RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2006

Merckx carbon AXM

On the market for a new(er) carbon frame and wondering if anyone out there is riding a Merckx AXM. Any feedback regarding the Merckx product would be helpful. This bike is among the few I'm considering, only 2 drawbacks I see no way around: 2 year warranty (Trek, Specialized, Giant have limited lifetime warranties) and cost.

Also posted on Manufactures Forum for Merckx.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2003

do you break frames or will race an axm in crits?

I have never had a frame issue with any bike. maybe i am just lucky. i also don't do crits. I have a few rides in on a mxm--which i think was the axm predecessor. it is a great bike--can't fault it. think it served some top pros well. it does not beat me up on longer rides, but is stiff for climbing and handles great. if i was going to go out and buy new, id probably get a TIME VXRS if comparing bikes of the same year. sorry to not have specific info on the axm, but i can't really see how any top bike of any brand like merckx, time, look, etc could be wrong.
    good luck
    jim

Gruntled
    I have the same question - I'm thinking about getting an SXM (not an AXM) and have noticed the 2 year warranty vs. the limited lifetime warranty from Specialized and Trek/Lemond. If I'm going to shell out that kind of money for a frame I want it to last a long time. I weigh 185 lbs and don't race crits, so there's probably no issue, but still the short warranty bothers me a bit.

So... anyone have opinion on (or preferably experience with) Merckx carbon frames?

Thanks!
    It's funny until someone gets hurt. Then it's hilarious.

RoadBikeReview Member
    first off, most warranties are against defects in craftmanship due to normal use-crashing your bike in a crit doesn't count. Unless the company has a crash replacement policy, the crit issue is beside the point. That said, a 2 year warranty for a premium bike is pretty lousy. on the basis of that alone, I'd walk away from such a bike-it doesn't say much in terms of the company's standing up for the long-term durability of the product. Realistically, most people don't keep a frame in high use for more than 5 years, so at least a 5 year warranty would be minimal-that includes Look and some others.

If the model is lugged, the warranty issue would be more important, since external lugs are a major weakness in carbon bonded frames, particularly BB/seat stays. A limited lifetime warranty is nice to have-would include Cervelo, Time, Lemond, and others.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2003

true--i rarely keep a bike more than 4 years anyway

but i also thought that not crashing in crits is still more stressful that average riding--lots of standing/all out effort and hard cornering--even if you don't crash catching a pedal and not crashing must cause some abnormal stresses????

also true that i rarely buy new anyway. In 8 years of riding seriously--incuding commuting to and from work the last 6 i have gone down 3 times and only scraped the edge of my bar tape off--no issue to the bike (one steel--over the bars bike was on me so no impact, one ti on my side--again i took the hit, one on carbon--which was me 1st and then the bar tape getting a little of the impact too as i slid a few feet).
    warranty would not turn me on or off to a bike, but that is just me. If i was bigger (165) i'd likely be more concerned--but for regular intended use of my bikes--riding on smooth roads, I don't think to much about it. I've seen spokes break, pedals seize, and a seatpost crack ( wrong size and overclamped to keep it from slipping) but no frame issues

of course i am sure others here can share frame issues too.

good luck of course I guess if i was buying new i'd factor it in, but it would be far down on the list of fit, performance, price, looks, resale, etc