RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2009

Kestrel Talon vs Cervelo P1

Hi folks, I am trying to choose between these two bikes. Any advice appreciated.

Kestrek talon full carbon w/ 105 components - $1500 online
    Cervelo P1 w/ Ultegra - $1300 + tax at LBS

I am planning to ride on the road, sometimes with groups, and a few triathlons. So either bike would be work.

Basically it comes down to whether a carbon Kestrel online or an aluminum Cervelo at LBS.

Thanks a lot.

Cheers,
    Darwin

banned
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by darwin2611 View Post
    Hi folks, I am trying to choose between these two bikes. Any advice appreciated.

Kestrek talon full carbon w/ 105 components - $1500 online
    Cervelo P1 w/ Ultegra - $1300 + tax at LBS

I am planning to ride on the road, sometimes with groups, and a few triathlons. So either bike would be work.

Basically it comes down to whether a carbon Kestrel online or an aluminum Cervelo at LBS.

Thanks a lot.

Cheers,
    Darwin
    Cervelo have a nice record, but at the end of the day. The Rider makes the bike so if you go for what you like the best and you think is the best you cant go wrong.
    Id get the Cervelo with Ultegra.

OR

Get a China FM018 and build up with Sram stuff and lol at all your friends :P
    Last edited by Chadwick890; 01-12-2012 at 05:58 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Which one fits better? However, based on price, components and where you're purchasing from, the Cervelo looks like the better buy. Both are high quality bikes from respectable companies so those are the criteria I would go by.

RoadBikeReview Member
    If you are going to be road and group riding, with a 'few' triathlons, I would get a road bike with some clip on aero bars. Not a tri bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    It sounds like you won't have the opportunity to ride both bikes since you are looking at the internet for the Talon...if you can find one locally to test ride...I'd suggest riding both.

Chances are the Talon will have a better ride than the S1 since it's a fairly harsh riding bike (I have a buddy that rides one)...but the fit of the Talon may or not be for you.

Given that you want to do some Triathlons with the bike...the best of the two is the Talon with a very easy and adjustable seat tube angle (up to 76 degrees I believe), while the newer S1's don't have the adjustable they used to (unless it's an older model with reversible seatpost).

Ideally...make sure the bike fits first for what ever your primary use will be (Road riding or Triathlons) and make your decision based on that. If they both work, go off of which feels best (if you can ride them both).

If I were picking in your situation...I'd go with the Talon.
    Bikes:
    • 2013 Scott Foil 40
    • 2013 Jamis Nova Race (winter training bike)
    • 2012 Argon 18 E-118

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2009
    Thank you for the input folks.

Looks like opinion is divided between the two and I wouldn't go wrong with either. I will try to ride both and see which fits better.

I will post back on the purchase soon.

Thanks again.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Another vote for the Talon. The P1 is a pretty impressively aero bike for a budget aluminum build, but the Talon is a really nice riding carbon frame, and a bargain.
    Get a better saddle: www.kontactbike.com

RoadBikeReview Member
    yup, i agree with Kotact, i would go with the Talon over the P1, much more versatile bike if you ever wanna just ride road.

RoadBikeReview Member

Unhappy

I'm not sure if this is turning more into a carbon vs, aluminum thread with the responses or these are actually S1 vs. Talon threads. I have ridden the current Talon and it didn't feel very responsive to me. Also, the S1 didn't feel like a harsh riding bike either. Whenever I start hearing about ride quality and material in the same response, I have a feeling it's the carbon rides better school of thought. The S1 is a great bike and shouldn't be discredited. The ride is actually very compliant- well at least my neighbor's S1 was when I did a 35 mile ride on it. Talons are good rides too but either would be an excellent all-around bike. Just because carbon is the fad doesn't make it better. I like these questions but so many people are sold on marketing hype that their opinion are mostly based on what they've read. Example? The most of the people running to BB30 now are the same people that ripped on it years ago when Cannondale brought it out. Now it's okay because everyone's doing it. I give opinions too but you're buying the bike,OP. You can't go wrong with either. Noone can tell you which one will be better. They are both great bikes so it's a matter of preference. If carbon is so greart, I have a full carbon Felt F1 Sprint that will jar your fillings out.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Love my '08 Talon and it is a really smooth riding bike. I haven't ridden an S1, so I can't comment, but my Talon is a much better ride than my previous aluminum bike. I don't know how much they've changed to this point, but I would suspect they've kept the nice feel.
    Kestrel Talon Road, Campy 10, Zonda wheels
    Litespeed Firenze, Campy 10, Joe Young Custom Wheels
    Nashbar Generic single speed, Khamsin wheels

