Lost in translation

Lemond Maillot Jaune hodgepodge build

Scored a "parts bike" on eBay recently. This MJ comes from 96 or 97, when Trek built it in full carbon fiber. The most expensive components that came with it needed some reconditioning. (Think 8-sp STI shifters, brakes, derailleurs, cranks.) The rest came from my parts bins: fork, wheels, tires, bars/stem, post, saddle, pedals, cables. Colorful, huh?

It's a little small for me, but perfect for my youngest son to use in a few years. (He should be close to 5'4" to ride it.) He helped build it with me, in between dribbling his basketball and making layups.

Here's the eBay link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT

What say you, forum readers?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2008
    Fabulous job bringing that beautiful bike back to life! A very nice build at a very nice price. Hopefully your son will be eager to ride it when he grows a little.

Lost in translation

I hope so!

Quote Originally Posted by Fishbike
    Fabulous job bringing that beautiful bike back to life! A very nice build at a very nice price. Hopefully your son will be eager to ride it when he grows a little.
    My boy enjoys just about every sport imaginable, so it's highly conceivable he'll take to cycling. He's a tough little bugger, taking some good spills circling our driveway. Hops right back on after shaking it off. I am looking into an intermediate step and putting him on a 24" wheel road bike. They make some nice ones these days.

I forgot to mention that this Lemond took on a little weather over the years, probably post-accident. It resulted in bits of surface rust, which mostly came off with some naval jelly. The worst effect from some moisture was the rear hub innards turning into a rust haven. Amazingly, the Dura Ace components seal out almost all dampness everywhere else. Plus, they put solid chrome on their bits. I love eight-speed Dura Ace!