Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Music Man
    Nov 2006
    Call Lynskey directly and talk with Don or Mike.

What the what???

The Lynskey Peloton

Rainy day after rainy day. So, if I can't ride the bike, I can tinker with it. I decided to do a little rerouting of the cables. The build from Adrenaline included a kind of odd "S" curve for the derailleur cables that allowed them to run parallel to the downtube. By crossing the cables beneath the downtube I was able to eliminate the "S" and create a more natural bend. I was also able to swap out the stock black SRAM cable housing for some white Jagwire housing I had on hand and get a bit more white into the overall color scheme.

The only negative was that I lost the bar tape in the process. The adhesive backing ripped the tape as I removed it. It's a shame because I really liked the feel of the tape. Oh well... omelettes and eggs I suppose.
    Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - MLK

What the what???

The Lynskey Peloton

Finally, a decent stretch of weather and I was able to get in a 50 miler today. Rerouting the cables seems to have made the shifting smoother, but then I might have done that inadvertently when I set up the derailleurs. By the end, I was glad to have the 12-32 in back. The end of the ride included a nasty little kicker so it was nice to be able to bail out and spin.

I've also been looking for some other white bits to help balance out the look of the bike. I'm not there yet, but it's a work in progress.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Lynskey Peloton-imageuploadedbytapatalk1405551088.739234.jpg  
    Last edited by Opus51569; 07-20-2014 at 07:21 AM.
    Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - MLK

What the what???

The Lynskey Peloton

I think I've finally got the look and feel of the bike the way I want it.

The Lynskey Peloton-imageuploadedbytapatalk1405870021.164636.jpg

I had the Bontrager stem from a previous build. The white helps to tie in the white of the Apex components and the high rise fits my odd measurements. I found a white seat post from Soma to balance it out.

The Lynskey Peloton-imageuploadedbytapatalk1405870182.224569.jpg

A close-up of the new cable routing.

Attachment 298163

Attachment 298164

Attachment 298165

The bag is actually a motorcycle bar bag that I picked up at a leather shop for $15. Yeah, it's huge, but I'm a packrat, especially on longer rides.

Attachment 298166

I picked up a bar end mirror but had to do some modification due to my wide body. Now I can see the road rather than just myself.

Attachment 298173

Attachment 298168

Attachment 298170
    Last edited by Opus51569; 07-21-2014 at 01:10 PM.

What the what???

The Lynskey Peloton

The problem is the bike just feels "right". It's not too stiff. It doesn't flex too much. It absorbs but doesn't feel dead.

It's a bit of a "Goldilocks" problem. Not too hot, not too cold... just right.

But how do you adequately express that in a comprehensive review? I haven't figured that out, yet. So, here's a picture...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Lynskey Peloton-img_0719.jpg  
    Last edited by Opus51569; 09-20-2014 at 01:10 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I really like the white component look, if they had the white components when I got my Peloton I would have gone that route too, instead I went with all silver trying to be different from the all black stuff I see all the time. Too bad SRAM didn't make a white front derailleur, I would be half inclined to tape off the Sram words and the inside facings of the derailleur and paint it a glossy white to match the rear!

I am thinking of going with white bottle holders and a white pump though instead of silver. I already have white handlebar tape but black hoods and a white seat and white cabling.

What the what???
    Since I'm relegated to the rollers indoors, I thought I'd try to find some more white bits for the Peloton. I swapped out the Velocity Deep Vs I had on my commuter. I had wanted a wider bar, so I picked up a 46cm Deda RHM01 in white as well, though you can't really see it in the picture. VP 069 pedals in white. Timbuk2 seat bag in white as well.

I don't think I'll be changing saddle and bar tape to white and changing the fork just to get a different color seems a little excessive. So, this is how it's going to look for a while.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Lynskey Peloton-image.jpg  
    Last edited by Opus51569; 02-24-2015 at 03:29 PM.

What the what???
    Yep. Still looks the same.

The Lynskey Peloton-imageuploadedbytapatalk1445136744.494224.jpg

Still performing flawlessly, too.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Opus51569 View Post
    and changing the fork just to get a different color seems a little excessive.
    First off, cool thread. I missed it back then. I'm in the process of getting a steel frame that I choose everything else for from a local shop so can kind of relate.

Regarding the fork. Yes changing for color seems pointless when you consider you could get a pro paint job for much less (I think).....but it might be worth it for tire clearance.

I have to wonder if you got the right fork to begin with? You mentioned Lynsky said the bike easily fits 28mm tires but assuming the picture is an accurate image of reality that clearly isn't the case unless those tires are way oversized. So gotta wonder if that's the fork that's intended for that bike because I can't image them thinking they'd get away with saying it easily fits 28mm when that so clearly isn't true.

Edit: I googled Jack Brown tires and only see them available in 33.3mm. Perhaps you don't actually have 28mm tires and that's why it's so tight?

What the what???

The Lynskey Peloton

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    First off, cool thread. I missed it back then. I'm in the process of getting a steel frame that I choose everything else for from a local shop so can kind of relate.

