RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2008

Master X Light or De Rosa Avant

Hi! My first post here. Been lurking for sometime now. I am currently at a lost on what bike to get and was wondering if you guys can help me out. Some background. I used to ride alot/competitively 20 years ago. Back then I had a Colnago/DA STI combo. After settling down I sold most of my stuff and forgot about riding. Recently, during a return flight from Florida, I saw a bike mag and started reading. Suddenly it all came back to me. I wanted to ride again. After doing some research, I got overwhelmed. Seemed that in those 20 years, alot has changed. And there is a dizzying array of options. I now have narrowed down my choices to the Master X Light (traditional) or the Avant (modern). Another reason I chose these two is they fit within my budget of about 4k to 4.5k for the whole bike. I was hoping some of you can give me some heads up about the ride quality of these two bike. I weight 180 lbs and stand 5'9" btw. Regards

Chris

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2005
    see if you can ride them they are different. I would go with a colnago mxl as it is a classic keeper and the Avant is already old news no to say it was also a low end frame.
    The steel mxl is a sweet frame but then I like steel.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2007
    If it's just between those two +1 for Mxl, it'll be a classic another 20 years from now if you're still into cycling then, or if you give up cycling the mxl would probably have better resale value.

The Avant is the entry level carbon bike from De Rosa, which is completely out sourced, and tends to find its way to the closeout rack. The more higher end carbon frames are put together in Italy in De Rosa's factory. The mid level Idol is an awesome riding bike, but it costs more and may put you out of your budget.

If you haven't been back into cycling for while, though I think it would be a lot more fun to buy a lower end or used bike on the cheap, ride like crazy and build up your conditioning, and during that time do more research on what's changed in cycling and then put together your dream bike and component list. If all of a sudden you get your dream bike tomorrow the thrill may be gone after a few rides, or you may be wishing you had gotten something else.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2007
    The Avant is a really nice bike but you should go with the de rosa corum (steel frame w/ carbon fork) instead. I have ridden both the master x light and the corum. I thought the de rosa had a better feel and handled better.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2006
    Why not a Neo Primato?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2007
    The Neo Primato is cool as well but the carbon fork of the corum i think is a better ride

duh...
    fit? does one fit better?

keep rubber side down
    Go with the Corum. And that's my vote! The nice full blue frame. Man this is a bike! With the Mizuno fork, and the nice welds! Isn't it the best compromise! A steel bike like the Master x-light... but a De Rosa!

Mmmm! Beauty!
    “There are many things worth living for, a few things worth dying for, and nothing worth killing for.” Tom Robbins

"See, at my age and level, one is racing for glory. There can be glory finishing dead last. But there will never be any glory cheating to win." S. Lamarre

Number10
    Jun 2006
    ride them both and see what fits better then go for the mxl

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2008
    Thanks for all the inputs guys. Really appreciate it. Anyway after much consideration, I have finally decided on the blue CLX I have been riding on a steel before. And though I loved steel, I thought I might try to give the new material a try and see. Now I cant decide wether to get Record or DA for her

Chris

Cannot bench own weight
    From Steel to Carbon just like that. Boy, the advertising sure works wonders these days ;)

That said, just and FYI, the CLX is not made in Italy. Does that matter to you?
    77th highest post count as of 9/4/2008

Two wheels=freedom!
    Sep 2003
    Colnago Master XL = Campagnolo Chorus

Asian carbon = Shimano DA

(Well, at least that's what I did)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by kukula
    Thanks for all the inputs guys. Really appreciate it. Anyway after much consideration, I have finally decided on the blue CLX I have been riding on a steel before. And though I loved steel, I thought I might try to give the new material a try and see. Now I cant decide wether to get Record or DA for her

Chris

While you're going with new, why not SRAM Red or Force?

I've been on Shimano for the past 15 years with occasional rides on Campy. I opted for Force on my newest bike. It's great. Light, easy to shift, and the carbon looks really good especially on a carbon frame.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2008
    After everythings said and done, I finally pulled the trigger for the MXL with full Campy Record Group and Fulcrum 5 wheels. I wanted the Fulcrum 0 but then twas way out of my budget I dunno. My shop was giving me a really good deal on the CLX and Red Group. But in the end I guess the old school part of me won out. Now the waiting game begins. Thanks for all the input guys

Chris

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2004
    I've been thinking of a Master Light as well. I have a new Trek Madone 5.2 and a Pinarello 3:13...both are outstanding (with the Pinarello being the better bike in my humble opinion) but I just can't get past the overall "goodness" of my old Panasonic steel bike. I don't like pedaling the carbon bikes in the flats, when steel seems to maintain a pace better... at least until the steep hills appear...

Not Banned

and folks

Colnago has a 'special edition' Saronni mXl done in his old team livery
    sweet!

just ask yourself - which bike are you more likely to still own in 10 years
    one nation, under surveillance with liberty and justice for few

still not figgering on biggering

Shirtcocker
    Quote Originally Posted by atpjunkie
    Colnago has a 'special edition' Saronni mXl done in his old team livery
    sweet!

just ask yourself - which bike are you more likely to still own in 10 years
    Saw that color scheme...if I didn't already have a MXL, I'd be tempted.
    "I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when its components fail. There is no heaven or afterlife for broken down computers; that is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark." -S. Hawking

cmg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    the colnago extreme power, all carbon frame is also in the 'special edition' Saronni red with with white panels color scheme. a very beautiful bike. did you need to buy a complete bike? maybe just the frame.

Worker Ant
    if your looking for a steel ride, and your looking to spend 4-4.5k, why not try to find a local builder and get something custom? you choose the paint, the geometry. i mean look at a Seven, IF, Serotta, Steelman, Wojcik, and tons more. i've always heard that the paint jobs on Colnagos suck. hell, if you can get a Pegoretti i'd take that over the Colnago. that's my 2 cents worth.
    If I'm going to hell, I'm driving the bus!!

limit screwed
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by kukula
    After everythings said and done, I finally pulled the trigger for the MXL with full Campy Record Group and Fulcrum 5 wheels. I wanted the Fulcrum 0 but then twas way out of my budget I dunno. My shop was giving me a really good deal on the CLX and Red Group. But in the end I guess the old school part of me won out. Now the waiting game begins. Thanks for all the input guys

Chris
    You made the right choice. Enjoy, and post many pictures.
    "They'll be making us a shoe made entirely of steel wool and canvas. Steel is real, wool is real, so it follows that steel wool is the realest material of them all."
    -buck-50