RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2013

Looking for a bike $300-400, What do you think of this Schwinn?

Schwinn Fastback Sport Road Bike (Sport Alu) - Giantnerd®

I'm liking this because of the drivetrain, and it seems genuinely ok, specifically the crank and cassette. I'm hoping Sora is ok. This is a stretch of my budget though.

So right now it's this, or a BikesDirect bike in the $300-350 range, I'm in Texas so I get taxed. I can't find much at all about the Schwinn online, so I'm hoping to find some info/help here. Thanks!

About me, 5' 10" 160lbs, 37 years old, Mountain biking for 10 years. Pretty good with a set of bike tools and have built my own mountain bike. Looking for something to workout on/train when the trails are wet.

A wheelist
    That doesn't look 1/2 bad at all. It looks better than I thought it was gonna before I clicked the link. Go for it.

Look at the Review section here (that's why it's called RBR!) to see what others think of Sora.
    Mike The Bike's home wheelbuilding info - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder information and motivation.

I'm not cranky; I just have a violent reaction to stupid people.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2013
    Mike, I don't really see any reviews of Sora in the review section. From what I've gathered in the Forum and around the internet Sora is about the lowest level you want to go. From what I can tell it's like SRAM X5-7 or Shimano Deore-SLX.

Quote Originally Posted by Mavtek View Post
    Mike, I don't really see any reviews of Sora in the review section. From what I've gathered in the Forum and around the internet Sora is about the lowest level you want to go. From what I can tell it's like SRAM X5-7 or Shimano Deore-SLX.
    Sora would be closer to SRAM X3 or Shimano Acera/Alivio. Tourney is the lowest level. Then 2300/3400, then Sora. After that it's Tiagra, 105, Ultegra, Dura Ace, Ultegra Di2, Dura Ace Di2.

The Schwinn with Sora at $420 will be a lot more bike than ANY bikesdirect bike in the 300-400 price range. Get the Schwinn.
    Other countries need to stop hatin' or we'll unfriend them. - Christine

Apparently I left my reading comprehension glasses in my ass. - DrRoebuck

Still, it felt great and I felt like I was sitting on some kind of vibrator -Touch0Gray

Not a rocket surgeon.
    Nov 2008
    Get the Schwinn.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2013
    Ok, next question, what size? I ride a 19" Specialized Stumpjumper. 19" mountain bikes typically fit me well. I'm thinking the Large over the medium, but am I better going larger or smaller?

Sorry for seeming stupid, I just don't have a lot of knowledge on Road bikes.

Not a rocket surgeon.
    Nov 2008
    Not enough info to guess a size.

I ride a 18-19 mountain bike and would get a Medium in that Schwinn.

Quote Originally Posted by tihsepa View Post
    Not enough info to guess a size.

I ride a 18-19 mountain bike and would get a Medium in that Schwinn.
    I ride a 19" MTB and would ride a Medium in the Schwinn. 5'11" 30" inseam, long torso.
    Other countries need to stop hatin' or we'll unfriend them. - Christine

Apparently I left my reading comprehension glasses in my ass. - DrRoebuck

Still, it felt great and I felt like I was sitting on some kind of vibrator -Touch0Gray

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2013
    32.5" Inseam, This sale ends today, so I guess I have to make a decision today

A wheelist
    Listen to Platy; he has a bike shop. I wouldn't know Sora if I fell over it. Try Googling "Shimano Sora reviews".
    Mike The Bike's home wheelbuilding info - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder information and motivation.

I'm not cranky; I just have a violent reaction to stupid people.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2013
    So last question, I fitted for a Large at REI this weekend on their house brand Divara with Geometry:
    2012 Novara V3

I wonder if it's my freakishly long arms and legs though......

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2007
    Sizing is hard to say but with long arms and a 32.5" inseam I would be looking at a large frame, that way the virtual top tube would have plenty of room for your long arms and with a 32.5" inseam you can straddle a large or even XL very easily.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2013
    I ordered it, size large. I think this is better than what I could have gotten from BD, thanks guys!