RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2017

Making a purchase soon - should I do a Used 2010 Gary Fisher or a new Cannondale 2017

Hi guys! First time poster. I'm really torn between a decision. So a quick backstory - i've been riding hybrids my whole biking life (2007 ish, I got my first Trek Hybrid) - i'm finally ready to start biking more seriously, and I want to get a road bike.

I've been searching all over Craigslist so I can save some money (recent college grad, buried in debt and trying to conserve) but I can push 1k. Just thought buying used would give me the most bang for my bucks.

So I've narrowed it down to two options. A guy has a used Gary Fisher Ion Super, 2010, my perfect size (52cm [i'm 5' 7", 29" inseam]) for $500 - OR my LBS has a brand new cannondale, also my perfect size, (51cm) for $950. The LBS offers lifetime tune ups (the quick break inspection, alignment stuff).

So my question to you experts is, do I save $450 and go with the used fisher, that is now 7 years old; or do I go new for the extra cash.

I have ridden BOTH, and both FEEL great. The Cannondale had slightly better shifting in my opinion - incredibly smooth. Geometry and feel of the handel bar position fealt great on both as well.

Here are the links to both.

https://goo.gl/XBWLQi

https://goo.gl/687mqV

I tried my best to compare the gears, breaks, tires etc and read reviews before I cam here to beg for advice - so please trust that I have put in some effort to make this decision on my own. I just would really like the comfort of knowing that someone experienced has given me some advice before I make the leap!

Thank you in advance!!!

--- Edit: The used fisher is in exceptional condition. The owner said it was his wives' and she only rode it 7 times and then they had a baby and she stopped training. It's had some yearly tune ups, but has otherwise been hanging in the garage. I believe him. When I test rode it myself, it appeared to be flawless.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by divisionibanez View Post
    Hi guys! First time poster. I'm really torn between a decision. So a quick backstory - i've been riding hybrids my whole biking life (2007 ish, I got my first Trek Hybrid) - i'm finally ready to start biking more seriously, and I want to get a road bike.

I've been searching all over Craigslist so I can save some money (recent college grad, buried in debt and trying to conserve) but I can push 1k. Just thought buying used would give me the most bang for my bucks.

So I've narrowed it down to two options. A guy has a used Gary Fisher Ion Super, 2010, my perfect size (52cm [i'm 5' 7", 29" inseam]) for $500 - OR my LBS has a brand new cannondale, also my perfect size, (51cm) for $950. The LBS offers lifetime tune ups (the quick break inspection, alignment stuff).

So my question to you experts is, do I save $450 and go with the used fisher, that is now 7 years old; or do I go new for the extra cash.

I have ridden BOTH, and both FEEL great. The Cannondale had slightly better shifting in my opinion - incredibly smooth. Geometry and feel of the handel bar position fealt great on both as well.

Here are the links to both.

https://goo.gl/XBWLQi

https://goo.gl/687mqV

I tried my best to compare the gears, breaks, tires etc and read reviews before I cam here to beg for advice - so please trust that I have put in some effort to make this decision on my own. I just would really like the comfort of knowing that someone experienced has given me some advice before I make the leap!

Thank you in advance!!!

--- Edit: The used fisher is in exceptional condition. The owner said it was his wives' and she only rode it 7 times and then they had a baby and she stopped training. It's had some yearly tune ups, but has otherwise been hanging in the garage. I believe him. When I test rode it myself, it appeared to be flawless.
    You probably will be fine with either bike to be honest, but I would always choose a deal that comes with a warranty and a shop when I have the chance. How about splitting the baby? You could probably get the CAAD Optimo, which is the new and improved CAAD 8 for around $700, which saves you some money and gets you a new bike, plus I like it better than the Synapse you were looking at. The Giant Contend and Specialized Allez are other options and those brand new bikes come in around $600-$700, so why go used ya know?

CAAD Optimo Claris Cannondale Bicycles

Here's the Allez and the Contend:

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/bi...llez-e5/115176

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/contend-3
    Last edited by Rashadabd; 06-01-2017 at 03:08 PM.
    Every climb has its end, for verily with difficulty there is relief...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Welcome to RBR by the way.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Rashadabd View Post
    You probably will be fine with either bike to be honest, but I would always choose a deal that comes with a warranty and a shop when I have the chance. How about splitting the baby? You could probably get the CAAD Optimo, which is the new and improved CAAD 8 for around $700, which saves you some money and gets you a new bike, plus I like it better than the Synapse you were looking at. The Giant Contend and Specialized Allez are other options and those brand new bikes come in around $600-$700, so why go used ya know?

