RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2011

Masi Speciale Commuter size help

OK, Ive read and reread many forums, even going so far as to join. Ive seen some close posts but my ocd needs a situation specific answer;
    51 or 53...
    I am 5' 9"+, 31+" inseam (no shoes).
    Apparently finding one of these bikes to rest ride in Seattle is like finding D.B. Cooper's cash. I find the specs between the frame sizes very close and stood over a Raleigh One Way in a 52 today and it was a nice, relaxed stance.
    The use: commuting, grocery runs and eventually the SeattleToPortland.
    I need an upgrade from the '97 Trek but want something that will last as long and love the blank slate, yet good baseline, that the Commuter offers.

Wave, dammit!
    Since you have the specs of the Masi, my advice would be to try and find a different brand of bike with similar geometry that you can test ride in a 51 and a 53. If that's not possible, at 5'9" I would go with the 53cm frame.
    When a cyclist in your area is injured or killed by a motorist, make an extra effort the next day to go for a ride. It doesn't have to be an organized ride, or even a long ride. Hell, ride a 15 minute loop around your neighborhood if you want.

Just be seen riding your bike.

Do it to make people aware we're out there. Do it to honor a fellow traveler. Do it because you're lucky enough to still be able to.

LC
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004
    It is not a good idea for a new rider to ride a single speed around the hills of Seattle.

Is your old bike a single speed/fixed? I got to ask because anyone that would have the legs to ride a single speed on those monster hills would have enough years in the saddle to know exactly what size they need.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2011
    I actually live in Wedgewood neighborhood, a few hills but nothing wild, not in comparison to downtown Seattle. I roll a 97 Trek mountaintrack XC, its geared.

LC
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004
    So your never going to leave Wedgewood?

Pick one gear on your current bike, tape up the gear levers so you can't change gears for the whole ride, and then ride over to Queen Anne hill and tell me you still want a single speed. Let me know what time your going to do this so I can watch you

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sorry a little late coming to the game but I wouldn't put you on either of those sizes. I own this bike. I am 5' 8" with a 31.5" inseam and I have the 53 cm. The top tube is also 53 cm and for me it is way too short. I have played with this bike to get it to fit but the reality is I need the larger top tube. So yesterday I went out and ordered the next size up which they call the 56 but don't let that number fool you, nothing on that bike is a 56. The top tube is a 55. This bike doesn't have the stand-over clearance I would like but at least I will be more comfortable on it.

Just before I ordered the new Masi, I took out the Raleigh One Way 55 cm out for a ride and that top tube was 54. The top tube length was nice but the problem for me with that bike is the bottom bracket height is high. It is a full 3/4 of an inch higher than their Sojourn which would be nicer for a commuter bike, at least in handling. I have a pet peeve with bottom brackets that are high but I think because this bike can be fixed, they went with the higher bottom bracket. For a non-fixed commuter bike, a more standard bottom bracket height is warranted.

By next week I will have the new bike, so I will be able to compare both bikes for long periods of time. Eventually one of them is going to get sold and I suspect it is the 53.

Hopefully you will be able to test one to see which one is right for you.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2011
    Thank you, that was exactly what I needed to hear!!! Someone with my same "specs" who owns one.

Good luck with the 56!