Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2012

The Lynskey Peloton

Great looking bike and write up. I don't mind the extra info, nice to hear your story and impression of the bike. Just curious if you think the 56 would be a good fit for me -- I'm 5'10 w/ 32" inseam.

What the what???

The Lynskey Peloton

Quote Originally Posted by wxflyer View Post
    Great looking bike and write up. I don't mind the extra info, nice to hear your story and impression of the bike. Just curious if you think the 56 would be a good fit for me -- I'm 5'10 w/ 32" inseam.
    Hard to say based on just height and inseam. I can tell you I'm 5'9" with a 30" inseam and it fits me well. But personally I've never felt comfortable with small frames and long stems. Maybe it's because I'm a Clyde, but with too small a frame I feel like I'm riding a kids bike. With a larger frame and higher bars I feel like I'm sitting "in" the bike, rather than on top of it.

According to Lynskey's sizing guide, you should be good with a M/L (56) frame.
    Last edited by Opus51569; 04-25-2014 at 02:59 AM.
    Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - MLK

What the what???

The Lynskey Peloton

150 miles in...

Overall, the bike is doing great. I'm starting to gain more of an appreciation for the feel of TI. For normal riding the feel is relatively stiff, but it doesn't transfer vibration the way previous aluminum bikes did. When stressed, I can feel the frame give slightly and spring back. All in all, it makes for a very enjoyable ride. I find myself putting in more miles and feeling better afterward.

Creaks and clicks and the occasional pop...

The saddle (Brooks B17) was groaning a bit. At first I chalked it up to the break-in process. Later, I decided to put a bit of grease along the saddle rails and that seems to have solved the problem.

I had a click coming from the seat post as well. I added a bit of grease to the post and seat tube (which already had some) and the collar (which had none). We'll see if that solves it.

The only real annoyance thus far has been the occasional popping I get from the drivetrain. It seems to happen when spinning for a while in an easy gear... letting off... then starting to pedal again. I'll sometimes hear/feel a pop that feels like pressure has built up and suddenly released. Because it happens suddenly and infrequently, I'm having a hard time pinpointing the cause. I tightened the rear skewer before my ride today, but it still happened once. I've checked chainring bolts and the crank arm bolt and both are solid.

I'm liking the action and the feel of the Apex. My 105 levers now feel gargantuan by comparison.

The wheels on the bike go round and round...

Thus far the Fulcrum 5s (24/20) have been holding up well, even under my weight. This was my biggest concern when buying the bike, so it's been a pleasant surprise. That said, I've ordered a set of H Plus Son Archetypes (32/32) laced to 105 hubs. Once they arrive, the Fulcrums will become back-up wheels. When I do the wheel swap, I also check the bottom bracket to see if that might be the cause of the popping.
    Last edited by Opus51569; 05-23-2014 at 05:03 PM.
    Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - MLK

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2014
    Interesting write up - thanks.

I've just been for a bike fitting and this frame was one of the ones suggested by the shop. It hadn't been one that I'd considered previously as I was looking at steel frames. However, lots of positive comments on this frame so it seems like it could be a good option. Just waiting to get all the measurements back to see how this geometry would suit me. I was surprised how "off" my current set up was!

RoadBikeReview Member

Re: The Lynskey Peloton

Quote Originally Posted by Opus51569 View Post
    The only real annoyance thus far has been the occasional popping I get from the drivetrain. It seems to happen when spinning for a while in an easy gear... letting off... then starting to pedal again. I'll sometimes hear/feel a pop that feels like pressure has built up and suddenly released.
    That might be caused by the use of excessive grease on the pawls in your cassette body which sometimes prevents the pawl from popping into place.

What the what???

The Lynskey Peloton

Quote Originally Posted by Apexrider View Post
    That might be caused by the use of excessive grease on the pawls in your cassette body which sometimes prevents the pawl from popping into place.
    Thanks. It hasn't gone away entirely, but it seems to be less frequent after tightening the rear skewer. I wondered if the wheel was being pulled a bit off camber while spinning (my weight and low spoke count contributing?), then popping back into place after I let up.

Either way, hopefully the new wheels will help.

