Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Moots RSL custom at $5,025 or Carl Strong Ti custom?

13K views 46 replies 29 participants last post by  Ramjm_2000 
#1 ·
My question pretty much summed it up.

That RSL sure is pretty, but $5k + 9.75% sales tax is giving me a sticker shock.
Can a comparable custom Ti by Carl Strong be had for less? My max budget for a custom Ti frame is $3K.

Thanks in advance,

#6 ·
roadbike_moron said:
You're so right!!
I wonder if the Strong can produce a Ti frame similar in specification to that of a RSL.
Strong or any other custom builder can make a frame basically however you want it.

Does your $5k figure for the Moots include the 20% upcharge off of base price for custom?

#8 ·
Marc said:
Strong or any other custom builder can make a frame basically however you want it.

Does your $5k figure for the Moots include the 20% upcharge off of base price for custom?
What's the up charge? I was told the base model is $4,425. Add $600 for custom measurement.

terry b said:
Why don't you pick up the phone and ask him, he's a remarkably friendly guy.
Thanks for the advice. I'll contact him.

#11 ·
I have a Strong and a RSL. Can't go wrong with either. The RSL is built for racing. If you want to compare more apples to apples then you should be looking at the Moots CR or Vamoots to compare to Carl's offering.

Get either...you will be a happy guy!

#18 ·
I don't think Strong weld those water bottle bosses like Moots does, as he rivets them in with some 10cents rivets. I can't understand why would anyone produce a top-notch custom frame without welding in all the assesories. Nonetheless, why limit yourself to only two choices, as there are many good builders out there for your 3K budget. I am a Moots fan but their RSL does not impress me at all. Double butting on titanium is a waste of money, as this material is already very light, and on top of that double butting will make the frame weaker in the mid section, which suspectible to dents and buckles. The BB30 does nothing to improves the structure so it is just a bing factor to have. If they want more stiffness, move the damn cups inside using the BB86 standard. Okay enough said.

#19 ·
Please....Weaker from butting? Please show me a picture of a butted ti frame that buckled in the middle of a tube from anything other than running it into a garage door.

BB30...to each his own. I have two BB30 bikes (including a RSL), I think it stiffens up the BB area quite a bit, but everything is subjective.

As I said before (from a guy with 3 Strongs and 2 Moots), you can't go wrong. If you want the RSL, get it. If you want a superb expierence with a 1 man shop, Carl is fantastic.

#35 ·
That's going to be one sick bike! Can't wait to hear how she rides and see how the color accents work out.
I'm toying with the same Ti with blue bits our stay stealth black.
My build will be with a custom Russian Ti build though. I can't afford a US custom with a baby on the way.

#37 ·
I've got a down payment on a custom Ti road frame from Tritonbikes dot com.
He started out with trials and makes some really beefy bikes. I was originally looking at a 29er hard tail mtb but opted for the road instead. Probably easier to hit the roads than the trail once the baby is here.
I'm also a large/tall Clyde and he's able to build me a stout Ti frame that will be able to handle my weight (280lbs). I'm going with an oversized down tube (44mm) and a 1.5" head tube.

Still debating on what fork and wheels. Looking at Enve 2.0 and a SRAM Force with either blue bits like you or black.
I'm new to road biking (coming from mtbks) and learned early at my weight, if you buy cheap you buy twice. I know I'm taking a bit of a risk with the Russian Ti but from what I've read and talking with Triton I'm confidant I'll get a good solid frame. Check out his website. He's great to work with.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.