RoadBikeReview Member

Kudos to Spyder Composites on Cervelo frame repair...

Long story, short: Cervelo R3 + iPhone in rear wheel = shattered seat stay.

Options:

• New Frame - $2400
    • Highly recommended carbon repair shop: $500 repair + $100 paint + $50 shipping
    • Spyder Composites: $160 xray/repair/paint + $42 shipping

Based on some investigation and asking around I was comfortable that Spyder could do as good/better as anyone else out there.

Had my LBS strip and ship the frame. When they received it back last week they called and said the work was top-notch. They actually checked the serial number, saying they thought perhaps it wasn't my frame.

Picked it up tonight, and was truly/pleasantly surprised at the quality of the work. Looks as close to new as could be imagined. If you're not familiar with the seat stays on a Cervelo, they aren't much thicker than your typical #2 pencil...

Even after close inspection I had to stop and think hard about which side had been damaged... since damage/repair was obvious on neither side.

Sadly, January weather here in NJ (plus some work and personal commitments) dictates that it will be a week or so before I get out on it again.

Thanks to Frank and the team at Spyder Composites!

Ray
    "It ain't a teacup that the Queen gave you - it's a bike. Ride it!"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RJP Diver View Post
    Long story, short: Cervelo R3 + iPhone in rear wheel = shattered seat stay.

Options:

• New Frame - $2400
    • Highly recommended carbon repair shop: $500 repair + $100 paint + $50 shipping
    • Spyder Composites: $160 xray/repair/paint + $42 shipping

Based on some investigation and asking around I was comfortable that Spyder could do as good/better as anyone else out there.

Had my LBS strip and ship the frame. When they received it back last week they called and said the work was top-notch. They actually checked the serial number, saying they thought perhaps it wasn't my frame.

Picked it up tonight, and was truly/pleasantly surprised at the quality of the work. Looks as close to new as could be imagined. If you're not familiar with the seat stays on a Cervelo, they aren't much thicker than your typical #2 pencil...

Even after close inspection I had to stop and think hard about which side had been damaged... since damage/repair was obvious on neither side.

Sadly, January weather here in NJ (plus some work and personal commitments) dictates that it will be a week or so before I get out on it again.

Thanks to Frank and the team at Spyder Composites!

Ray
    I remember your post from when it happened. Glad it worked out with Spyder Composites. Thanks for the follow up on the repair.
    2013 Lynskey R230. Campagnolo Chorus 11 group-set. Campagnolo Neutron Ultra wheel-set. Easton EC90 aero handlebars on 3T team stem. Specialized Romin Expert 155mm saddle. Look Keo Carbon Blade pedals. Garmin Edge 800. Lizard skin tape.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2008
    o.0

My jaw is on the floor. I didn't see the first time around, but I'm SO gad that you got it fixed. I raced for quite a while on a repaired R3 seatstay.

Old and Fixed, Moderator
    Good to know there is an alternative to Calfee...

Glad it got repaired
    Dave Hickey/ Fort Worth

My 3Rensho Blog: http://vintage3rensholove.blogspot.com/