Regarding the fork. Yes changing for color seems pointless when you consider you could get a pro paint job for much less (I think).....but it might be worth it for tire clearance.

I have to wonder if you got the right fork to begin with? You mentioned Lynsky said the bike easily fits 28mm tires but assuming the picture is an accurate image of reality that clearly isn't the case unless those tires are way oversized. So gotta wonder if that's the fork that's intended for that bike because I can't image them thinking they'd get away with saying it easily fits 28mm when that so clearly isn't true.

Edit: I googled Jack Brown tires and only see them available in 33.3mm. Perhaps you don't actually have 28mm tires and that's why it's so tight?
    I wondered that, too, but I know it's the Lynskey Sport carbon fork on the bike which I think was an option if I had bought the full build from Lynskey. I could be wrong, though. Maybe they're assuming an ENVE fork option.

The tires in the picture are actually Panaracer Ruffy Tuffys and they're labeled 28s. I haven't put calipers to them to get an actual width, though.

The rims might be an issue. I'm running Velocity Deep Vs. Maybe a slightly wider rim would spread the tire out a bit more and give a little more clearance? Even so, though, I don't think 28s would ever be comfortable.

I see now that the new sport options on the Lynskey site lists 25 for the tire size.
    Last edited by Opus51569; 02-25-2016 at 09:47 AM.

What the what???

The Lynskey Peloton

The tight tolerance of the Ruffy Tuffys got me thinking 25s might be a better option long-term.

So I decided to go crazy/stupid and try a set of ThickSlick 25s in "white". I say "white" because they were white online when I ordered them. They were white in the box when they arrived. They stayed white when I mounted them. By the end of the driveway, though... they were "white" the way the Apex brake hoods are "white". By the end of the first ride on sloppy snow melt roads it was clear they would never be white again. But I figure everything looks fine when its rolling.

Anywho, the clearance for the forks is much better.
    Last edited by Opus51569; 05-19-2016 at 05:04 AM.

What the what???

The Lynskey Peloton

Wondered if the white tires and white rims might cancel each other out. I had a set of H. Plus Sons Archetypes in black. I think I might like it better.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Opus51569; 06-26-2016 at 10:39 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'm not one for white tape, saddles or hoods, but white rubber on black rims look good.

I've not had any of the issues of decals peeling on my sportive, but maybe they bond better on the unbrushed/satin frame I have vs the more polished frames.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The internet is a little like a bar, a wonderful place where we can bullsh(t our past, but it also, is full of reasonably reliable sources of information to be used as ammo to call "bullish)t."

What the what???

The Lynskey Peloton

Quote Originally Posted by kjdhawkhill View Post
    I'm not one for white tape, saddles or hoods, but white rubber on black rims look good.

I've not had any of the issues of decals peeling on my sportive, but maybe they bond better on the unbrushed/satin frame I have vs the more polished frames.

It's odd with the decals. They aren't peeling, they're cracking. It's like the material is somehow brittle. It cracks and then starts to flake off over time. I'm about to take a ScotchBrite to it all and let the head badge do the talking.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Opus51569 View Post
    It's odd with the decals. They aren't peeling, they're cracking. It's like the material is somehow brittle. It cracks and then starts to flake off over time. I'm about to take a ScotchBrite to it all and let the head badge do the talking.

That is odd. I'd ride it until I couldn't stand it. But I also appreciate patina and honorably earned scratches and scars. So that could be a while.

The internet is a little like a bar, a wonderful place where we can bullsh(t our past, but it also, is full of reasonably reliable sources of information to be used as ammo to call "bullish)t."

RoadBikeReview Member
    That's the nice thing about decals. When they flake off, just strip them all off and go naked. Nice and clean. I'm pretty much stuck with 3D decals on my r240. Oh well.

What the what???

The Lynskey Peloton

Pumpkin spice...

The pedals took a while to find. Now I need some orange spacers and a seat post clamp.

Last edited by Opus51569; 10-15-2016 at 03:01 PM.

What the what???

The Lynskey Peloton

Better.

It's the little things. Now, if only Brooks made a B-17 in orange... Maybe Honey Brown is orange enough?

Last edited by Opus51569; 02-19-2017 at 08:57 AM.

is riding in MOPP4
    Nice! Bitex makes white hubs (RAR12) that would go well with your color scheme. Cheap and reliable.
    Wake me up when it's alarm green.

What the what???

The Lynskey Peloton

After a particularly humid ride, I returned home to discover that I had, literally sweated through my saddle. The honey brown B-17 looked like dark brown. It returned mostly to its old color once it dried, but it got me thinking about something a little more water resistant. So, I decided to try a Brooks Cambium. I ordered a C-19 in Natural.

It promises to need no adjustments nor breaking in and to be waterproof. Well see.

Otherwise, the Peloton continues to be remarkably unremarkable. Its just a beautifully smooth and comfortable bike every time I ride.
    Last edited by Opus51569; 08-01-2017 at 01:44 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123