RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2007

Leader 730R bike build

Well, after weeks of reading all the information found in these forums I pulled the trigger on a new project. Back in high school I road an old steel frame Murray followed by an old steel frame Schwinn. I haven't ridden a road bike since, but figured I would jump right in with a bike build-up. I complete disassembled and rebuilt the old steel frames years ago, so I am not afraid of the mechanical portion of building a bike. As a matter of fact, thatís why I decided to build one; as that is half the fun! Of course I fully expect this to be a learning experience with a few bumps in the road. (no pun intended)

So I figured since this site gave me plenty of insight into the modern bike world, I would share my build and experiences here. Once I get all components I will post pictures and thoughts of each. I purchased the following items from a number of sites; trying to get the best possible price but still get what I wanted. I found a few items on ebay which saved a few dollars; but the others were ordered from leaderbikestore, pricepoint, aebike, and beyondbikes.

Leader 730R 62cm black frameset
    Leader i806 aero fork
    Leader carbon expanding topcap
    Cane Creek IS6 headset
    Easton Vista SL wheelset
    Campagnolo Veloce groupset
    FSA SL-K carbon seatpost
    FSA OS-140 stem
    Reynolds Race AL handlebar
    Selle Itaila Trans Am saddle
    Vitorria Zaffiro Pro tires
    Continental Light tubes
    Cateye Strada Wireless computer

Without shipping, the parts come to just under 1300. Yes, I know I could have ordered a complete kit from Leader with 105 group for under 1100, but I enjoyed hunting down components and I wanted to give Campy a try. I haven't added up the weight of each item, but I plan on doing so. I could have saved some weight going with the road fork instead of the full aero fork, but I found the aero fork on ebay for half price; couldn't pass that up. Plus, if anything it should look cool. The wheels are listed at 1695 grams; of course there are lighter sets available, but I couldn't justify the price increase to save 200-250 grams.

Thanks for all the information I gained from this site and I look forward to posting my build!

i like whiskey
    That will be a nice build. But you left out a very important detail. What color frame did you get? And what color saddle and bar tape are you using. Very important things we MUST know.

With a 62cm frame, I assume you are a bigger guy. I'd be slightly concerned that the Vista wheels are underbuilt. But that depends on your weight. Otherwise, very nice.

Post pics as you build and of the finished product. And of course post a review when your cost per mile gets below $1.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2007
    innergel--my apologies...frame and saddle are both black. I have some black bar tape I'll probably use also. If it is too "boring" I might switch it up. I was going to get the Campagnolo Khamsin gold wheels, but for the same price I saved 200 grams in weight and I am hoping the hubs on the Eastons are better than the lowend campy.

I hope the wheels will hold up--I'm relatively light at 160lb. Wasn't able to find weight limit information on those wheels.

i like whiskey
    Quote Originally Posted by mcfly1883
    innergel--my apologies...frame and saddle are both black. I have some black bar tape I'll probably use also. If it is too "boring" I might switch it up. I was going to get the Campagnolo Khamsin gold wheels, but for the same price I saved 200 grams in weight and I am hoping the hubs on the Eastons are better than the lowend campy.

I hope the wheels will hold up--I'm relatively light at 160lb. Wasn't able to find weight limit information on those wheels.
    The full stealth look can be nice if done right. Either way, swapping out bar tape to something different is very cheap and gives the bike a whole new look. Black bikes with white saddle and tape are very hip lately. You could also go something like red tires and bar tape. I've seen a black Leader decked out like that and it looks very good.

If you are 160lbs, the Vista's should be fine. I ride a 63cm but I'm 6'5" and weigh 225lbs, so you must have really longs legs or be really skinny. No way they would hold up under my weight. I've been known to break spokes on 32 hole rims with frightening regularity. I'd like to think it was my considerable power output, but most likely it's my considerable non-aeroness.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2007

weight...

I forgot to mention that I am purchasing the groupset from gvhbikes. They have been extremely helpful in answering my questions and by ordering the black finish that they do not keep in stock.

I did some calculations to see what the "estimated" weight of this build will be. I used published specs; the only ones not from the manufacturer are the frame and fork. Leaders ebay store listed the i806 aero fork as "under 520 grams" and I could only find the weight of the frame as 3.1 lbs listed at this forum site. I figured they are at least close estimates.

Frame 1406
    Fork 520
    Headset 80
    Stem 138
    Handlebars 260
    Crank 821
    Cassette 250
    BB Cups 49
    Chain 258
    Brifters 351
    Front Derail 98
    Rear Derail 250
    Cable Guide 5
    Brakes 349
    Wheels 1697
    Ti Skewers 80
    Tubes 160
    Tires 480
    Seatpost 280
    Saddle 270

Total: 7802 grams = 17.2 pounds

Of course this doesn't include pedals, cables, and bar tape. I haven't decided on pedals yet, but I am leaning towards a set of Crank Brothers; just not sure which ones. I could save some grams by going with a typical road fork, lighter wheels, and a lighter saddle; but I'll save those options as possible upgrades for the future.

Once you start adding it up it's amazing how a few grams here or there really make a difference! Not that weight is my top concern, but it is interesting to ponder.
    Last edited by mcfly1883; 10-31-2007 at 07:16 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2004
    +
    Brake Pads
    Top Cap/ Star nut
    Cages
    Seat clamp
    Cables/Housing/Ends
    Spacers
    Rim Strips
    Pedals
    Bar end plugs

Will be under 20, maybe 19. It's amazing how all the little things add up, and the manufacturers weights are usually really rough estimates. Have you used Crank Bros. before? Any particular reason you are choosing them? I think for road there are better options.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2007
    I knew this was a rough estimate and there will be additions as the build takes place. With the addition of cables, brake pads, top cap, bar plugs/tape, and possibly pedals I might still be 18lbs or under. Might. Seat clamp is part of the seat tube and I probably won't run cages depending on the length of the ride. Pedals will probably break the weight bank. But it's all good.

I haven't used crank bros but I know several people that do, for both mountain and road, and they have had good luck with them. I am going into the pedal choice knowing that I might not like them and end up changing them after several rides. Good ole' trial and error I suppose. I guess that's what ebay is for...

TheHeadlessThompsonGunner
    Quote Originally Posted by mcfly1883
    I probably won't run cages depending on the length of the ride.
    You usually ride less than, say, thirty minutes at a time, and you're worried about having a bike that's under 18 lbs? First, that's not light. Second, the only reason to have light bike is to ride it up hills...and my 19.5 lb custom steel rig can attest to weight not matter much there, either, unless you count yourself among the ProTour ranks. If you're not carrying water (OK, maybe you're using jersey pockets [trackie?] or a CamelBack [God help you...]), you're not going up any hills.

So, why no bottle cages?
    "I've courted brain damage like some courtesan of darkness."

-The Good Doctor

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2007
    applesauce--I was never saying it is a light bike, nor am I concerned about the weight. As I stated before it is merely interesting to think about. My previous bikes were steel framed hogs from the 1980's so anything I get now will be lighter.

And if I don't ride with water I'm not going up any hills? Odd assumption...