RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2009

Kestrel Talon SL Road VS Motobecane Immortal Spirit

Please help.

I have narrow my search down to two bikes. I have been on both and they fit very similar. The Motobecane is equiped pretty well including components and rims, it is also very light.

The Kestrel is still equipted well, but appears just a notch below. The Kestrel may make up for this with aerodynamics. I plan to use either for regular 20-40 mile training rides and the occasional triathalon. At this time I am a mountain biker ridding a Kona Columbus tube steel bike.

I could care less about brand I just want to be sure I go with the better option of these two. My budget is capped at $2k including tax/shipping. If I went with any of the name brands I would be in a aluminum with carbon forks and 105 components.

Here are the links below with the descriptions/specs.

Please help...Much appreciated!

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...on_sl_road.htm

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...spirit7900.htm

What did you say? Huh?
    You're dealing with 2 very different bikes.

I can only speak for the Talon-but they handle like you'd expect a TT/Tri bike to handle. They are dead stable and confident at speed, but do not like to turn IME. They also are incredibly stiff--if you're wanting something more comfy it may well not be your thing.
    Man. You are all stuped.
    ~RUFUSPHOTO

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2004
    I don't know what Marc was looking at, but I don't see a TT bike anywhere. These are both fine road bikes. It comes down to you. Would you prefer a road race driven bike name like Kestrel that fitted the Rock Racing team this year. Or would you prefer to own Dura Ace on a nice frame that is not as big a name?
    I choose the Kestrel.
    Make sure and get the one you really love, it will make you ride more.
    With people like Peter P. around, I am done posting on this website. Mean people have driven me off after 9 plus years. Good luck newbies beware.

Embrace your inner Fred
    I cant speak on the Talon but I currently have the Immortal Spirit and absolute love it. Bike is fast and handles great. Very comfortable ride and at 6'6" 240lbs I havent detected any flex as of yet. I have the 09 version that came with the WCS Protocols and they are great wheels for the price. Strong and no problems so far.

If you do decide on the Immortal Spirit I'll caution you to not ride the bike with the stock brake pads it comes with unless they upgraded them for 2010 model. If not they are horrible and will scrape up your rim. Get some Koolstops or the brake pads of your choice asap. Also the seat isnt the best for me. Some like it so you may. The pedals are cheap and not up to the calibur of the rest of the bike so I changed em to some sweet Look Keo's.

The bike is a great deal with DA7900 that you will get now since its the 2010 version. Not many Immortal Spirit owners on here suprisingly but most of us love it. Check out the reviews on this site for both bikes. It may give you some good info that may lead you in the direction that best suits your needs, likes or wants.

Just because of the DA bits I just couldnt pass up the IM Spirit for that Kestrel but that Kestrel frame is a looker. That would be the deal breaker for me. Better components on the Im Spirit for about $100 more than the Kestrel. Kestrel has the better looking frame though. If the DA/FSA bits were on the Kestrel Id choose Kestrel.
    Last edited by Snakebitten; 06-22-2009 at 12:51 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2009

Thank you for your response!

Thank you for your response!

Embrace your inner Fred
    Sooooo. Which one did you choose?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2009

RE: Motobecane

I ended up purchasing the Motobecane Imortal Spirit. It comes today. These responses helped me make my final decision.

Thanks again!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooben
    I don't know what Marc was looking at, but I don't see a TT bike anywhere. These are both fine road bikes. It comes down to you. Would you prefer a road race driven bike name like Kestrel that fitted the Rock Racing team this year. Or would you prefer to own Dura Ace on a nice frame that is not as big a name?
    I choose the Kestrel.
    Make sure and get the one you really love, it will make you ride more.
    The Kestrel is a TT frame set up as a road bike, so he was just talking about how a TT frame set up like that may not handle as well as a straight up road bike. Regardless of that, hopefully the OP will report back on the Spirit and let us know how it is.

Embrace your inner Fred
    Quote Originally Posted by skierxtrem
    I ended up purchasing the Motobecane Imortal Spirit. It comes today. These responses helped me make my final decision.

Thanks again!
    Glad we were able to help out. Let us know how you like it once you put it through its paces for a bit. Dont forget to check the brake pads before you ride. They will scrape your rims and dont stop very well if its the same as the 09 I got. Everything else is subjective.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2009
    Well I had it built ($60) The guy is a racer, builds his own custom bikes and said this was an awesome bike for the money. The 53cm fits me perfect and I love it. It is super light! I ended up purchasing it from Sportymama bikes on line versus discountbikes. The reason I went with sporty mama was that she actually had a number for me to call and a I spoke with her. Her service was great. Same deal delivered with pedals and all for under $2k.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2009

Brake Pad replacement suggestions for Immortal Spirit

Well I road 45 miles with rolling hills today and as everyone else has pointed out the brake pads used on the Immortal Spirit (Cane Creek SCR6 brakes) are terrible. Can you guys offer some suggestions on replacement pads? I appreciate it! This bike is awesome other than that, it is a great climber.

Embrace your inner Fred
    Get some Swiss Stop or Kool Stop pads asap. Either one is good. Anything is better than the crap the bike comes with. Glad you liked the ride.