Thread: modern/retro

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2013

modern/retro

I own some steel classics. Recently I find myself wanting a steel frame with a modern group set in the affordable range.I've researched the usual suspects,Gunnar,Bob Jackson,Soma,Surly to name a few.I've come to the conclusion I want Reynolds 725,Tange Prestige or the equivelent.The Gunnar specs better than that and the Bob Jackson requires an upgrade for 725 and comes in about the same as a Gunnar with shipping.I finally settled on Soma at $560 with fork.Then this came along. Two different internet suppliers offering a Fuji Connoisseur (Reynolds 725) as a complete bike at $400. Absolutely un-acceptable components,at least for this build. Microshift drivetrain (8- spd.),Sunrace,Fuji branded etc. So,I'm thinking of purchasing this bike and spending the savings on better wheels etc. After selling all the components I'm putting a price point of $200-$250 on the frame.Oh,and Sheldon B. claims 8-9-10 spd. frames will be spaced the same. I like some feedback please.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2007
    8/9/10 speed hubs are all spaced the same, 130mm.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2010
    I built up a Soma Smoothie (size 56) with a tear down of an older Canondale CAAD bike.

It's got Dura Ace 7800 group and a sensible 32 hole wheelset. I use this bike as my fondo, century bike. It is super smooth over rough roads and is a blast to ride when you just want to meander and take in the scenery.

I like the idea of a steel frame updated with more modern components.

RoadBikeReview Member
    You might be able to give those components away, but you certainly aren't going to get $200 for them...

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2013
    Yeah,I'm still on the Soma bandwagon.Wish someone had some feedback on the Fuji frame. Their component group on this one makes me suspicious,it's as if they have placed it in their lowest tier. Doesn't seem to make sense with the Reynolds 725.

Cranky Old Bastard
    Quote Originally Posted by bdooner View Post
    Wish someone had some feedback on the Fuji frame. Their component group on this one makes me suspicious,it's as if they have placed it in their lowest tier. Doesn't seem to make sense with the Reynolds 725.
    In the past some companies used name brand tubing for the main triangle (and put the sticker on it) with cheaper stays.
    I owned an off-brand years ago that was like that. When you looked closely at the Tange sticker it actually said that it was only the main tubes.

So that 725 frame might not be all 725.
    I don't know if Fuji does that and I would hope that they don't.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy99CL View Post
    In the past some companies used name brand tubing for the main triangle (and put the sticker on it) with cheaper stays.
    I owned an off-brand years ago that was like that. When you looked closely at the Tange sticker it actually said that it was only the main tubes.

So that 725 frame might not be all 725.
    I don't know if Fuji does that and I would hope that they don't.
    Of all the frames I researched,Bob Jackson frames surprised me in that regard.Tubing other than R-631 is an upgrade,inc.725 rear stays and/or full 725 (or 831). A 631/725 rear stayed frame almost seemed odd to me.By the way,I've always liked the Bob jacksons I've seen.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'm torn myself, between a midnight silver Soma double-cross (before they run out of that color) or paying almost twice as much for a frame from Milwaukee Bicycle Co. My current build is an 853 60th anniversary ed. Schwinn Paramount that I found on CL... but, it's never too early to start planning the next one as well. ;)

Have you looked at Mil.B.C? What about the All-city Mr. Pink? Just throwing some other options out there.

Big is relative
    R&A Cycles has closeout steel frame/forks for $400-500. They're all 130mm rear spacing so they'll take 8-11 speed drivetrains.
    Retired sailor

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2010
    having main tubes that are different from the rear triangle was not unusual in the past. I had a Bianchi with SLX main and SL rear. Did not compromise the ride. Fork blades were often a different grade of steel as well. The thing to watch out for was when the rear triangle tubes were not identified.

Someone will correct me if this is incorrect, but I believe 631 is the air hardened version of 531. If this is correct I would not worry about this too much. One of my best riding old bikes is a Mercian made from 531 in the late 80"s It's still a good product, and I personally would probably select it over 725

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    Here's some info on frame material if you haven't seen it before. I have a Bianchi Dolomiti being built up and looked up the material. Bianchi uses Columbus Spirit Niobium tubing.

Strong Frames | More Stuff | Tube Descriptions

Decrepit Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Herbie View Post
    Someone will correct me if this is incorrect, but I believe 631 is the air hardened version of 531.
    Reynolds 631 is air hardened, but the chemistry of 631 is significantly different from 531. 531 has a higher carbon content, a lower manganese content, and a lower molybdenum content than 631. 631 also contains ~2% chromium whereas 531 contains none.

Reynolds 631 and 853 have identical chemistry, and Reynolds 531 and 753 have identical chemistry.

Note that 725 has a UTS of 1050 MPa and a Yield Strength of 800 MPa, while 631 has a UTS of 800 MPa and a Yield Strength of 650 MPa. 725 would be significantly stronger than 631. Even though 725 is heat treated and is not air hardening, Reynolds states it is suitable for use in TIG welded frames.

-Stan
    my bikes

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy99CL View Post
    I've read elsewhere that the same was true of 853, but even worse- sometimes only one of the three main tubes was 853, the others were 631 (or something else altogether). You had to read the sticker and see if it said "853 tube" or "853 tubes". Don't know if similar things are going on in the 725 world but stranger things have happened before.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2013
    My attempt at a modern retro. Hopefully the rain will stop tomorrow for a ride. Will change to road pedals soon.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails modern/retro-photo.jpg  

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    Big +1 on the Soma Smoothie. Really like "2Bills" build there. I've got about 2000 miles on one and am still very happy with it. It works very well with the new[er] integrated spindle cranksets that have the outboard ball bearing races. Currently toying with idea of grinding some gravel with it...

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2013
    I have been on two short ride only totally 30 miles but absolutely love the ride. Smooth is the new fast... Loving the 1x10 set up too. Perfect for our flat roads. I have a 2010-11 cdale synapse carbon and can certainly tell the even smoother and livelier ride.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Retro usually means lugged steel frame, there were some fillet brazed, but lug's was by far the predominate way of making a steel frame bike.

There are quite a few lug frame manufactures still around and will always be around. It all depends on how much you want to spend. On the low end there is Velo Orange and Soma, but Soma has been reportedly to have flexy frames; Rivendell has some good choices as does Shamrock Cycles and many other custom builders.

Or you can scour Craigslist and E-bay till you find a nice used one.

And yes 631 is about 10% stronger then 531, but air hardened while being stronger is also stiffer and doesn't absorb impacts quite as well as the older 531. If you want a smooth riding frame probably the 525 is the closest to 531 not the 631, but if my choice was 631 or 725 I too would probably take 631, in fact I did when I had my Mercian built because the fine people at Mercian recommended over the 725 for touring. If you got the big bucks then get a 953.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xk98yvozq1g
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvk63...eature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=p92Stnnigjs
    "They don't do things that way anymore. This is the Age of Science Know-How, electronal marvels."