Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member

Motobecane Gran Premio

Anyone have a thought on this? I realize Bikes Direct is the debbil, but a 17lb steel bike with decent specs for $2K is a good deal, IMNSHO.

Motobecane Gran Premio PRO road bike launched | Road Bike News, Reviews, and Photos
    It's Mueller Time

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mtrac View Post
    Anyone have a thought on this? I realize Bikes Direct is the debbil, but a 17lb steel bike with decent specs for $2K is a good deal, IMNSHO.

Motobecane Gran Premio PRO road bike launched | Road Bike News, Reviews, and Photos
    I think its great that they are offering a nice steel bike at a great price. Nothing wrong with BD as long as you have some wrenching skills and go over the bike carefully

RoadBikeReview Member
    I bought a $400 cromemoly commuter bike from BD for my son three years ago and it's been great. Very reliable wheels and frame and the lower end Shimano stuff (don't recall the exact name of the group, I think it's 8 spd) that came on the bike has been rock solid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Russian Troll Farmer
    Man...nice looking bike, retro-looking, yet modern. Almost interested, except for one thing; that Motobecane sticker. Can you order it without the branding?

First, the vast majority of classic Motobecanes were....just "meh" bikes at best. The name "Motobecane" means "motor scooter", which also decreases it's cachet, and today, it just screams "I bought this bike cheaply on Bikes Direct!!!!" for all to hear.

Frankly, if it was branded "Nashbar", I'd be more likely to buy it....
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    Man...nice looking bike, retro-looking, yet modern. Almost interested, except for one thing; that Motobecane sticker. Can you order it without the branding?

First, the vast majority of classic Motobecanes were....just "meh" bikes at best. The name "Motobecane" means "motor scooter", which also decreases it's cachet, and today, it just screams "I bought this bike cheaply on Bikes Direct!!!!" for all to hear.

Totally again on all points. I do love the look and color of that bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by burgrat View Post
    Totally again on all points. I do love the look and color of that bike.
    I could probably get past the Motobecane logo. It is a nice looking bike and the specs are pretty amazing for $2K. Plus, its a bit unique

RoadBikeReview Member
    Ahhh, you clicked on that RBR ad!

A 17lb. Reynolds 853 bike sounds almost too good to be true. I will just say this. I would want to test ride before I buy any bike I'm going to be spending considerable time and miles on. You can't test ride BD bikes. So what happens when you get your internet bike, put it all together or pay your LBS to put it together and then you don't like the way it rides and feels?

Motobecane is one of those brands like Schwinn and Suntour. Once great brands that dumbed themselves down.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    Ahhh, you clicked on that RBR ad!

A 17lb. Reynolds 853 bike sounds almost too good to be true. I will just say this. I would want to test ride before I buy any bike I'm going to be spending considerable time and miles on. You can't test ride BD bikes. So what happens when you get your internet bike, put it all together or pay your LBS to put it together and then you don't like the way it rides and feels?

Motobecane is one of those brands like Schwinn and Suntour. Once great brands that dumbed themselves down.
    17lbs does seem low. Maybe in a small size without pedals you could get close. Not sure how relevant the test drive comment is. I don't think I could find a shop within a reasonable drive that would have ANY steel road bike to test ride

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
    17lbs does seem low. Maybe in a small size without pedals you could get close. Not sure how relevant the test drive comment is. I don't think I could find a shop within a reasonable drive that would have ANY steel road bike to test ride
    Really? You're right next to Cherry Hill. Looks like a few shops there. None that sell steel bikes?
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

-- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Really? You're right next to Cherry Hill. Looks like a few shops there. None that sell steel bikes?
    Not in stock. What major brand even has a steel bike? When I bought my Colnago Master I had to order it from D&Q. Sadly unless your bike starts with a "T" or a "S" finding anything to test ride is problematic.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Not in stock. What major brand even has a steel bike? When I bought my Colnago Master I had to order it from D&Q. Sadly unless your bike starts with a "T" or a "S" finding anything to test ride is problematic.
    Really? That depends on the shop. Jamis makes steel road and gravel bikes which my shop sells.

-- Warren Buffett

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Really? That depends on the shop. Jamis makes steel road and gravel bikes which my shop sells.
    I guess you are lucky, I don't think there is a Jamis dealer in my state. I doubt the average RBRer could waltz into their LBS and ride a steel bike

RoadBikeReview Member
    I guess you are lucky, I don't think there is a Jamis dealer in my state. I doubt the average RBRer could waltz into their LBS and ride a steel bike
    Dude, I live in the same state as you do!