Here's the Allez and the Contend:

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/bi...llez-e5/115176

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/contend-3
    Good thinking; I actually test rode the Specialized Allez at the same time as the Cannondale. Simliarly to what I thought with the Gary, the Cannondale's shifting felt a bit better - but possibly not $300 better :P because you're right, it was $650. Thanks for your opinions!

Welcome to RBR by the way.
    And thank you!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    No worries, happy to help. You can always upgrade shifters and components off of deals you find online down the road anyways. I buy a lot of stuff off of eBay, nashbar, chain reaction cycles, western bike works, Jenson USA, wiggle, etc. for great prices on closeout or sale. Just get the bike you like most in your price range. It's a added benefit if it comes with a warranty and a relationship with a shop in my opinion, but truly it's up to you. Update us on what you decide to do.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2017
    Any other last minute tips from anyone?

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    Those Gary Fisher road bikes were on my short list of bikes to buy when I ultimately wound up building a road bike. They were decent, IMO...it's a shame that Trek killed off the brand
    I lost my phone number. Can I have yours?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by old_fuji View Post
    Those Gary Fisher road bikes were on my short list of bikes to buy when I ultimately wound up building a road bike. They were decent, IMO...it's a shame that Trek killed off the brand
    So do you think it is worth $500, when there are 2017 Specialized Allez for $650? That's my struggle.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    Quote Originally Posted by divisionibanez View Post
    So do you think it is worth $500, when there are 2017 Specialized Allez for $650? That's my struggle.
    I'm going to defer and give you a non-answer

Try to get your butt onto as many bikes as possible, starting above your budget, and get an idea of exactly what you're looking for. Then, pare down the features that aren't necessary until you get within your budget.

For me, it would be well worth the $500 (well, I'd offer $450 based on the bicyclebluebook link) to get the Gary Fisher, since I have tried it and loved it. I wasn't in love with the offerings in Specialized's Allez line when I was looking. I ultimately wound up building my bike as close to a Cannondale Synapse as I possibly could, since that bike was the one that I really loved.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2014
    For 150 i would go with the shop just for the warranty. They may also give you a discount on accessories at time of purchase.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcfarton View Post
    For 150 i would go with the shop just for the warranty. They may also give you a discount on accessories at time of purchase.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
    Thanks for the opinion!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2017
    For me, having the support of the LBS is huge. Your guy does lifetime tune-up support? I'd jump on that.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    I think you should test a Caad Optimo before you make up your mind if you can. It is more affordable than the Synapse, but Cannondale has a long history of doing good things with aluminum. I really like that bike for the price point. You have a bunch of options in this price range that are all pretty similar (including those listed above and the Trek 1 Series and BMC ALR, etc.). I don't see any reason to go used and pass on a warranty and a free fit session unless you just have to have the Gary Fisher. It's truly up to you what you do from here though. None of us can give you the correct answer.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I think you should test a Caad Optimo......
    This is a totally different type of bike from the ones the OP mentioned. The ones he's looking at are endurance road bikes with a more upright position. The CAAD bikes have a lower more aggressive race position - probably not what the OP is looking for.

To the OP: I agree with what others have said about having the support of a bike shop and a warranty. If you can possibly swing it, I would go for the Synapse. It's a great bike and the shop should give you a detailed fitting when they sell you the bike.

One red flag with the Gary Fisher. They are now owned by Trek and use Bontrager (Trek branded) components. Their wheels have been troublesome. The $500 may not be such a great deal if you are then faced with another $200 for a new wheel set.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post

One red flag with the Gary Fisher. They are now owned by Trek and use Bontrager (Trek branded) components. Their wheels have been troublesome. The $500 may not be such a great deal if you are then faced with another $200 for a new wheel set.
    The red flag wheels are the paired spokes ones, the 'wheels of doom', they look cool, but they are lacking in durability.
    The standard spoked ones are okay.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    This is a totally different type of bike from the ones the OP mentioned. The ones he's looking at are endurance road bikes with a more upright position. The CAAD bikes have a lower more aggressive race position - probably not what the OP is looking for.