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by terbennett View Post
    I'm not sure if this is turning more into a carbon vs, aluminum thread with the responses or these are actually S1 vs. Talon threads. I have ridden the current Talon and it didn't feel very responsive to me. Also, the S1 didn't feel like a harsh riding bike either. Whenever I start hearing about ride quality and material in the same response, I have a feeling it's the carbon rides better school of thought. The S1 is a great bike and shouldn't be discredited. The ride is actually very compliant- well at least my neighbor's S1 was when I did a 35 mile ride on it. Talons are good rides too but either would be an excellent all-around bike. Just because carbon is the fad doesn't make it better. I like these questions but so many people are sold on marketing hype that their opinion are mostly based on what they've read. Example? The most of the people running to BB30 now are the same people that ripped on it years ago when Cannondale brought it out. Now it's okay because everyone's doing it. I give opinions too but you're buying the bike,OP. You can't go wrong with either. Noone can tell you which one will be better. They are both great bikes so it's a matter of preference. If carbon is so greart, I have a full carbon Felt F1 Sprint that will jar your fillings out.
    Nope, not a carbon vs. aluminum thing. I work at a Cervelo dealer and sell P1s.
    Get a better saddle: www.kontactbike.com

banned
    Oct 2010
    You do realise the thread is about a P1 not a S1 just throwing it out there. For those that seem to miss the point.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chadwick890 View Post
    You do realise the thread is about a P1 not a S1 just throwing it out there. For those that seem to miss the point.
    My apologies everyone. (I will now insert my foot in my mouth)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Yeah, me too. Sorry.
    Kestrel Talon Road, Campy 10, Zonda wheels
    Litespeed Firenze, Campy 10, Joe Young Custom Wheels
    Nashbar Generic single speed, Khamsin wheels

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008
    I think that the fit of the P1 and Talon is going to be noticeably different. The Cervelo is going to be lower and longer in comparison to the talons of similar sizes (i.e., the Talon has more stack and less reach).

I don't know which will be better for you as that depends a lot on your flexibility and what you're looking for in a bike.

I can't comment on the Talon (I've never ridden one), but I have ridden a Cervelo Dual, P2SL, P2 and P4. The comfort and ride characteristics (handling) of the Cervelo bikes are quite good. Even the aluminum models are just as comfortable as the carbon ones.

If you get a chance to try them out, do let us know what your experiences was like.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2009
    Thanks for the all the input folks.

I went with the Kestrel Talon. The comments here on the smoothness of the Talon were spot on. Based on my two rides so far (10 miles and 25 miles), the bike rides much smoother than the Bianchi via Nirone I had before. My hands felt none of the jarring I have experienced before. The 55 cm bike fits me well (I am 5' 11"). However, I didn't try the Cervelo, so I couldn't compare.

Versatility was another factor, since I would be able to ride in a group and participate in road cycling events. Also I was quite apprehensive of riding a tri-bike on roads; I have the handling abilities of a duck.

I will update after I get to ride more.

Thanks again.

banned
    Jan 2012
    Personally, I would choose carbon over aluminum any day of the week.

In the past Cerverlo had some quality control issues with frames not being properly aligned and seatposts slipping. Cervelo has improved over the years but you should read all reviews that you can find for the year and model before you take the plunge when it comes to Cervelos.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by darwin2611 View Post
    Thanks for the all the input folks.

I went with the Kestrel Talon. The comments here on the smoothness of the Talon were spot on. Based on my two rides so far (10 miles and 25 miles), the bike rides much smoother than the Bianchi via Nirone I had before. My hands felt none of the jarring I have experienced before. The 55 cm bike fits me well (I am 5' 11"). However, I didn't try the Cervelo, so I couldn't compare.

Versatility was another factor, since I would be able to ride in a group and participate in road cycling events. Also I was quite apprehensive of riding a tri-bike on roads; I have the handling abilities of a duck.

I will update after I get to ride more.

Thanks again.
    How is the Talon performing after a few of months? I'm considering buying one and wanted to get some opinions from recent buyers.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2009
    I am getting used to the bike, so the handling is getting better. I was quite comfortable going down descents at 40 mph. The bike is also quick on hills. The longest I have ridden is 42 miles, and the ride was comfortable. Other riders complement on the bike's look. What's annoying is that the seat always tilts down a little from the position I set it. Overall satisfied.

The caveat is that the only other bike I ever rode was a Bianchi Via Nirone. So I wouldn't know how the Kestrel compares against other carbon road bikes. But for the price, $ 1400, the carbon bike with 105 components is a bargain.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I hate to have to keep pointing this out, but the fit of two appropriately sized frames can almost always be made to be essentially identical by proper selection of components (seat post, stem, bars) and setup.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by looigi View Post
    I hate to have to keep pointing this out, but the fit of two appropriately sized frames can almost always be made to be essentially identical by proper selection of components (seat post, stem, bars) and setup.
    Well, I agree to this when we are talking about road bike. I disagree with this statement when you are referring to TT fit. Particularly, I find that the 'stack' of a frame can really be the biggest limiting factor in fit and what kind of position you can get your body into. Reach can easily be compensated for with a longer / shorter stem and is more relevant to road fit.

These two bike appear to have very different thoughts on bike geometry. Your statement "...almost always to be essentially identical..." is a very weak statement. I certainly wouldn't apply these two broad brush strokes to these bikes. Certainly, He 'could' ride either, but one one may be better suited for his riding style and flexibility.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012
    I just ordered the 2011 model for $1300. I liked how it feels and the fact that I plan on using it for "regular" rides and to start doing triathlons and therefore the geometry helps on using one bike for both (and the price is pretty good). For now I just wanted one bike to get the feel and depending on how much I like it, I might invest in something more specefic later on. Thanks for the feedback and keep enjoying your ride.