RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2010

Question Long Top Tube Low Budget Carbon Fiber Frames Recommends

I am looking for a good value Carbon Fiber frame. Square designs don't work well for me. I have longish torso shortish legs. So sloping TT 56 - 57cm, and a seat tube c-t of about 52 - 54cm. A HT in the 16cm plus range works well for me. I am a 50 year old Gran Fondo type rider, so comfort is favored over stiffness. I favor a good climber.

Recommends would be appreciated.

Here's what I have discovered so far:

-De Rosa R838, Ribble Stealth, PF RS 3, good fit, o.k aesthetics, wouldn't mind 200 g's lighter
    -Volagi, I like the concept, out of my budget price range, not sure it delivers what it claims, a bit heavy
    -Boardman bikes
    -Venge clones, e.g FM 098, stiffness overkill?, twitchy?
    -LOOK 566, might be a little too short of a TT and too tall of a HT?

Any ideas for other contenders?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2010
    I have just ordered a MT-MC008 from miracle trading. It might suit. Their 56 cm frame has a 56.5 cm tt with a head tube length of 185 mm. Internal brake and gear cables. Tapered headset as well. Have a look.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2010
    The AC053 (Foil clone) I just bought has a 57cm top tub for the size 56. Also consider getting a 54 (55cm top tube) with a 120MM stem. IMO, seat tube length shouldn't really be a consideration for you, stack (and reach for that matter) should be the focus

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiro11 View Post
    The AC053 (Foil clone) I just bought has a 57cm top tub for the size 56. Also consider getting a 54 (55cm top tube) with a 120MM stem. IMO, seat tube length shouldn't really be a consideration for you, stack (and reach for that matter) should be the focus
    Precisely.

Optimally, it would be nice to have appropriate stand over clearance, and I have to admit aesthetics plays into it

Who sells the AC053? Have you received the frame? How were transaction. quality?...
    jws

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2010
    I have read that the Foil is not particularly comfortable for long rides; what would you rate the comfort level of the AC053?

jws

RoadBikeReview Member
    You need slopping top tube frame with a low stack/headtube. That described 70% of the market until 4 years ago. There's so many out there, I would suggest picking out some brands and looking at their charts. There are literally hundreds of choices.
    Get a better saddle: www.kontactbike.com

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2010
    I have been doing what you suggest. I am trying to get up to speed on the current offerings. My observation, and I may be wrong, is that the majority of offerings are square i.e. ST ~ = eTT.

Some TT's have more slope and offer relatively longer TT's. I have young children, so I have been out of the bike equipment scene for over a decade. When I was last shopping for bike stuff, sub 20 lbs was doing good. Now we're looking at 15 lbs. That's pretty cool. I recently turned 50, so it seems I might be able to rationalize a new road bike to my wife.

Given all the choices out there, when people have recommends it sure helps to sort things out.
    jws

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by J-dubya View Post
    I have been doing what you suggest. I am trying to get up to speed on the current offerings. My observation, and I may be wrong, is that the majority of offerings are square i.e. ST ~ = eTT.

Some TT's have more slope and offer relatively longer TT's. I have young children, so I have been out of the bike equipment scene for over a decade. When I was last shopping for bike stuff, sub 20 lbs was doing good. Now we're looking at 15 lbs. That's pretty cool. I recently turned 50, so it seems I might be able to rationalize a new road bike to my wife.

Given all the choices out there, when people have recommends it sure helps to sort things out.
    jws
    Sloping TT bikes are almost never square. Are you sure you aren't mistaking stated frame size with the actual point the top of the TT hits the seat tube?

As an example, take a look at this Madone chart:
    Trek Bicycle

Looking at the diagram you can see that they are measuring to the top of seat collar, not to where the TT intersects. So the "58" has a listed seat tube of 55.3, but is actually around 49.
    Get a better saddle: www.kontactbike.com

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2010
    Understood. I understand that nominal size is not much to go on, which makes the sifting all the more challenging have to drill down. The collar bit above the tt can vary a bit as well it seems. Square is probably the wrong term. I size by TT length with a 120 stem.
    I actually just started looking at the Madone. I hadn't considered it earlier because I had ridden one years ago and the geometry was not to my liking. Unfortunately, I am put off by the Lance hype and scandals...
    The geometry for their H1 setup is close to the R838. Clearly some top tubes slope more than others

Special guest
    If you're looking to build up your own bike, the Chinese Madone copy (FM028) is a good value, and nice riding bike that'll fit your geometry requirements. I've had mine a year already, and love it. I believe the newer models have all internal cable routing for an even cleaner look. This is a 52 shown here with a 120mm stem, but a size 54 or 56 should fit you nicely with plenty of standover room. Mine weighs 15 lbs as shown.