RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2018

Lugged Carbon Frame Repair - 1989 Allez Epic

I have a 1989 Specialized Allez Epic whose frame is no longer bonded to the lug at the intersection of the right chainstay and bottom bracket. Is there any company that can repair this frame and, perhaps while they're at it, check/repair any other junctions that may be weak (or break them and rebond with new adhesive?)

I'd love to be able to ride this bike...

Thanks for useful replies.

RoadBikeReview Member
    as you're painfully aware, the earlier versions of this bike were notorious for this problem.

Spec supposedly reformulated the adhesive used on the second generation frames. my '92 Allez Epic has ~40K miles on it and hasn't had any bonding failures, however, there is some galvanic corrosion on a couple of lugs which motivated me to semi-retire the bike. it gets ridden on the rollers now and the occasional short ride when the other bike is down for repair.

seems like there should be a fix for your bike, but if one bond has failed, it would be make me nervous about others doing the same thing...
    Ancient Astronaut theorists say, 'YES!'

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mml373 View Post
    I have a 1989 Specialized Allez Epic whose frame is no longer bonded to the lug at the intersection of the right chainstay and bottom bracket. Is there any company that can repair this frame and, perhaps while they're at it, check/repair any other junctions that may be weak (or break them and rebond with new adhesive?)

I'd love to be able to ride this bike...

Thanks for useful replies.
    I had a 94' Epic and my experience was similar to Oxtox's. Once I saw galvanic corrosion I sold the bike. My view is that unless this bike has some major nostalgic value, its probably would not be worth it to get it repaired, as its first generation, 30 year old technology. However, you could always call a couple of carbon repair places (do a web search, there are several) and see what they say

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2018
    Thank you for your reply. If I can get all the joints to fail in the same manner, perhaps I can find someone who can then repair the frame. :-)

Sees like the galvanic corrosion issue was at one time solved by including fiberglass pad in between lug and tube.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
    unless this bike has some major nostalgic value, its probably would not be worth it to get it repaired
    Winner, winner, chicken dinner. Good money after bad. It is EXTREMELY unlikely that repairing this frame would cost less than purchasing a used one. Then there is the question of why someone would want to purchase a nearly 20 year old frame that has been left in the technological dust.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Irons View Post
    Winner, winner, chicken dinner. Good money after bad. It is EXTREMELY unlikely that repairing this frame would cost less than purchasing a used one. Then there is the question of why someone would want to purchase a nearly 20 year old frame that has been left in the technological dust.

Meh, we all have our reasons. I love the way these ride, never was really competitive as a cyclist so new tech doesn't matter to me (I'll likely clean your clock in a foot race of any standard distance), love the way these older bikes look as well as their simplicity, and am really just wanting to have an easy ridin' old carbon bike for nostalgic reasons.

Good money after bed...yes...but then I see no point rushing out and dropping a few thousand on a new bike. My last bike is still being ridden by a friend, 30 years after I bought the parts hanging on its 29 year old frame. Who's to say a used "replacement" for the Epic won't have the same problem crop up very soon? I have a frame that fits in hand, today. Next stop may well be the dumpster but not till I do due diligence trying to find a repair option.

Thank you for your reply.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Thank you for your reply. If I can get all the joints to fail in the same manner, perhaps I can find someone who can then repair the frame. :-)

Sees like the galvanic corrosion issue was at one time solved by including fiberglass pad in between lug and tube.
    I believe the fiberglass insert was an approach that Trek used on the 2300 series carbon lugged bikes back in the day. I dont believe Specialized ever used that. These days almost all carbon bikes are made from a mold and glued tubes is no longer the construction method of choice.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2006
    While the frame may not be repairable, have you considered seeing if Specialized will warranty the frame? If not, perhaps they'll give you a pro-rated deal on a new frame.

RoadBikeReview Member
    https://calfeedesign.com/carbon-repair/

never used their services, but in the past, Calfee had/has a good rep.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter P. View Post
    While the frame may not be repairable, have you considered seeing if Specialized will warranty the frame? If not, perhaps they'll give you a pro-rated deal on a new frame.
    yeah good luck with trying to get a warranty out a frame that old! Try asking this question in the general forum and you'll be all sort of names and character questioned.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by aclinjury View Post
    yeah good luck with trying to get a warranty out a frame that old! Try asking this question in the general forum and you'll be all sort of names and character questioned.
    I think my '94 had a "lifetime warranty". Whether Specialized would honor it is another story.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I recall Specialized issuing a customer advisory saying that the frames should be retired from use after ten years.

just looked on their site for recalls/safety notices, and altho there are some dating back to 1992, didn't see anything related to the Allez Epic.
    Ancient Astronaut theorists say, 'YES!'

hfc
    Doesn't like subtitles
    I had a Colnago frame repaired by Calfee several years ago and they did a nice job. I would contact them but it will probably cost about what you would pay, if not more than a used Allez off eBay.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Who's to say a used "replacement" for the Epic won't have the same problem crop up very soon? I have a frame that fits in hand, today.
    I have to agree with you on this one. We all have our reasons why we own the bikes that we own. If you love it, give Calfee a call. Also, check out Montenegro Mfg. This guy is an LA local and has been doing carbon frame repair for years. He's also pretty well known in the LA bike scene. He even makes carbon frames. A buddy of mine had his S Works repaired by the guy. Great work. Heck, he does everything with carbon. You can find him on Facebook at
    https://www.facebook.com/hernan.montenegro

See if he can get you back on the road soon. Good luck.

