Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    4,237

    Mondonico impulse purchase

    I have a real issue with bikes and impulse purchases. I have 5 road bikes, 4 of which are based on frames I bought on a whim on eBay.

    I've always lusted after a Mondonico. I saw this frame on ebay and it was my size and appears in great shape. I put in a "make offer" for $410 and got it. Of course, it will be built up with Campy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mondonico impulse purchase-s-l1601.jpg  

  2. #2
    hfc
    hfc is offline
    Doesn't like subtitles
    Reputation: hfc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    3,127
    There are a lot of worse impulses than that one! Nice frame, decent price. What kind of tubing?

    I am no stranger to the impulse buy myself.

  3. #3
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    4,237
    Quote Originally Posted by hfc View Post
    There are a lot of worse impulses than that one! Nice frame, decent price. What kind of tubing?

    I am no stranger to the impulse buy myself.
    The Columbus sticker says Nemo tubing. I'd like to build it up with retro polished aluminum components. I think Campy Potenza and Ritchey classic Bars/stem are the only options left

  4. #4
    pmf
    pmf is offline
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    4,248
    Polished Athena has the more classic look -- if you can find it. Potenza has the star wars cranks. looks like Potenza is going to replace Athena in their line up.

  5. #5
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    4,237
    Quote Originally Posted by pmf View Post
    Polished Athena has the more classic look -- if you can find it. Potenza has the star wars cranks. looks like Potenza is going to replace Athena in their line up.
    I have polished Athena on my Colnago. It seems like there are a few silver Athena groups available but they are more expensive than Potenza

  6. #6
    pmf
    pmf is offline
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    4,248
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
    I have polished Athena on my Colnago. It seems like there are a few silver Athena groups available but they are more expensive than Potenza
    Athena is a rung below Potenza -- I think it must be generating the price premium because it's scarce and soon to be non-existent. I bought an Athena group the first year they reintroduced it (2011?) to put on an Eddy Merckx Corsa 01 frame I'd purchased on impulse. It had Ultrashift (you can shift up or down multiple gears). The next year they down graded it to Powershift (one shift, one gear -- like Shimano). I bought another Athena group two years later, but upgraded the shifters to Chorus to get the Ultrashift.

    Campy should keep selling a polished version of Athena. I think there's a market for it.

  7. #7
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    4,237
    Quote Originally Posted by pmf View Post
    Athena is a rung below Potenza -- I think it must be generating the price premium because it's scarce and soon to be non-existent. I bought an Athena group the first year they reintroduced it (2011?) to put on an Eddy Merckx Corsa 01 frame I'd purchased on impulse. It had Ultrashift (you can shift up or down multiple gears). The next year they down graded it to Powershift (one shift, one gear -- like Shimano). I bought another Athena group two years later, but upgraded the shifters to Chorus to get the Ultrashift.

    Campy should keep selling a polished version of Athena. I think there's a market for it.
    I compared photos of the 2 side by side by and I agree with you that the silver Potenza looks a lot more "industrial".

  8. #8
    pmf
    pmf is offline
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    4,248
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
    I compared photos of the 2 side by side by and I agree with you that the silver Potenza looks a lot more "industrial".
    I think Potenza is trying to compete with Shimano Ultegra.

    Colnago put Athena on stock pictures of their arabesque frame and it looks awesome

    https://glorycycles.com/colnago-arab...el-frame-2016/

  9. #9
    hfc
    hfc is offline
    Doesn't like subtitles
    Reputation: hfc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    3,127
    I have 8 speed Record and Chorus on a couple of bikes and it is very good. Any higher end silver Campy group 8 thru 11 would sing with that bike. Kudos for wanting to stay in the spirit of the bike. Nemo tubing , I hear, is good.

  10. #10
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    4,237
    Quote Originally Posted by hfc View Post
    I have 8 speed Record and Chorus on a couple of bikes and it is very good. Any higher end silver Campy group 8 thru 11 would sing with that bike. Kudos for wanting to stay in the spirit of the bike. Nemo tubing , I hear, is good.
    I don't think Campy makes a silver group in anything other that Potenza at this point. If there was a silver Chorus group, I'd get it

  11. #11
    hfc
    hfc is offline
    Doesn't like subtitles
    Reputation: hfc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    3,127
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
    I don't think Campy makes a silver group in anything other that Potenza at this point. If there was a silver Chorus group, I'd get it
    My thoughts were you could pick up a used group if you weren't committed to 11 speed.

  12. #12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: David Loving's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,983
    The Mondonico is really fine. I have alloy 10 speed Chorus on a bike. Function is great. I like the look. I had to go with a Stronglite 34/50 crankset; couldn't find a square taper alloy.Mondonico impulse purchase-gios27152017.jpgMondonico impulse purchase-gios17152017.jpg
    Last edited by David Loving; 1 Week Ago at 08:19 PM.
    Waxahachie, Texas
    Biciclette Gios

    "Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown."

Similar Threads

  1. My newest impulse purchase
    By RJohn in forum General Cycling Discussion
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 10-07-2014, 08:05 PM
  2. My latest impulse purchase
    By RJohn in forum Colnago
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 07-20-2013, 04:59 AM
  3. Good deal? Impulse fleabay purchase
    By Phish in forum BMC
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-01-2008, 03:04 PM
  4. Can't decide; Isaac Impulse vs. Orbea Opal
    By Rille76 in forum Orbea
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-15-2008, 03:56 AM
  5. My new impulse purchase!
    By santosjep in forum Bikes, Frames and Forks
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-28-2006, 07:01 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •