Thread: Macalu

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2004

Macalu

So whats up with these frames I see at Excel? Rebadged Lightspeeds that are NOS, welded on Friday's at 4pm, cosmetic blemishes..... I am suprised to see such a price for a Ti frame. Are they inferior to Lightspeeds in quaility. I've heard that there were QA issues when they merged with Merlin but are now over that hump.

johnny99
    Apr 2004
    They are probably similar to the Litespeed Firenze, which sells for about the same price.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubba
    So whats up with these frames I see at Excel? Rebadged Lightspeeds that are NOS, welded on Friday's at 4pm, cosmetic blemishes..... I am suprised to see such a price for a Ti frame. Are they inferior to Lightspeeds in quaility. I've heard that there were QA issues when they merged with Merlin but are now over that hump.

Litespeed has built frames for other companies for years. A few that come to mind include: Merckx, Look, Colorado Cyclist (Douglas), Jenson (Zion), Excel Sports (Macalu), Mcmahn, Spectrum, Bianchi, and others I can't think of. All frames are of the same build quality as far as I can tell. The differences are in the tubing.

The only downside to an off brand frame is the resale value.

Ed

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2004

Tubing

Ed- would you think then that their straight gauge and maybe not ovalized in areas? Hard to tell what the tube diameters are from the pics. I'm not a big guy (150 lb) so not concerned about a wimpy drivetrain.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

quality is there...

I looked at these frmes when I visited Excel's tiny showroom. They looked well made to me. The difference is you don't pay big bucks for highly manipulated tube shapes or integrated headsets. The seat tube is also not oversize. The finish is brushed, which looks better than the "satin" on the Firenze.

johnny99
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by C-40
    I looked at these frmes when I visited Excel's tiny showroom. They looked well made to me. The difference is you don't pay big bucks for highly manipulated tube shapes or integrated headsets. The seat tube is also not oversize. The finish is brushed, which looks better than the "satin" on the Firenze.
    I've heard that the Macalus were really Litespeed Arenberg frames. Litespeed replaced the Arenberg with the Firenze, which has some fatter tubes for better bottom bracket stiffness. One common complaint was that the Arenberg was too flexy in the bigger frame sizes. If you're happy with the ride of the Macalu, then go for it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by johnny99
    I've heard that the Macalus were really Litespeed Arenberg frames. Litespeed replaced the Arenberg with the Firenze, which has some fatter tubes for better bottom bracket stiffness. One common complaint was that the Arenberg was too flexy in the bigger frame sizes. If you're happy with the ride of the Macalu, then go for it.
    This sounds about right. I think these frames use 1.25" tubing for all three main tubes. The frame should ride nicely but may be a little flexy in the bottom bracket and back end. Should be no real problem for a 150 lb'er unless you are super strong and like to mash the pedals.

You might also want to try to find a NOS LS Classic. It uses slightly larger tubing but will still ride well.

Good luck.

Ed