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Irons View Post
    These types of decisions aren't always economically rational. I dropped $600 getting my 2001 Colnago C-40 frame refurbished. The guy replaced some corroding cable guides, sanded it down and clear coated it. It looked brand new. I put a modern Campy Chorus 11-speed group on it, Campy Neutron wheels, new stem, bars and pedals. Did the same with my wife's C-40 (although she insisted on Dura Ace). The bikes have sentimental value to us. We bought the frames in Italy on our honeymoon from a shop that was sagging the bike tour we did. For an almost 20 year old bike it rides pretty nice, and is light even by today's standards.

I recall the big problem with the Epic frames were the aluminum lugs and the carbon tubes didn't get along. These carbon repair places seem pretty good at repairing holes in carbon tubes, but I'm not so sure about repairing the lugs themselves. My guess is that the bike is toast, or would be pretty expensive to repair. Would I have repaired my C-40 if it had cost $2000? Probably not.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2018
    Appreciate all the replies. Going to check with Montenegro but other companies who do carbon repairs have so far declined.

Still, the Epic was a beautiful bike in its day...I just don't have space for any bike that cannot be ridden.

Now to work on getting the Serotta back on the road. Thankfully, no issues of note with it. ;-) Cycling tech left me in the dust about 10 years ago, LOL...just too much of a throwback to my teen days on steel bikes in the mid/late '80s... My Nashbar alloy/carbon frame and fork with Force components from 2011 is about as modern as I think I am going to get. As others have noted, these decisions aren't financial. I don't feel connected to the road on the new bikes, and don't appreciate the complexity that comes with the newer ones hitting the road these days. My generational view of cycling was of Greg LeMond winning the Tour de France on steel...
    Last edited by mml373; 1 Week Ago at 06:10 PM.

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    There's nothing wrong with steel bikes. Seems like they're making a resurgence around here (DC area). That and titanium. I have two Eddy Merckx steel bikes from the mid 90's and a Colnago Arabesque replica. They all have 11-speed components. I was riding a carbon Kestrel in the early 90's and caught hell from the steel is real crowd. I rode the hell out of that bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Appreciate all the replies. Going to check with Montenegro but other companies who do carbon repairs have so far declined.

Still, the Epic was a beautiful bike in its day...I just don't have space for any bike that cannot be ridden.

Now to work on getting the Serotta back on the road. Thankfully, no issues of note with it. ;-) Cycling tech left me in the dust about 10 years ago, LOL...just too much of a throwback to my teen days on steel bikes in the mid/late '80s... My Nashbar alloy/carbon frame and fork with Force components from 2011 is about as modern as I think I am going to get. As others have noted, these decisions aren't financial. I don't feel connected to the road on the new bikes, and don't appreciate the complexity that comes with the newer ones hitting the road these days. My generational view of cycling was of Greg LeMond winning the Tour de France on steel...
    Wait, you have a classic steel Serotta and you are worrying about a mass produced 30 year old carbon bike? Ride the Serotta!. That is my heavily biased opinion from a guy that owns 3 steels bikes

RoadBikeReview Member
    My generational view of cycling was of Greg LeMond winning the Tour de France on steel...
    One of my cycling buds is nicknamed "Retro Rocket". He did make an exception on his vintage Fuji Del Rey. He uses bar end shifters.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2008
    Any luck? Festka is still producing alu lugged carbon bikes, albeit with a honeycomb matrix. I am pretty sure this isn't a problem anymore as its the majority of carbon to alu construction today especially in aerospace, think planes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
    I think my '94 had a "lifetime warranty". Whether Specialized would honor it is another story.
    I've seen Specialized honor warranties from this timeframe

RoadBikeReview Member
    I have no experience but here's some links that may be worth checking.

Harry Havnoonian
    https://www.hhbicycles.net/frame-repairs/

Open Road Bicycles
    Untitled Document

Guywires Cycle Tech
    Untitled Document

Discussion group about re-bonding the Vitus frame.
    https://groups.google.com/forum/#!to...ch/pzqgWG2J92g

I started looking for Harry Havnoonian Knowing that he had the experience with the Vitus frames and thought that his skills would cross over to your Specialized and then got stuck on Vitus. You may still get some help from one of the links though.
    Last edited by velodog; 3 Days Ago at 02:37 AM.
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2018
    Thank you, Velodog...will check these out and report back if there is success.