Thread: masi evo

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011

masi evo

just got my masi evo 105 / 2012 model and love it - been out once for a short ride and the bike rides really well - has anyone out there ridden the wheelset ritchey ds pro 6061 - wondering if it will hold up well with a 200+lbs rider - when i sold my last frameset i should have kept my wheelset - open pros with dt swiss 240's

cheers

RoadBikeReview Member
    WTF? No pics?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    nope - but have not changed the factory build

9er
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Pics or it didn't happen......

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    no pics - bike happened -

9er
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by uhland View Post
    no pics - bike happened -
    You can use my avatar bike pic then. Look familiar?
    Good choice.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    awesome !!! they make a very nice bike - color scheme is very nicely done - how are you wheels holding up ?

9er
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Good at 185 lbs.
    Have the wheels checked at 200-ish miles. Just a slight adjustment quieted down the painted spokes.
    I've had a couple 'caught off gaurd' hard impacts. One so hard I got a double pinch flat. Wheels still run straight and true.

Sparkee
    May 2009
    Can any of you write a few additional comments about your EVOs please? The owner of my LBS has been trying to sell me one, the Rival, (I would like to buy a small brand bike), however he cannot get one in for a demo and I do not want to put in a deposit until I have read some real feedback. There is so little written about them that I have been sitting on the fence for a couple of months. I want to use the bike for a set of beginner crits next year and to ride centuries on. I presume it has to be a better ride than my current aluminum bike.
    Also any of you have trouble being sized for the bike? Seems to be a big gap between the 53 and the 56, which I fall between (I am about 5'9.5"). I will be sized properly along with my deposit, but he thinks I would be best suited to the 56.

9er
    RoadBikeReview Member
    I demo'ed the rival and 105. Although there are differences, someone of my level didn't feel them. They both rode and would shift smooth. What more do I need?
    It honestly came down to cost (1) and I didn't really care for the yellow (2).
    Coming from a new road guy I certainly don't know what to look for or how to describe it but here goes.
    Rides smooth as butter. Forgiving yet rigid. Cockpit feels good. Saddle is very comfortable. The way your body lays out is comfortable with most any hand postion. I still need a little more core/back strength to feel comfortable for any duration in the drops. But thatís me, not the bike.
    Detail, fit and finish is great. The internal full casing cable routing is clean and smooth. They showed me a cut-away of a frame exposing the aluminum tubes that run internally to carry cables. Very cool.
    I think it's pretty light. I really feel efficient when hammering down the road.

Bottom line, to me it kicks ass. If I had the chance again, Iíd get the same one.
    Granted Iíve only got a few hundred miles on it, I really really like it.
    Iím an avid mountain biker so I know just enough to get in trouble.
    I changed out the aluminum Ritchey bars for some carbon wing type bars. Thatís it.
    I assume at the price point/level the components are pretty standard. However, seems you get more for your money with the Masi as opposed to the big brands.
    My 2c.

Sparkee
    May 2009
    Thanks for taking the time to explain more about your bike. I probably have been so concerned about the high mod carbon vs the mid mod carbon that I have completely lost perspective. I bet that there is no way that I could tell the difference between frames. The only thing I really need is a bike that does not transmit the road buzz as much as my current ride.

I too do not particularly care for the yellow Rival and the ultegra version is over my budget and building up the alternate colored frameset is more expensive than the rival version even with poorer components.

So based on your comments, I think I may well go for the apex version, as I like that color and gearing configuration, but use my current wheels. Then upgrade as money is available.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    sorry, but i have been gone and just saw your response - i have had my 2012 evo 105 now long enough to go out on 4, 35 mile rides and the bike is smooth, shifts well, stiff and responds well - i'm lucky enough to live where i can go out my front door and ride on bike lanes in 3 different loops that have flats, decents and hill in 7 mile loops - the bike performs great its only me that has some issues - the only thing that is a point of concern are the wheels - i'm a big rider at 220 lbs but i figure at the bikes price point i will use them till they are gone and then build up a nice set of open pro's with a good hub set - either 240's or chris king