Music Man
    Nov 2006
    I've never been a Fulcrum or SRAM fan. I'd much prefer Shimano over SRAM any day. I've had SRAM Force and had nothing but problems. I've had Fulcrum wheels and had noise issues too. If they work for you, great. Everyone has their own personal preference. At least you're enjoying the bike and the ride quality of a Lynskey. I sure enjoy mine!!

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2014

The Lynskey Peloton

So... Done deal now, the Peloton was marginally a better fit than the Smoothie (due to taller head tube). Having handled both frames in the shop, it was a rather straightforward upsell. Workmanship looked great on both but the titanium kinda sold itself.

Will be built up with 105, mavic open pros on ambrosio rims. Can't wait!

What the what???

The Lynskey Peloton

Quote Originally Posted by 73Chaz View Post
    So... Done deal now, the Peloton was marginally a better fit than the Smoothie (due to taller head tube). Having handled both frames in the shop, it was a rather straightforward upsell. Workmanship looked great on both but the titanium kinda sold itself.

Will be built up with 105, mavic open pros on ambrosio rims. Can't wait!
    Congrats! Be sure to post some pics when it's done.

What the what???

The Lynskey Peloton

Problem Solved?

It looks like at least part of the problem was related to the chain. I wanted to leave the original wax lube on the chain as long as possible, just wiping off the exterior after a ride. The wax, though, was relatively sticky and picked up a lot of grit. I stripped the old lube and applied some homebrew (1/4 synthetic motor oil, 3/4 OMS). The last two rides have been pop-free.

is riding in MOPP4
    How's the B17 doing? How long did it take for you to brake it in? I'm thinking of trying one.
    Wake me up when it's alarm green.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2014

The Lynskey Peloton

About three weeks ago, I fitted a Brooks swift to my current bike. I didn't find it uncomfortable to begin with, but is is getting MORE comfortable now that I've got a few miles on it. Now I am debating whether to get another one on the lynskey, went it is built.

What the what???

The Lynskey Peloton

Quote Originally Posted by Tachycardic View Post
    How's the B17 doing? How long did it take for you to brake it in? I'm thinking of trying one.
    Somewhere on this forum, you'll find an old thread I started asking how anyone in their right mind would drop 100+ dollars on a leather saddle...

Not my proudest moment.

Once I took the plunge and bought one, I understood. I now own three if you include the one that came on the Peloton.

The break-in for this B-17 is going well. I just got back from a 30 miler. Given the long winter, though, my butt is still getting used to riding in general, along with the new saddle. The trick for me is getting the angle of the nose right. Too low and I keep sliding forward as I ride. Too high and it puts too much pressure on the perineum. I think I have a good angle now.

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Opus -- What level of finish is your bike? I know he offers brushed for $175 and polished for $300. Is your frame brushed, or the base finish?

What the what???

The Lynskey Peloton

Quote Originally Posted by pmf View Post
    Opus -- What level of finish is your bike? I know he offers brushed for $175 and polished for $300. Is your frame brushed, or the base finish?
    Mine is the "Bright Brushed". On the Lynskey site, it's listed as a $300 upcharge, but on the Adrenaline site it's the stock frame/price they offer.

Speaking of finishes. While I dig the look of the brushed titanium, I have to say the stickers Lynskey puts on the frame leaves something to be desired. They are very brittle and flake off easily. At this rate, pretty soon it's going to be naked except for the head badge.
    Last edited by Opus51569; 06-02-2014 at 06:19 PM.

What the what???

The Lynskey Peloton

Mmmm... beefy.

If you've read this far, you may recall I planned to change out the Fulcrum 5s with something a bit beefier. They arrived this morning:

Attachment 296400

Attachment 296401

H Plus Son Archetype rims (32h), 3X lacing, 105 hubs.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2014
    Popped into the lbs today and received some bad news - there are no Peloton frames available in my size until September at the earliest. Don't really want to wait that long. A suggestion was the Sportive, however I don't think the geometry will be quite as good for me - I will need more spacers on top of the headtube and a higher rise stem. I could go for a R255 but this is 50% more expensive frame. In the uk, the Peloton frame is 1,000 and the R255 is 1,500 so we would get looking at over 2,500 for the built up bike.

