Leader LD-736R Road 58cm
Shimano Ultegra 20speed 12-25 cassette 175mm crank
Carbon Seatpost and Stem
Deda aluminum bars
Bontrager Race Lites
Fizik Arione saddle
Time RXS Carbon pedals
Cateye Double Wireless CC-CD300DW Computer

(I couldn't find a cool, new, white garage door like everyone else photos their bike in front of, so I went for the ghetto-look garage door. Apologies for the picture quality and/or content...I'm practicing with a new camera)

Spec'd and ordered from Leader's (in San Diego, CA) website and shipped to my door in 100 pieces. I went to a LBS recommended for the mechanics (Manuel) and the owner, Ted Ernst, for build-out and professional fitting afterwards. Refer back to the thread about asking a bike shop to build-out your bike that you didn't buy there....they are hapy to do it. Ted has had a bike shop in Manhattan Beach since 1960.

Here is a little about Ted: http://easyreader.hermosawave.net/news1999/july08/SportsTed Ernst.html

Ted created a little race in Manhattan Beach, CA in 1962 called the Manhattan Beach Grand Prix: http://www.mbgp.com/2004mbgp/overview.htm (this year's race is next weekend.)

I was told he'd spend 2 hours with me to get the bike and I fit as one and then have me come back in a few weeks (60 days or so) and do it again...no charge. Ok, I'm in!

Sure enough, he spent 2 hours with me. I gotta tell you, if I have 1/10th the passion and excitement, knowledge and expertise about anything other than just having regular bowel movements and fighting off alzheimer's at 75 years old like Ted does about life and especially cycling, I'll be a happy m'fer. Ted rocks the house and is one of the most genuine and funny dudes ever. He has all the tools, carpenter levels and protractors, measuring devices and skills imaginable. There is no stress or strain on any part of my body while I am on the bike....AWESOME. He even measured my bike from stem to stern and wrote down all the lengths and angles on a chart and gave me a copy, put one in my personal file at the shop so when I come back for a re-fit or change the bike in anyway we know from where we started. He rides a Calfee Custom Carbon and sells Bianchis, KHS, Corima, Look, Merlin and few other high-end bikes in the shop...it is newly re-opened and is going to be geared more toward racing than anything....of course, being in Manhattan Beach he has the requisite beach cruisers and some mountian bikes.

I was charged, of course, for the build-out and the personal fitting, but to show a little more love and support for my LBS I bought a seat bag, two tubes, tire levers, CO2 cartridges and inflator, a Topeak multitool and some Hammer Gels from them before I left to complete the whole package. I'll be back to that shop for anything related to my bike.

First ride tomorrow....I couldn't be more stoked.

See less See more
#12 ·
The front end looks a bit odd. I think it's a combination of stem angle, shimano shifters, and the skinny fork.

The aero fork didn't help. I'd think just a standard straight blade fork would be fine.

I'm also not sold on the seat tube. I notice it's "aero" but uses a standard post. All that says to me is extra weight.

I do like the finish though. I have something very similar on a mountain bike.

#16 ·
update: the bike is working flawlessly except for the fizik arione which i have replaced with 4 saddles trying to find one that doesn't murder my taint. only 300 miles so far, all of which i put on in the last month. working for a living and not having time to ride sucks....but i fixed that problem.

the bike is fast, stiff and climbs like a mule even if i don't yet.

also, i took it down to my lbs that built it and had them weigh it: 19lbs with pedals and computer.

not bad.

i could lighten it if i wanted to but i don't see the need. i have a motobecane carbon immortal pro that i just recently bought, new in the box, off of craigslist. i am going to strip it down and rebuild with campy as my super weight-weenie bike...just for kicks.

i'll post that build-up and ride in a separate thread for those that care.

#18 ·
you can "meh" it if you want. i don't mind.

i bought it because i knew i wouldn't see another one on the road like it. to me, it is all about the engine anyway and i'd rather make myself a strong rider than have a more expensive bike that i can't justify, as an engine, turning the pedals. as long as the frame and the wheels are stiff then i'm happy with it. i'd like to change the fork soon, too.

it is my first bike and yes, i will turn it into my all-around racer. the moto i will turn into my climbing/long-ride/century bike.

i'm also about to buy a track bike for the velodrome. my lbs is more of a race shop than a typical all-around bike shop and has a couple of lines on prototype frames that aren't avaliable to general public on which they will make me a deal. think corima and aluminum, for example.

also, i'm about to flip the stem since my cycling fitness is coming up to par; asthetically it will look correct. i don't like the stem either but for the fit at the time it was/is correct. i've also mounted red 23 tires instead of the black 20s that you see above...it improves the look tremendously.

#19 ·
Yeah

I am The Edge said:
you can "meh" it if you want. i don't mind.

i bought it because i knew i wouldn't see another one on the road like it. to me, it is all about the engine anyway and i'd rather make myself a strong rider than have a more expensive bike that i can't justify, as an engine, turning the pedals. as long as the frame and the wheels are stiff then i'm happy with it. i'd like to change the fork soon, too.

it is my first bike and yes, i will turn it into my all-around racer. the moto i will turn into my climbing/long-ride/century bike.

i'm also about to buy a track bike for the velodrome. my lbs is more of a race shop than a typical all-around bike shop and has a couple of lines on prototype frames that aren't avaliable to general public on which they will make me a deal. think corima and aluminum, for example.

also, i'm about to flip the stem since my cycling fitness is coming up to par; asthetically it will look correct. i don't like the stem either but for the fit at the time it was/is correct. i've also mounted red 23 tires instead of the black 20s that you see above...it improves the look tremendously.

I like it, it's a nice looking ride...DEFINITELY need to flip the stem though...I like it though..kind of a stealthy black look....:thumbsup:

#21 ·
Good to hear you liking the 736R frame. I have a 730TT I built up and am going to use for this year's tri season. It started as a multi-sport, but I decided to go full aero/tri on it. I like it a lot, and could certainly see building out another Leader frame in the future. I have a Felt F65 for normal road (and possible racing) duty now, and have found the joints and welds on the Leader to be far superior (aesthetically at least). Love my Felt, but feel so much prouder of my Leader!

#23 · (Edited)
RSPDiver said:
Good to hear you liking the 736R frame. I have a 730TT I built up and am going to use for this year's tri season. It started as a multi-sport, but I decided to go full aero/tri on it. I like it a lot, and could certainly see building out another Leader frame in the future. I have a Felt F65 for normal road (and possible racing) duty now, and have found the joints and welds on the Leader to be far superior (aesthetically at least). Love my Felt, but feel so much prouder of my Leader!

i wouldn't have a problem building out another leader frame either.

i thought about building out the 735TR for a track bike but the only color is blue and the only sizes are 51 and 61. the 61 has a 600mm top tube which is too long for me.

#24 ·
New track frame

Our new 07 735TR frame will be out mid this week. It comes in black only. availible sizes are 51, 53, 55, 58, and 61cm. All to the top of the seat tube. We will also have the dedicated aero fork at 28 rake for track use only. Seat angle for this frame is 75 degree. 100% true track geometry. Down tube is 80mm full aero like Cervelo, Etc. This is an extremelt stiff track frame. Go to www.leaderbikestore.com to order on Thursday or after.

Brian

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.