fanfare...still fiddling with seat height and position. I seem to like it about 1 inch higher
    than they set at the bike shop...seems to get more power to the stroke. So far my
    average speed has not gone up...but its been kinda windy the last few days...so we
    will see.

Too bad you went for the Specialized. I have both a Kestrel RT-900 and a Kestrel Evoke SL.

I use the RT 900 for racing and the evoke sl for training. The evoke is lighter than my RT-900 .

The Evoke SL to me feel stiffer and better quality than the Specialized. With SRAM Force that bike would have been a rocket for you. Oh well, live and learn.

A riding buddy got a 2009 S-works on closeout for $6k and my Evoke SL rival with Ksyrium SL and Dura Ace crankset is lighter by about a pound. I paid $1500 for my full 2009 Evoke SL and just put the spare wheels from the RT-900 since I run zipp 404 on that one.

Really you can not beat the Evoke SL - 800K carbon weave and a 940g frame. Wow!!! The quality of the frame is top notch.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2006
    Hey, Zion,

Thanks for the input...I'm not going to say that if I saw it two days ago...I wouldn't have
    swayed me...the problem is there is little general info about this bike online...I searched pretty thoroughly. I have to say the specialized is definitely stiff and solid enough...it fits me
    pretty well...but I haven't seen any speed increase yet...whether the evoke would have made instantly faster remains to be seen...most posters here agree that even if you are
    racing...the difference is minimal....my seat of the pants test seemed to me that that bike
    WAS really fast and I was able to put power down very efficiently on it. My immediate goal is to increase my average around here...pretty flat
    terrain from 14mph to about 17..so I can ride with a group I tried out last year...I just couldn't quite keep up and comfort was also a problem...I keep getting pains in my hands
    eventually, they become kind of numb...then I really have to rest a few minutes to recover.

I'm going to give the specialized a chance this fall....riding is a learning curve anyway and
    maybe it takes quite a while to settle on the right bike....at any rate...I got a very good
    price and could probably sell this privately for a minimal loss. In the mean time...I may go back to that shop and do an extended test on the Kestral....maybe I'll own both.

RoadBikeReview Member
    You made the right choice in my book, given your comments about fit.
    I've got a short to very short reach and I didn't have to look very long at the Evoke to realize the top tube is too long and the head tube is too short. I bought a Specialized Roubaix Pro frameset (same frame as Elite 1040 grams actual) and transferred my Dura Ace over.
    My bike is around 16.25 lbs with pedals and cages.

Now I don't want you to think that I'm agreeing with your choice because I bought one too.

I've built up a succession of bikes over the past 7 years. Cannondale Caad5, Look 231, Merckx Team SC, Motobecane Le Champion, Pedal Force RS2 and a Schwinn Fastback, putting plenty of miles on all of them. The Specialized is the best frame of the bunch, being very stiff in the front end and bb, just where a bike should be stiff.

If you want to make that frame light, you can get it into the 14+ lb range if you want to. It'll just cost you.

What you won't get is a sore neck from trying to see up the road.

RoadBikeReview Member

Also

A new bike won't make you faster. Only you can make you faster. Don't look for speed increases they won't happen unless your old bike had near frozen bearings.

Lost in translation
    The interesting thing is that you compared two vastly different bikes. The Roubaix with the Zertz seat stays makes for a plush ride. At first, I thought it was just a gimmick, but after riding one around, I could tell it absorbed road imperfections nicely. A little too nicely for my tastes: it felt almost spongy.

So my #2 bike (behind my Merlin Extralight) is an Evoke SL. Stiff and responsive. And the CF provides plenty of cush over bumps, but eliminates any bb sway under power. Kestrel contracts them out of China these days, and exerts good quality control. Really well made frameset for the price. (Fuji owns them now?)

You couldn't go wrong with either bike...it just depends on your tastes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2006

update on bike

Well...did my first mountain ride on the roubaix and I think I made a good choice with
    this bike...I was able to do the fairly moderate hills...long gradual climbs with out
    stopping...although on steeper inclines I did wish for a bigger gear than the 27 on this
    cassette. The bike feels really solid...but the brakes def need something...I went down
    a mile long descent and really struggled to keep the speed down below 30.

i am wondering if my sram 11-28 cassette woud do the trick...but I really like the
    spacing and smoothness of the shimano 12-27.

I did experience hand discomfort on my 20 mile trip..what can I do for this?