Thread: Merida???

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2010

Merida???

Hi, my road bike has recently been stolen and I am on the market for a new one, I have seen this Merida 904 online:

http://www.thegreenbikecompany.co.uk...?ProductID=409

It looks to me like a good buy with the 105 groupset and carbon fork for the price, just wondering on anyones thoughts on Merida bikes in general as I am fairly unfamiliar with them, any ideas?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DWR88
    Hi, my road bike has recently been stolen and I am on the market for a new one, I have seen this Merida 904 online:

http://www.thegreenbikecompany.co.uk...?ProductID=409

It looks to me like a good buy with the 105 groupset and carbon fork for the price, just wondering on anyones thoughts on Merida bikes in general as I am fairly unfamiliar with them, any ideas?

Very nice bikes from a grerat factory [who makes most Specialized]
    mike
    http://www.bikesdirect.com - supports Mtbr.com and RoadBikeReview.com as great places to exchange ideas
    ~~~~
    "First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." – Mahatma Ghandi

keep rubber side down
    Spanish company, big name, mass market, largely entry level on the road market. One of the many fishes in the big pond.

Well known in MTB world as they sponsor el superhombre Juan Hermida... Like Bikesdirect says; good stuff, but I'd had: what is the advantage? Will you get any service? Warranty execution? Fit?You can probably get the same deal nearby, and paying a little extra for service might be a plus. IMO: not exceptionnaly worth it as the exotic factor is only related to absence of distribution in America. As in comparison: Bestegui Hermanos (BH bikes) is an old company that has kept on top of the game with innovation and pro-peloton representation; spanish company with high exotic factor... They don't sell cheap deals...
    French bike magasine tend to present road Merida frames as heavier and sturdy, basic and neutral. To me it is a little like a Kona, RockyMtn or Norco road frame... Sure it's not a bad bike, but what's so special about a mtb company churning out yet another carbon road frame? They want a share of the trend, but you the customer, what do you want?
    “There are many things worth living for, a few things worth dying for, and nothing worth killing for.” Tom Robbins

"See, at my age and level, one is racing for glory. There can be glory finishing dead last. But there will never be any glory cheating to win." S. Lamarre

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2005
    Merida isn't a Spanish company it is Taiwanese and one of the largest manufacturers of bikes on the planet much like Giant. Like bikesdirect just said, Merida manufactures most Specialized frames and a bunch of other brands.

keep rubber side down
    Quote Originally Posted by Italianrider76
    Merida isn't a Spanish company it is Taiwanese and one of the largest manufacturers of bikes on the planet much like Giant. Like bikesdirect just said, Merida manufactures most Specialized frames and a bunch of other brands.

You are right, got carried away because or Hermida's success and the spanish sounding name. it makes my opinion stronger though!

Sorry about the mis-lead. All I had to do was get on the web site, scroll down!
    “There are many things worth living for, a few things worth dying for, and nothing worth killing for.” Tom Robbins

"See, at my age and level, one is racing for glory. There can be glory finishing dead last. But there will never be any glory cheating to win." S. Lamarre