RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2006

Looking for race bike with more stack

Hi
    Due to a neck issue, I've been riding my cross bike more often on the road. It has a stack of 581. My race bike is 563mm. Running 30mm of spacers on both. Looking for a road bike with a more generous stack and can take 25mm tires on wider rims (current road bike limited to 23mm).
    Any suggestions? I've looked at some "endurance" models but the bar to saddle drop is the same on many models as my road bike.The Ridley Helium seems to have a decent stack height (575mm) and head tube (17.5mm).
    Thanks

RoadBikeReview Member
    In a 56cm, the Fuji Gran Fondo Disc has a 19cm headtube with a 60cm stack height. HTA and STA are 73 with a fork rake of 43 and chainstay length of 41.5. It can fit up to 32mm tires without fenders and 30mm with fenders. I'm riding one now due to spinal cord injury and it's responsive, as well as comfortable. I was also looking at the Cervelo R3, which has similar specs.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2006
    Bianchi Infinito has a fairly tall stack height.

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Trek Domane...56cm stack is 591.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    Cxwrench's post made me think of something that you may, or may not, influence your decision. The BB drop of the Fuji is 7.0, even though it's listed as an endurance/gravel bike. I believe the Bb drop of the Cervelo was mid 7's and the Domane was upper 7's. I looked hard at the Domane, but couldn't come to terms with its BB90. The PF30 of the Fuji comes with a Praxis Conversion BB and the Cervelo, I believe, comes with the BBBright.

Quote Originally Posted by PsyDoc View Post
    Cxwrench's post made me think of something that you may, or may not, influence your decision. The BB drop of the Fuji is 7.0, even though it's listed as an endurance/gravel bike. I believe the Bb drop of the Cervelo was mid 7's and the Domane was upper 7's. I looked hard at the Domane, but couldn't come to terms with its BB90. The PF30 of the Fuji comes with a Praxis Conversion BB and the Cervelo, I believe, comes with the BBBright.
    You're comparing apples and cookies. You've said what brand of bottom bracket comes in the Fuji and what type of bottom bracket the Cervelo has. The BB90 is a pretty simple and reliable bottom bracket, I don't know why you'd 'have to come to terms with it'. It allows the use of 'standard' size Shimano, SRAM, and Campy cranks. PF30 w/ the conversion bb is great. You'd want to do the same thing w/ the Cervelo as it's a PF size frame.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2006
    Thanks. My cross/gravel bike has a drop of 66mm and PF30 and I'm fine with a range of BB standards and reasonable drops. Still running a square taper bb on old steel bike from the 80s. I can get a good deal on a Helium and the stack of 575 (same as Infinito) and 17.5mm head tube might work with 25mm of spacers and a O degree stem. Will look at other models.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    You're comparing apples and cookies. You've said what brand of bottom bracket comes in the Fuji and what type of bottom bracket the Cervelo has. The BB90 is a pretty simple and reliable bottom bracket, I don't know why you'd 'have to come to terms with it'. It allows the use of 'standard' size Shimano, SRAM, and Campy cranks. PF30 w/ the conversion bb is great. You'd want to do the same thing w/ the Cervelo as it's a PF size frame.
    You are correct; I was sloppy with my words. Based on stories I've read on various bike forums and the local shop dealing with a frame where the bearings now fit loosely in the BB, I wasn't willing to go that route.

Quote Originally Posted by PsyDoc View Post
    You are correct; I was sloppy with my words. Based on stories I've read on various bike forums and the local shop dealing with a frame where the bearings now fit loosely in the BB, I wasn't willing to go that route.
    Trek make thousands and thousand of bikes w/ BB90. Every now and then one gets loose...mostly from someone not pressing bearings in straight. The level 1 fix is to use what is called a V2 bearing...it's 37.1mm in diameter instead of the normal 37.0mm. If this isn't enough the frame can be sent to Trek and repaired. Compared to noisy BB/PF30-386 frames the problem w/ Trek is very very small.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2006
    I've run Chris King PF30 brackets for several years and no noise Probably just jinxed it...

Cpark
    Quote Originally Posted by Lookbiker View Post
    Hi
    Due to a neck issue, I've been riding my cross bike more often on the road. It has a stack of 581. My race bike is 563mm. Running 30mm of spacers on both. Looking for a road bike with a more generous stack and can take 25mm tires on wider rims (current road bike limited to 23mm).
    Any suggestions? I've looked at some "endurance" models but the bar to saddle drop is the same on many models as my road bike.The Ridley Helium seems to have a decent stack height (575mm) and head tube (17.5mm).
    Thanks
    I know itís a gravel bike, but nless you are doing the hardcore criteriums, I think Specialized Diverge will suit you well. I think the 56 frame has a stack height of 613mm. Plus the future shock will smooth out the ride.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Custom would make this really easy. Probably not 'necessary' for what you want but by the same token I can't think of a reason off-the-shelf would be necessary either other than if you can't wait.
    If you're willing to go steel and especially if you were to move the group and wheels from your current bike, which it sounds like you can't really use anyway, custom does't have to be bank-breaking to get a great bike. And it's sure to be no compromises with regard to geometry, features, color, whatever, because you and the builder control all that.

Just something to consider.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2015
    If you're not set on a new bike why not just get another fork and don't cut the steer tube down? Can always get a different stem to set you up higher too?

Quote Originally Posted by wradom View Post
    If you're not set on a new bike why not just get another fork and don't cut the steer tube down? Can always get a different stem to set you up higher too?
    Because you can only have 40mm of spacers under the stem and he already has 30...1cm isn't much of difference in this case. The OP also wants to be able to use wider tires, he says his current bike limits him to 23mm.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2006
    I'm at 30mm in spacers on my current bike with the low stack. Don't want to go beyond that on any carbon steerer

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2015
    Fair enough, didn't see the bit about wanting to fit wider tires either, my bad! All the new 'endurance' bikes domane/roubaix/paralane/roadmachine/defy do seem to check your boxes..

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2006
    Thanks. Getting older is so much fun!