Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Moots RSL custom at $5,025 or Carl Strong Ti custom?

13K views 46 replies 29 participants last post by  Ramjm_2000 
#1 ·
My question pretty much summed it up.

That RSL sure is pretty, but $5k + 9.75% sales tax is giving me a sticker shock.
Can a comparable custom Ti by Carl Strong be had for less? My max budget for a custom Ti frame is $3K.

Thanks in advance,

#41 ·
This is what Steve Potts has to say about butted tubing. I don't think you will find many people with the experience that he has.

"Great to hear from you ! Thanks for the update on your riding also. On the titanium frames I use Sandvik or Haynes tubing. It is made in the USA. Some sizes are hard to find, such as the thicker head tube material and that is imported and I will get that from Paragon when I can't find my American tubing. Supply can be very difficult. All of the tubing has to be certified to the same standards for use in the USA, and I always get certified tubing only. As far as double butted tubing, I have found that the cost benefit to weight savings is out of balance. The weight savings is just not that great and also the durability of the bike is compromised a bit. I will still build with butted tubing if requested to but the straight guage frames ride so nice already, especially out of the saddle climbing.Whenever you take material away there will be a weight savings and loss of strength or torsional properties. I would love to build yo a new road frame, so let me know if you have any questions. As far as the integrated seat mast, yes they are cool and pretty nice looking, but not practical as far as the life and versatility of a frame. I am about 6 months out still."

I have been riding a mountain bike he built me since may and I have to say it is an incredible bike as I am sure any of the others listed in this thread would be also.

#43 ·
I can't imagine it is possible to go wrong with Strong, Moots, Eriksen, Kish. You may pause and jot down what things you think are important to you beyond the obvious desire for an excellent frame (such as welding versus riveting bosses, type of finish, paint type, whether the builder is enthusiastic for racing versus touring) and then e-mail them and see with whom you strike a cord. When I did this for a lugged steel bike, one thing that was important to me was turnaround time -- at the time Richard Sachs was 5+ years, which took him off the list for that project.

But in addition to finding out what the backlogs were (I wanted something under 12 months as my limit), I found out quickly who responded to e-mails promptly and who was pleasant to deal with. FWIW, the one time In communicated with Carl Strong he answered immediately and was terrific to communicate with. And I have nothing bad to say about anyone on your list.

P.S. It looks like I "joined" in 2008, but I must have forgotten that, hence the 3-post total.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.