dwl
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012

KHS Flite 250 wheel recommendation

I recently purchased a KHS Flite 250 flat bar road bike(2008 possibly) to use for my winter commute. For the money, it is perfect. Whisper quiet, shifts perfectly, and very smooth riding. The only 2 things that I'd like to upgrade are the wheels, primarily, and the brakes.

Frame: CrMo 4130 Double butted 3-main w/carrier bosses
    Fork: Carbon w/Alloy steerer
    Headset: Cane Creek Aheadset
    Rims: Weinmann XTR16 Doublewall w/CNC sidewall
    Hubs: Formula alloy QR, Cassette
    Tires: Kenda Kontender 700X26C
    Front Derailleur: Shimano FD-R440
    Rear Derailleur: Shimano RD-2200
    Shifters: Shimano ST-R221 for Flat Bar
    Chain: KMC Z82
    Crankset: Alloy Forged 50/34
    Bottom Bracket: Sealed cartridge
    Cassette: SRAM PG-850 11-28, 8 Speed
    Pedals: Resin w/steel cage
    Seatpost: Alloy Micro-adjust
    Saddle: KHS Road Padded
    Handlebar: Alloy Flat Bar, 580mm
    Brake Levers: Shimano ST-R221 for Flat Bar
    Brakes: Alloy dual pivot

The problem is the rear dropout is 126mm. I've only got back into cycling for about 7 months so there's a lot I don't know about, so excuse the silly questions. Is there any off the shelf wheels that would fit this, or do I have to have a LBS build a set. I was thinking down the road of possibly going to 10 speed, but I guess with the rear dropout spacing that's not going to happen. Or can I? The brakes are adequate, but the pads are going to wear out quickly. I don't know if there are better replacement pads for these brakes or not. I don't know the manufacturer of the brakes(No name or part# on brakes). One more ramble and I'm done. The Kenda Kontender wheels(26mm) roll as smooth as silk(No road vibration). Any better quality tire to recommend?

Big is relative
    The rear dropout is not 126mm, you have an 8 speed cassette, it's 130mm as are almost all road bikes for the last 20+ years. Just ride it like it is, different wheels aren't going to be magical. Alloy dual pivot brakes are probably shimano clones like Tektro, they likely take shimano style pads. Cheap caliper brakes can instantly become decent brakes with the addition of some Koolstop pads. Just about any bike shop will carry Koolstops and they're easy to install.
    Retired sailor