RoadBikeReview Member

KHS Flite 700. Is it a good bike?

I went to my lbs and saw the KHS Flite 700, it looks like it is of good quality, but I have never heard of KHS. Does anyone own a KHS bike? If you do, are they good bikes?

RoadBikeReview Member
    I own two KHS bikes, and they have been great. KHS is one of only several Taiwan based bike makers that have their own factory. Their US office is in So. CA and they have promptly responded to my questions.
    '00 TiSports Titanium - DA 9 speed------.--- '01 KHS Flite 800 - DA/Utegra 9 speed mix
    Ellsworth Flight - Ultegra 10 speed -..'03 Basso Coral - Ultegra 10 speed
    '03 Specialized Allez Pro - DA 10 speed .'04 Scattante CFR Limited - DA 9 speed
    '05 KHS Flite 2000 - Ultegra 9 speed -..... '06 Flyte SRS-3 - DA 9 speed-------
    '05 Serotta Fierte - Utegra 10 speed--......-'07 Pedal Force RS - SRAM Force

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2006
    Khs is good stuff for the $$, I had a warranty job and their cust. service took care of me with no questions asked .

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    I personally have the Flight 300. Even though it's a Tiagra/Sora level regarding the components I've ridden a few thousand miles on it and it's been great.
    p.s. and for all you SS freaks out there...ya' know, some people want to go faster than what gravity allows when going downhill. I'm just sayin'....

To bad carbon bikes don't have the same abilities as our carbon based bodies....namely, the ability to regenerate after an accident.

Even logic must eventually give way to understanding

Out of work goaltender
    I've had a flite 700 for a couple years. It's very different from the one in the shop you saw based on recent changes to the model I think. Mine's been solid, reasonably light, and pretty comfortable. I've got a couple thousand miles on it without any issues but recently upgraded to a bianchi for my main bike. KHS is a very generous sponsor to our collegiate cycling team and all the guys I know who ride them (including some 07 models) are very happy with them.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Alright, thanks, it's good to know that they are a good company before I pay big $$$.

RoadBikeReview Member

you might want to enquire...

about the problems associated with 2003 Flite 700 models...I have one (now converted into a TT bike) of which I've cracked the frame on 3 times. All were warrantied, but apparently the 2003 models were welded incorrectly around the drive side chain stay resulting in weakened joints and cracked tubes. I heard this was prevalent in the Flite 2000 models also. Depending on your usage, the bike is or isn't very good. if you're climbing and/or racing a lot, expect a LOT of BB movement as that area is typically quite soft in the KHS. this might be remedied in the current versions, but that's just my experience..
    other than that, they're your typical aluminum bike...

RoadBikeReview Member
    I am going to do alot of riding this summer (some races and training rides all summer) so I need a reliable bike. Hearing of the problems with the frame makes me wary of buying the khs, but I am looking at an '06 model, so they have had alot of time to fix any major problems since '03. It has a tiagra front derailleur and shifters with an ultegra rear derailleur, but I could pay 50$ more to get a Trek 1500 with all 105 components. Which one looks best?

RoadBikeReview Member
    These are the specs for the KHS Flite 700-
    Frame-
    Alloy 6061 Double Butted w/curved carbon wishbone
    seat stays, replaceable derailleur hanger
    Fork- Carbon w/Alloy steerer
    Headset- FSA Orbit IS-2 Integrated
    Rims- Shimano R500
    Front Derailleur- Shimano Tiagra
    Rear Derailleur- Shimano Ultegra
    Shifters- Shimano Tiagra
    Chain- KMC Z9000
    Crankset- Alloy Forged 50/34 w/alloy CNC ring
    Bottom Bracket- ISIS spline, Sealed cartridge
    Cassette- SRAM PG950 11-26, 9 Speed
    Pedals- Wellgo clipless
    Seatpost- Alloy Micro-adjust
    Saddle- San Marco Ponza Lux
    Handlebar- Alloy 31.8 O/S
    Stem- Alloy 3D Forged, 31.8 O/S
    Tape- Padded Tape
    Brake Levers- Shimano Tiagra
    Brakes- Tektro dual pivot
    Color Flat Black, Flat Dirty Titanium
    Frame Size S, M, L, XL, XXL

RoadBikeReview Member
    And these are the specs for the Trek 1500-
    Frameset
    Sizes 50, 52, 54, 56, 58, 60, 63cm
    Frame- Alpha SLR Aluminum
    Fork- Bontrager Approved, carbon
    Wheels
    Wheels- Bontrager Select
    Tires- Bontrager Race Lite, 700x25c
    Drivetrain
    Shifters- Shimano 105 STI, 9 speed
    Front Derailleur- Shimano 105
    Rear Derailleur- Shimano 105
    Crank- Shimano 105 53/39 or 52/42/30
    Cassette- Shimano HG50, 12-25, 9 speed
    Pedals- Alloy/nylon road w/clips and straps
    Components
    Saddle- Bontrager Race Basic Lux
    Seat Post- Bontrager Carbon
    Handlebars- Bontrager Select, 31.8mm
    Stem- Bontrager Select, 17 degree, 31.8mm
    Headset- Aheadset w/semi-cartridge bearings, semi-integrated, sealed, alloy
    Brakeset- Alloy dual pivot w/Shimano 105 STI

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2006
    Both are good bikes. I would pay the extra $50 to get the 105 equiped bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    For $50 more get the Trek. The components are just that much better. By far more $50 worth better. The KHS would still be a great bike and hold up just fine but you might as well get the most you can for your money.
    p.s. and for all you SS freaks out there...ya' know, some people want to go faster than what gravity allows when going downhill. I'm just sayin'....

To bad carbon bikes don't have the same abilities as our carbon based bodies....namely, the ability to regenerate after an accident.

Even logic must eventually give way to understanding

RoadBikeReview Member

if the Trek fits you...

I would personally go that direction...like I said, KHS may have remedied the problem of the 2003 models...also, something that often gets overlooked by new buyers...
    what is the warranty of the KHS vs. Trek? KHS I think is one year...I would assume Trek to be longer...which is important if you're a new rider and expect to be getting stronger on the bike (ie. you'll be applying more force into the frame).

take them both out for a ride and see which feels more solid in the BB area...check out the warranty....but I have to admit the 105 components on the Trek are a good selling point.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I will probably get the trek. I just wish it came stock with a compact double, but it will only take 100$ or so to change, so no big deal.

Cowboy up
    For less than $100 you can get a 12-27 casette and a 38 tooth ring for the front and get your gearing about as low as a compact with 34 front 25 rear on it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Ya, that sounds good, I'll have to look and see what my LBS has next time I go.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2007
    I've had the 2007 Flite 700 for 3 weeks now and I'm happy with my purchase. The bike does have some weak points (seat, seatpost, stem, handlebars), but if its fits you well as well as your budget, I certianly don't think you'd be making a bad purchase.

Bahueh: How quickly did these frame failures occur? I'm a 220lbs mountain biker who packs a lot of leg power, so if this bikes survives me, it should survive anybody. TIme will tell.

Cheers