Alternatives (although similar price):

Bikes | Decade | Tripster Atr | Kinesis Bikes UK

Equilibrium Ti | Genesis Bikes

The kensis is rather a different concept being a kind of "all road" machine. In some way that appeals - I could have 2 sets of wheels and have a really all purpose bike. Bridelways / forest trails are the limits of my off roading so with chunky tyres that would be fine, plus another set with skinnys for pure road outings.

The genesis looks nice as a road machine, you get the fork included for 1,500 so maybe 100 or so less than the lynskey R255.

Dilemma!

Budget has drifted from orginal intention of 1,500 - 2,000 to 2,500 -3,000 for the options above. Which is quite a lot. I am telling myself that the price doesn't matter "that much" because I intend to keep this bike for so long as I can still pedal. On the other hand, there has to be a limit somewhere.

Any thoughts gratefully received.

PS - It is not possible for me to test ride these as they are not held in stock. I've had a complete fit already and the fitter will look at how these options will fit me, compared to the Peloton / R255 (which are the same).

RoadBikeReview Member

Re: The Lynskey Peloton

Here the r255 is 1595 which is about 1290. Could be interesting for you.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Apexrider View Post
    Here the r255 is 1595 which is about 1290. Could be interesting for you.
    Interesting... Thanks

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    You are seemingly there with spending the extra money, the 100 won't make a difference a month latter other than if you save it now you might regret not spending it if your heart is really set on a Lynskey.
    There is definitely more going on with the R255 in regards to tubeset
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5RmrBATL70

In regards to the options, I'd be move inclined to go with the Genesis (more data on the frames on the site - not much info on where things are made), keep in mind you would only save 100 and be getting less (no mention of butting).

I'd go for the R255.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by mikerp View Post
    I'd go for the R255.
    I think this is probably where I will end up. Thanks also for posting the link - interesting vid which did explain exactly what is what with those 3 Lynskey models.

As far as I can work out, Genesis and Kinesis are both maunfactured in Taiwan. Nothing wrong with that but I am impressed that Lynskey can manufacture in USA for the same price as these companies are doing so in Taiwan.

So I am feeling a preference for Lynskey as it feels more like a "lifetime" bike which is what I'm after.

It might actually save me in the long run as if I went for the ATR bike which is a bit "off roady", I can already hear my internal rationale for why I would need to also buy an Italian steel road bike at some time in the future...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    LOL N+1 for the number of bikes.
    Agreed no issue with buying from Asia, I would expect to see a cost savings for doing so, as a Lynskey owner it was one of the factors with my purchase (I own a few of them).

On a side note how does it work for you if you order a frame directly from the factory?
    Last edited by mikerp; 06-11-2014 at 01:55 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2014

The Lynskey Peloton

Got a call yesterday from the shop saying they had located an XL Peloton frame so I am back to plan A. Hopefully only a couple of weeks to wait.

And I can spend the difference on an upgrade for my daughter's bike. In a moment of haste I bought her a thing from Halfords which weighs a ton. She's been hauling it round for a couple of years now so I'd like to get her something a bit better.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by mikerp View Post
    On a side note how does it work for you if you order a frame directly from the factory?
    I'm not sure if this is possible in the UK - If you select "UK" on the Lynskey website you get directed to a place called Hotlines:

"Hotlines is a distributor of premium goods to the cycling industry in the UK and Worldwide. We pride ourselves in providing quick and efficient service and expert product knowledge. We are the exclusive UK distributor for many of the leading brands within the cycling industry. We also distribute our own brands Nukeproof, Ragley and Brand X dealer direct Worldwide."

The prices listed on Hotlines are for frames only and they are all the top RRP -no discounts.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2014
    Ahh - another call today. When the distributor fulfilled the order they discovered the stock take was wrong and they don't have an XL Peloton after all. They also don't have an XL R255. Suggestion now is an XL R230 or Cooper as they are the most similar thing available. I've had a look at the geometry of the R230 and it is slightly more aggressive than Peloton / R255. The frame is also slightly more compact.

I don't want to race, I want a bike that is comfortable, reasonably quick and fun to ride for longish trips. So now I am a bit stuck as to what to do.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast