the other white meat

Litespeed M1/Rival v. Motobecane Le Champ Ti Heat Rival

I've narrowed my two bike choices to the Litespeed M1 with the SRAM Rival kit (via competitivecyclist.com) and the Motobecane Le Champion Ti Heat with pretty much the exact same components, right down to the wheelset. One carbon, one Ti. One "name brand," the other Bikes Direct. Nearly the same exact frame geometry (for the 58 M1 and the 56 Le Champ). The Le Champ includes pedals (which I don't need), and comes in at about $280 less (including shipping.)

So, basically, is it worth $280 to go name brand and carbon over BD and ti? I've read good things about the Motobecane. Haven't heard much about the M1. I've owned steel (currently), aluminum and scandium/carbon road frames. Never owned Ti. I've had one carbon hardtail mountain bike. Primary use of the bike is recreational/fitness cycling. I don't do races, centuries, multi-day tours or group rides. I like to climb and there is a fair amount of climbing where I live (if you want to climb; otherwise, you could do lots and lots of flats.) Unfortunately, due to copious amounts of beer, food and a newfound enjoyment of weight lifting, I'm up to about 190, but am on my way back down to 180. I'm more of a big gear masher than a high cadence spinner.

The Litespeed is slightly above my budget; the Motobecane at $1600 is pretty much where I want to spend. I've look at LOTS of new bikes locally and have been watching eBay, craigslist and the classifieds for used bikes. From my research out there, it seems like both of these bikes are good bargains - carbon or ti with a Rival group is pretty much a needle in a haystack for a new bike under $2000. Heck, most used bikes with the same features are over $2000.

So, given my budget. size and likely use, what's your suggestion?
    your signature here

RoadBikeReview Member
    Ti is typically a "lifetime" material and known for its "ride quality". I'd say Ti, but I ride Ti, so I may be biased.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2005
    Thank you for putting me up on that Litespeed. Wow that thing is looking like a good buy. I to have been looking at Ti offering from BD, so I hope you get some good responses. Once i sell my mountain bike, I'm going to be buying a new bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009
    No reason not to get the ti. I have a ti mountain frame from bikes direct and the quality is excellent for the price and the build details are nice. I've had guys on indy fab and moots ti say they were surprised at how nice it is. (I'd still take their frames over the motobecane though). They're also made by the same factory that makes the ritchey ti breakaway frames, if that helps your opinion at all.

the other white meat
    The other option I'm looking at (now, thanks for more obsessing and research) is a custom build, combining a slightly used full Rival gruppo, a BWW Blackset Race 11 wheelset, a Planet X carbon frame and fork, and using some existing components from my current bike and parts bin. If the manufacturers' weight claims are accurate, the wheelset, frame and fork combo would be about 6 lbs. Total price for me would be about $1550, including all shipping.

Since my two biggest considerations are low(er) weight (but strong enough to hold me) and price, this seems like the best deal. The Aksium wheels on the two other bikes are definitely the low point on the Litespeed and Motobecane. Swapping those out for a lower weight wheelset would add around $400 or so, putting them both out of my price range.

Decisions, decisions.
    your signature here

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2006

Smile Moto Ti

I have a Moto Ti and it rides as nice as several other ti bikes I have had in the past. I don't know any thing about the LS except I don't like its look.

RoadBikeReview Member
    My understanding is the Litespeed carbon is more or less "generic" asian stuff they are re-labeling. Not to say they are the same exact frames, but you can get the generic asian stuff on Ebay and the like for around $500 for the frame/fork.

Also, if it means anything to you, do a search on how ABG (owners of Litespeed) have been fulfilling warranty claims and customer service lately.

T K
    wasssabi
    Litespeed? ABG? Noooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!
    I don't know enough about either bike but BD seem to have incredible customer service and an owner who frequents this forum. ABG on the other hand is known for their terrible CS has an F BBB rating and is seemingly nowhere to be found when needed.

the other white meat
    I'm lame. I opted to keep my existing bike, replace my 53/39 with a 50/34 and buy a lighter wheelset. And pay for estate planning and buy more life insurance. Getting old is so lame.
    your signature here

T K
    wasssabi
    Quote Originally Posted by Earthpig
    Getting old is so lame.
    Like my dad says, "I'm not going bald, I'm getting more head".

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by T K View Post
    Litespeed? ABG? Noooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!
    I don't know enough about either bike but BD seem to have incredible customer service and an owner who frequents this forum. ABG on the other hand is known for their terrible CS has an F BBB rating and is seemingly nowhere to be found when needed.
    Is Litespeed still owned by the Lynskey Family or sold to this ABG Group?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by field3 View Post
    Is Litespeed still owned by the Lynskey Family or sold to this ABG Group?
    Hasn't been for years, so long in fact that their non-compete clause ran out and they opened a competing shop named after themselves.

Defender of Freedom...
    Quote Originally Posted by krisdrum View Post
    My understanding is the Litespeed carbon is more or less "generic" asian stuff they are re-labeling. Not to say they are the same exact frames, but you can get the generic asian stuff on Ebay and the like for around $500 for the frame/fork.

Also, if it means anything to you, do a search on how ABG (owners of Litespeed) have been fulfilling warranty claims and customer service lately.
    Incorrect. Unless something has changed in the last 3 months, they developed their own proprietary molds. You won't find anything out there with the same proprietary tube shapes (until a scam Chinarello style copy is produced).

As for warrenty I suspect since the profit is much larger on a carbon frame vice ti you will see less shafting of their customers (and hopefully a revival of their reputation). I suspect their ti offerings will disappear in the near future. Lynskey has pretty much locked down the US made "reasonabley priced" ti bike (see Cooper) catagory and took a huge chunk of the exotic (see Helix) making things tough for the Xicon and Archon Ti to compete, especially given ABG's recent rep. If I were going to get a Litespeed I'd probably go Carbon vs. Ti just based on that alone. For Ti I can't .
    It never gets easier. You just go faster. Greg LeMond

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramjm_2000 View Post
    Incorrect. Unless something has changed in the last 3 months, they developed their own proprietary molds. You won't find anything out there with the same proprietary tube shapes (until a scam Chinarello style copy is produced).
    The Litespeed M1 is the same frame as the Pedalforce ZX3, you can compare geos if you'd like. Although Pedalforce is a bit of a step up from the true generic China Ebay frames, since they at least offer a warranty.

Must say though I've see a few threads where Litespeed's customer service has been lacking.

I don't think you can go wrong with either bike.

Defender of Freedom...
    My point is that "Litespeed Carbon" is not relabeled generic carbon like you said. Like several other companies their entry level frame may use an open mold (probably using different carbon layups) but looking at the rest of their models you'd be hard pressed to find anything that is even close...yet. You can't make a broad statement about the whole line up.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2011
    I ordered the M1 / Rival from CC for $1550 including shipping. Josh at Competitive Cyclist was terrific. The bike arrived with a badly bent rear derailleur hanger. It was so badly bent that my LBS could not bend it back into place. I was heading out for a week of riding in VT, so Josh overnighted a replacement to me at no cost, and reimbursed me for the labor charges at the LBS. Just got back from my week (got about 200 miles in when I could get away from the family), and Im really happy.
    Competitive Cyclist also just bought Litespeed (do a quick Google, youll get the details), and given my experience, Im sure theyll be as great if anything goes wrong in the future.
    Great deal, great company.
    Bryan

Defender of Freedom...
    Hadn't heard that. I know they bought Merlin a few months back, have a link?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2011
    oh. My bad. CC bought Merlin from ABG, but ABG still owns Litespeed (I misread and thought Litespeed was owened by Merlin). Still love the bike, and still not worried that CC won't be helpful should the need arise.
    Bryan

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011
    Actually, the Litespeed Xicon compares more closely with Le Champion Ti. The geometries are very similar.