View Poll Results: Magnesium or Carbon Dogma (Pinarello)?

Voters
45. You may not vote on this poll
  • Dogma FPX (blue Europe/Asia-issue): Magnesium

31 68.89%
  • Dogma 60.1 (red): Carbon

14 31.11%
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2007

Magnesium or Carbon Dogma?

I'm planning on posting some better photos of my bikes in the next few days but here are some from my blackberry.

As you can see, I like all things doggie.... However, I must admit that I would take the magnesium Dogma FPX over the new carbon Dogma 60.1 any day of the week.

Would be interested to hear which one you all like better per the above poll.

RoadBikeReview Member

Magnesium Dogma

I have a Magnesium Dogma as well. It's a fantastic frameset.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Duke249
    I have a Magnesium Dogma as well. It's a fantastic frameset.
    Agreed. I have yet to find a better ride. The new carbon Doggie does not compare.
    Last edited by apark; 12-30-2009 at 07:11 PM.

flinty-eyed moderator
    The carbon is probably a better bike, but the Mg version was unique.
    Dr. Cox: Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard fillings. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine.

Adrenalina Italiana

Definately the magnesium.

I love mine. definately has soul.
    " the odds are good, the goods are even odder."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2007
    The poll seems to be overwhelmingly in favor of magnesium. Glad to see we have good taste here -- discerning people who don't just follow the marketing and crowd. I'll continue to give the carbon Doggie a fair shot over the next year, but the magnesium will always have a special place in the history of top-end race frames.

Formosan Cyclocross
    Carbon explodes in direct sunlight and Magnesium combusts in contact with water... either way you can't lose. ;)

Magnesium!

gh1
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by apark
    The poll seems to be overwhelmingly in favor of magnesium. Glad to see we have good taste here -- discerning people who don't just follow the marketing and crowd. I'll continue to give the carbon Doggie a fair shot over the next year, but the magnesium will always have a special place in the history of top-end race frames.
    History is right, as in the past. I would take the carbon hands down.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by gh1
    History is right, as in the past. I would take the carbon hands down.
    You're basing that on marketing literature, not through experience of ownership. That's exactly the power of marketing that Pinarello wants you to feel.

The latest isn't always the best - sometimes, it's just cheaper for manufacturers to produce at lower cost and throw glitzy marketing around it by leveraging the brand value they've built over the years. Pinarello is an exceptional company, and it is exceptional at both marketing and innovation, which makes it increasing difficult to guage which is which without actually owning the products.

When you look at the history of most great companies, they always eventually end up compromising quality and exclusivity in exchange for profitability -- the good ones can do this with minimal impact on quality, which works as long as they can continue to innovate at the same speed as their product releases. Their competitive advantage eventually ends up becoming the marketing they use to demonstrate their points of difference vs. other brands.

I am a huge Pinarello loyalist - they make tremendous products. My only point in starting this thread is not to bag on their new products but to explain that they have made such great products all along, so they are a tough act to top even for themselves. And therefore, their marketing has made their latest innovations appear greater than they are relative to their past innovations.