To the OP: I agree with what others have said about having the support of a bike shop and a warranty. If you can possibly swing it, I would go for the Synapse. It's a great bike and the shop should give you a detailed fitting when they sell you the bike.

Trek killed off the GF moniker just a few years after their foray into road biking...maybe 2012 or so?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011

I find that we overstate the difference between race and endurance bikes a lot of times to be honest. A good shop can often fit you on either bike comfortably given all the spacer and stem options we have today. Again OP, try different bikes and just get the one you want most. Don't let us over influence you.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2010

Making a purchase soon - should I do a Used 2010 Gary Fisher or a new Cannondale 2017

Fisher was their own company through I want to say 2009, then they were produced by Trek. I've got a 2009 Fisher, and it definitely not Trek branded.

Ok, I am done hijacking your thread.
    Truth be said, go with the new bike over used. Get something up to date and a warranty. When you are into your 3rd or 4th and have the knowledge to tinker, then go for the used one. My $.02

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2017
    Thanks everyone!!! Very helpful advice!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by davez26 View Post
    The red flag wheels are the paired spokes ones, the 'wheels of doom', they look cool, but they are lacking in durability.
    The standard spoked ones are okay.
    The paired spoke ones are the worst for sure, but even the standard spoked ones after that aren't without problems.

I find that we overstate the difference between race and endurance bikes a lot of times to be honest. A good shop can often fit you on either bike comfortably given all the spacer and stem options we have today.
    Spacer and stem options may be OK for an existing bike, but it is still a case of fitting a round peg in a square hole. Possible, but not optimal. I certainly would not purchase a new bike to do this with when there are so many options for your type of frame geometry.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

hfc
    Doesn't like subtitles
    I will swim against the current and recommend used. In fact, I'm surprised so many cycling aficionados here are recommending buying new. I would offer $400 on that Gary Fisher. Shimano Sora is entry level stuff, a big level below the Tiagra (which also note is 10 speed vs 9) on the Fisher. The wheel set on the Cannondale will also undoubtedly be pretty crappy, which is how dealers are able to offer bargain prices on carbon frame bikes.

I have bought in the neighborhood of 20 bikes over the years and only one (a Performance frame for my son) was new. Frame failures on quality made bikes are rare and IMO of minimal value unless you're paying thousands for a high end carbon frame. Tuneups and adjustments can be learned (and should be learned) by investing $50 in some good used tools and spending some time on youtube or the Leonard Zinn book.

In a couple of years, you might be ready for a nicer bike and that Cannondale is going to be worth about $400-$500 and that Fisher will still be worth about $400.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by hfc View Post
    I will swim against the current and recommend used. In fact, I'm surprised so many cycling aficionados here are recommending buying new. I would offer $400 on that Gary Fisher. Shimano Sora is entry level stuff, a big level below the Tiagra (which also note is 10 speed vs 9) on the Fisher. The wheel set on the Cannondale will also undoubtedly be pretty crappy, which is how dealers are able to offer bargain prices on carbon frame bikes.
    I think you may have missed something here: if the Gary Fisher is from 2010, then it's not going to have Tiagra 4600.

From what I can see, that bike came (comes) with Tiagra 4500 ...which was nine speed as well: 4600 should have launched in 2011 if my google fu is holding up.

As far as function goes, my experience is that Sora parts aren't bad actually: however, the levers in particular do look markedly cheaper, even though I never liked the look of Tiagra 4600 levers, different class than same gen 105 5700 IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by hfc View Post
    Tuneups and adjustments can be learned (and should be learned) by investing $50 in some good used tools and spending some time on youtube or the Leonard Zinn book.
    Seconded, I could almost consider paying to make sure the LBS does not put their hands on my bikes.

One could think I've been terribly unlucky, however DC Rainmaker routinely points out how LBS cannot be trusted for installing power meters that have torque requirements.

This indeed lines up with my experience: looking up the various torques and setting the wrench takes some time, so mostly everything is tightened by hand, and that means undertightened.

The last time I was forced to have my bike serviced, it came back with loose bottom bracket and crankset, expander incorrectly set up (whoever did the work obviously had absolutely no clue how the FSA expander plug is supposed to be installed), and the RD cable routed wrong (that cable guide isn't there just for show)

Needless to say, I redid the whole bike myself.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2017
    Good points about the maintenance guys..thanks!