RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2017

Unhappy Look 795 aerolight - long term review

Hey folks - I've been wanting to post this for some time now but was hesitant. I think now is the best time.

I have owned a Look 795 aerolight as my primary race/training bike for just over 1yr now. It has seen everything from 2x weekend Agrd crits, road races, weekly training rides, onward to recurring 6hr Z2 rides. You could easily say without hesitation, I have put it through the wringer. So I digress, and here's the bottom line.

The bottom line after 1yr and thousands wasted in repairs:

Look's 2014-2016 aerolight is poorly designed proprietary GARBAGE and DO NOT BUY this bike.

Essentially Look has asked customers to pay to Beta test their technology and has since fixed some of the problems with their new RS2 version for 2017.

Here's a specific list of just some the problems and parts we've replaced due to malfunction and just plain poor design, keeping in mind that look parts are NOT the easiest to get a hold.

- Broken Epost

- Cracked and stripped Epost seat rail wedge (torqued to spec)

- Constant broken cables due to the cable inlet positioning on the frame
    when turning handlebars

- TONS of brake rub in the rear (we've tightened spokes changed wheels etc etc)

- Headset lock down bolt is frozen (it is also proprietary and uses a special tool)

- Front aero brake bolts are now frozen and unremovable without machining them (we've never even touched these)

- rear brakes are constantly squishy due to cable compression issues from routing (we've attempted 3 cable solutions to solve this)

- Stem is very flexi

- Stem has known issues with handlebar bracket stripping, extremely difficult to align bolts when installing, and even stripping due to poor design - replaced

- Handlebar routing is behind the bar resulting in tighter apexes in cable to frame and causing sticky and ultimately broken cable housings

Keep in mind for 2017 LOOK's RS2 model has replaced or updated the: faulty Epost, poorly designed handlebar, malfunctioning stem bracket/ hardware, updated the cable routing into the frame, added the bottom bracket access section. THIS WAS NOT BY CHANCE..

* we're not amateurs here and we adhered strictly to all of Look's assembly guidelines: use of carbon assembly paste, precision spec'd torque wrenches, locktite, Look T1 grease, etc etc so on..

Feel free to ask me/us any questions you'd like.

Here's my strava if you would like to see what my training and abilities looks like:
    https://www.strava.com/athletes/3921150

Cheers!
    -b

Look 795 aerolight - long term review-fullsizerender.jpg.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Look 795 aerolight - long term review-img_1187.jpg.jpg  

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2017
    I forgot to mention that I've owned 2 695s previously to this and have always had a love for Look bikes in part to my french heritage and the quality in their 695 series.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Sorry about your experience. That sucks.

I didn't know if was garbage but "proprietary" was enough to scare me off Look. Stuff happens even with the best of designs and quality.

This is what usually happens when someone tries to reinvent something as simple and proven as a basic bicycle.

Forever a Student
    Not surprised at all.

The brakes are trash, everyone's failed that's tried doing it.

Proprietary = avoid at all costs if you have any intelligence.
    use a torque wrench

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Funny story that relates to this a bit:

Years ago a guy that I raced on the track with had a bad week. He broke the seat binder on his Look track frame AND blew up the engine in his Audi RS4. It took Look more time to get him a simple seat binder than it did for Audi to ship all the parts from Germany that were needed for the rebuild, rebuild the engine and get my friend's car back on the road. German (auto manufacturer)efficiency or French (bicycle manufacturer)incompetence?
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by MMsRepBike View Post
    Not surprised at all.

The brakes are trash, everyone's failed that's tried doing it.

Proprietary = avoid at all costs if you have any intelligence.
    I am guilty here in that I knew the history of "aerobrake" fails but still decided to pull the trigger on t his purchase. I had been training specifically for break-aways on courses that were lacking climbs and was having some noteable successes with a non aero bike. In hopes to build on these successes, I of course proceeded to go after every detail I could to improve & optimize... That said, the trade offs were clearly not worth the pains and price of this. I have since gone back to a non aero bike where I am confident in my equipment over 4watts I never needed anyways ;)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Benkill419 View Post
    I am guilty here in that I knew the history of "aerobrake" fails...I am confident in my equipment over 4watts I never needed anyways ;)
    Well written and honest, as is your original post.

hfc
    Doesn't like subtitles
    Boy, they have come a long way from those beautiful lugged 495, 595 models. I'm sorry you've had all those problems and in addition to that, that is one of the most aesthetically displeasing road bikes I've ever seen.
    Last edited by hfc; 2 Weeks Ago at 06:09 AM. Reason: Damm u autocorrect!

RoadBikeReview Member
    If you want French buy a Time.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Benkill419 View Post
    Hey folks - I've been wanting to post this for some time now but was hesitant. I think now is the best time.

I have owned a Look 795 aerolight as my primary race/training bike for just over 1yr now. It has seen everything from 2x weekend Agrd crits, road races, weekly training rides, onward to recurring 6hr Z2 rides. You could easily say without hesitation, I have put it through the wringer. So I digress, and here's the bottom line.

The bottom line after 1yr and thousands wasted in repairs:

Look's 2014-2016 aerolight is poorly designed proprietary GARBAGE and DO NOT BUY this bike.

Essentially Look has asked customers to pay to Beta test their technology and has since fixed some of the problems with their new RS2 version for 2017.

Here's a specific list of just some the problems and parts we've replaced due to malfunction and just plain poor design, keeping in mind that look parts are NOT the easiest to get a hold.

- Broken Epost

- Cracked and stripped Epost seat rail wedge (torqued to spec)

- Constant broken cables due to the cable inlet positioning on the frame
    when turning handlebars

- TONS of brake rub in the rear (we've tightened spokes changed wheels etc etc)

- Headset lock down bolt is frozen (it is also proprietary and uses a special tool)

- Front aero brake bolts are now frozen and unremovable without machining them (we've never even touched these)

- rear brakes are constantly squishy due to cable compression issues from routing (we've attempted 3 cable solutions to solve this)

- Stem is very flexi

- Stem has known issues with handlebar bracket stripping, extremely difficult to align bolts when installing, and even stripping due to poor design - replaced

- Handlebar routing is behind the bar resulting in tighter apexes in cable to frame and causing sticky and ultimately broken cable housings

Keep in mind for 2017 LOOK's RS2 model has replaced or updated the: faulty Epost, poorly designed handlebar, malfunctioning stem bracket/ hardware, updated the cable routing into the frame, added the bottom bracket access section. THIS WAS NOT BY CHANCE..

* we're not amateurs here and we adhered strictly to all of Look's assembly guidelines: use of carbon assembly paste, precision spec'd torque wrenches, locktite, Look T1 grease, etc etc so on..

Feel free to ask me/us any questions you'd like.

Here's my strava if you would like to see what my training and abilities looks like:
    https://www.strava.com/athletes/3921150

Cheers!
    -b

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FullSizeRender.jpg.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	98.7 KB 
ID:	320408
    nice structured training ability!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2017
    Man.. I regret not buying a TIME often..

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2017
    ^^fact!...

Road & Trail Warrior
    Despite the problems, that's a gorgeous bike.