Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    There's so many size/color/component combinations with Colnagos that I can see why anyone bike has a poor chance of getting sold at retail price. Plus, the overseas market is so much cheaper for frames and components that there's really no reason not to buy on-line. If I'm going to pay a lot of money for a bike, I'm pretty particular about what paint and parts it comes with. The chance that a bike shop would exactly nail that is close to zero.

The LBS I use has Trek and Specialized with maybe a titanium bike and a Surley steel bike for show. They don't sell bikes I'm interested in. The mechanics there seem to like steel bikes and Campy components -- neither of which is sold in the shop. When I buy a bike frame and components, I take all the stuff in there and have them build it up for me. Over the last 4 years, I've had them build 7 bikes for me and my wife. They do a nice job and it's a way of throwing some money at the place. They're a nice bunch of guys and will tweak something for free for me if I have a problem.

Bike shops exist to make a profit, and that's what sells. Lately, they've had 25 or so electric bikes on the floor. Apparently those sell well. I get buzzed by several everyday on my way to and from work.

Anphaque II
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
    I guess you are lucky, I don't think there is a Jamis dealer in my state. I doubt the average RBRer could waltz into their LBS and ride a steel bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    Dude, I live in the same state as you do!

I just checked the map and there are three in your area:

FIND A RETAILER

Freeride, Mr. Bill's, Wheelies.
    Hey!!

Neighbors!

I have one of my bikes there now .
    America's greatest threat: Congressional liberal Democrats

Crimes Against Humanity: The History of The Democrat Party

Huge in Japan
    The cassette 11-13-15-17-19-21-23-25-27-30-34...no thank you. It can be changed easy enough so I'm being nit-picky. As long as I'm being nit-picky that's a pretty damned ugly crankset too. Nice bike for the price though.
    Last edited by craiger_ny; 07-26-2017 at 11:05 AM.
    Interwebs bumpersticker goes here

Russian Troll Farmer
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    Point taken. A 61 would be difficult to sell if you didn't like the bike. They would eventually have to sell it on eBay as new/old stock and take a loss.
    Ah, maybe the one single advantage for being tall...that's just about my size, and I can always find good deals on large frames during the winter.
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
    I guess you are lucky, I don't think there is a Jamis dealer in my state. I doubt the average RBRer could waltz into their LBS and ride a steel bike
    False! Am average RBRer, I've waltzed into 5 different bike shops found the following steel steeds:
    Marin Nicasio
    Jamis Quest and others
    Raleigh Record Ace
    Retrospec various models
    RLT Niner 853
    Fairdale bikes
    Surly
    Soma

Maybe its because I don't live in an average cycling city?

I am also not thrilled about the Motobecane brand, my roommate has a Motobecane Century Pro AL frameset and its not a bad riding bike. I thought about getting their Titanium offering in the past, but sanding off the branding. I guess I can get some huffy stickers for anti-theft purposes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    I mean who needs a carbon crank on a steel road bike ?.

For $2000 I'd rather build up a Soma Smoothie that'll take 28mm tires, or the Smoothie ES with 32mm. I'd be able to afford better wheels as well.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2016
    I have 2 carbon bikes so I thought I'd pick up a steel one.
    I ended up getting a 2017 Raleigh Grand Vitesse. 853 steel with a carbon fork and Ultegra drivetrain. https://www.raleighusa.com/grand-vitesse-2076

Paid $1065 on Ebay. It was a floor model that was in like new condition. It looks like it was never ridden.
    I've ridden it 3 times totaling 110 miles. Very nice riding bike. It absorbs the bump/road very similar to my carbon bikes.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Motobecane Gran Premio-raleigh.jpg  

RoadBikeReview Member
    Looks like a great deal to me. I just don't get the Motobecane hate. I've had my titanium version for over 5 years and other than a few initial set up problems, it's been fantastic. It was really the only way I could afford to get a titanium bike - at least a new one.
    2012 Motobecane Le Champion Team Titanium
    2002 Jamis Eclipse
    2000 Specialized Allez Elite

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2010
    As pointed out in many other threads:
    1. If you care at all about brand prestige or what certain other cyclists might think, BD probably isn't for you.
    2. If you don't know what a barrel adjuster does, BD probably isn't for you.
    3. If you frequently find yourself in a bike shop with lots of questions, BD probably isn't for you.
    4. If you don't know exactly what length effective top tube you need and can't interpret a geometry table, BD probably isn't for you.
    5. If you don't understand the entire spec sheet BD lists and understand exactly what you're getting, BD probably isn't for you.
    6. If fake-ass MSRPs and a web design straight out of 1994 bother you, BD probably isn't for you.

If none of the above is true, BD offers solid value.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by smokersteve View Post
    I have 2 carbon bikes so I thought I'd pick up a steel one.
    I ended up getting a 2017 Raleigh Grand Vitesse. 853 steel with a carbon fork and Ultegra drivetrain. https://www.raleighusa.com/grand-vitesse-2076

Paid $1065 on Ebay. It was a floor model that was in like new condition. It looks like it was never ridden.
    I've ridden it 3 times totaling 110 miles. Very nice riding bike. It absorbs the bump/road very similar to my carbon bikes.
    Hey Smoke, I'm looking at getting something similar, and there are not many reviews of this bike online. My main concern is, how big are the tires can you fit?

Was looking at All-City Mr. Pink, but this could be had at less money and better specs.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by CuoreSportivo View Post
    Hey Smoke, I'm looking at getting something similar, and there are not many reviews of this bike online. My main concern is, how big are the tires can you fit?

Was looking at All-City Mr. Pink, but this could be had at less money and better specs.
    I run 32 gatorskins on it

RoadBikeReview Member
    That does not surprise me The Gran Premio with 853 and Ultegra for $2K is legit. They've been doing this for a while though so it's not a new bike. As for the 17 lb. weight claim, let's be real. No company gets their weight claims from the larger frames. They just don't. However, it doesn't seem unrealistic. The mechanic at my LBS has a Fairdale Goodship 52 cm steel frame with Enve fork he bought for around $1,000 and built it with Dura Ace 9000 components, Ritchey cockpit and lightweight carbon wheels and he's at 16 lbs, with pedals. So a steel 17 lb. bike with Ultegra sounds legit. Jamis has fairly light steel bikes too, but their focus is more on their carbon Xenith and alloy Icon models. Jamis doesn't have a steel bike with similar specs as the Raleigh. Their top of the line steel bike is the 105 equipped Quest for $1700. The Raleigh still is in line in terms of specs. Add an Ultegra equipped Quest and I'm sure the price would be over $2K.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12