RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2005

LeMond Big Sky SL - any thoughts???

Does anyone either have a Big Sky SL or having any experience with them? I feel like this bike has a lot to offer (105 throughout, Bontrager Select wheels, Bontrager Race Lite hardcase tires, clipless pedals, and is praised for its comfort) and it's for sale at the LBS for $962.00 - within my price range (about $1,000.00 +/-).

However, I'm 29 years old, 6'1" 195 lbs and was told that I didn't really fit the profile for this bike. I was told this bike is typically for an older age group that might be a little heavier. Nonetheless, it also has an adjustable stem that will adjust to my preference and brakes on the flattop handlebars - convenient in my opinion since you ride in this position quite a bit. As a beginner it's hard for me to tell the true difference between all the bikes I'm considering and want a bike that is more comfortable than fast necessarily. I plan on riding 10 - 20 miles a few times per week and don't plan on racing. I am also considering the LeMond Tourmalet, Lemond Reno, Trek 1500 and Felt F70.

Your thoughts and opinions would be helpful

Thanks.

http://www.lemondbikes.com/2005_bikes/big_sky_sl.shtml

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Charmgp
    Does anyone either have a Big Sky SL or having any experience with them? I feel like this bike has a lot to offer (105 throughout, Bontrager Select wheels, Bontrager Race Lite hardcase tires, clipless pedals, and is praised for its comfort) and it's for sale at the LBS for $962.00 - within my price range (about $1,000.00 +/-).

However, I'm 29 years old, 6'1" 195 lbs and was told that I didn't really fit the profile for this bike. I was told this bike is typically for an older age group that might be a little heavier. Nonetheless, it also has an adjustable stem that will adjust to my preference and brakes on the flattop handlebars - convenient in my opinion since you ride in this position quite a bit. As a beginner it's hard for me to tell the true difference between all the bikes I'm considering and want a bike that is more comfortable than fast necessarily. I plan on riding 10 - 20 miles a few times per week and don't plan on racing. I am also considering the LeMond Tourmalet, Lemond Reno, Trek 1500 and Felt F70.

Your thoughts and opinions would be helpful

Thanks.

http://www.lemondbikes.com/2005_bikes/big_sky_sl.shtml
    It seems like a fair price first off. I would lose the 2nd brakes though. Who told you that this bike wasn't for you. That seems kind of odd. I would take it for a spin to see how it feels. At your height you would typically need about a 58-60cm bike. The 57cm would most likely be too small just make sure the 61cm is not too large.