I just checked the map and there are three in your area:

FIND A RETAILER

Freeride, Mr. Bill's, Wheelies.

-- Warren Buffett

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2011
    Motobecane screams Fred. Buy yourself a Bianchi Vigorelli for 1,750

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post

"Nashbar?" Nah.

"Motobecane" rolls off the tongue so smoothly, monsieur!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredrico View Post
    "Nashbar?" Nah.

"Motobecane" rolls off the tongue so smoothly, monsieur!
    What about Scattante from Performance Bike? Sounds like it's Italian for poop.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Turned into an interesting thread. Some comments:

I live in northern NJ and wouldn't know where to get a steel bike except on line, which is where I got my current one. The stores mostly carry the big three, with the ones in fancier ZIPs adding some fancier brands. If you do find one it's probably going to be a Surly.

I got my GT from Bike Island, BD's scratch-and-dent division. It was one-quarter the price of the Motobecane, came in a box with stray parts rattling around (and was likely previously returned based on the paperwork), and I got zero support from the vendor.

"Motobecane" is a definite turnoff. I'm not normally a brand snob, but the association with BD tarnishes the bike. My LBS is good about servicing any bike; however, I've been to shops where they know you bought on line and don't go out of their way to make the experience pleasant. Same with their customers.

Going to ponder this some more. Short story is I really don't need another road bike and the logistics of N+1 make this difficult.
    It's Mueller Time

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtrac View Post
    Turned into an interesting thread. Some comments:

I live in northern NJ and wouldn't know where to get a steel bike except on line, which is where I got my current one. The stores mostly carry the big three, with the ones in fancier ZIPs adding some fancier brands. If you do find one it's probably going to be a Surly.

I got my GT from Bike Island, BD's scratch-and-dent division. It was one-quarter the price of the Motobecane, came in a box with stray parts rattling around (and was likely previously returned based on the paperwork), and I got zero support from the vendor.

"Motobecane" is a definite turnoff. I'm not normally a brand snob, but the association with BD tarnishes the bike. My LBS is good about servicing any bike; however, I've been to shops where they know you bought on line and don't go out of their way to make the experience pleasant. Same with their customers.

Going to ponder this some more. Short story is I really don't need another road bike and the logistics of N+1 make this difficult.
    Did you read my post #13? Jamis has a whole line of steel road as well as gravel bikes. Plenty of places to buy these.

-- Warren Buffett

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Did you read my post #13? Jamis has a whole line of steel road as well as gravel bikes. Plenty of places to buy these.
    The question would be do they have any in the shop or just to order? I cant remember the last time I saw a steel bike for sale in a shop. The exception would be Wheelfine imports in Lambertville which has so many obscure steel frames it makes your head spin. I think that the addition of any new steel bikes into the market, even if its BD, is a good thing. If folks are fine buying their stealth-gray, soulless plastic bike from the Trek or Specialized store that is fine too

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Couple of thoughts ...

Yeah, Motobecane screams BD, but no worse in my eyes than Jamis or Surley. I owned a real Motobcane Super Mirage years ago. It wasn't a bad bike for a college kid.

How much money does BD save by substituting crappy FSA cranks for Ultegra cranks? At least the brakes are Shimano and not Tektro.

Those LeMond 853 bikes were really nice. It's good to see someone is making an 853 bike. For $2k, that's a good deal. Too bad it's compact geometry. Steel bikes should have traditional geometry. I bet he sells out in a month.

I live in an urban area (DC) and it's pretty hard to find shops with anything but the big 3 and Cervelo readily available to test ride. I can't remember the last time I test rode a bike before buying it. Except for fit, you don't really get a sense of how a bike rides (and to some extent fits) until you ride it for a while. I know what fits me and have bought my last four bikes as frames and separate components and had the LBS build them up for me. They do a nice job and I can give them some business.

A friend of mine bought a Kestrel from BD last year. I helped him put it together. It was pretty easy. Put on wheels, brakes, front derailer, and straighten out the stem/bar and tighten it. we couldn't get the front derailer 100% so he took it to the LBS. I think they charged him $50. So the bike was a pretty good deal. Not my cup of soup, but he likes it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    The question would be do they have any in the shop or just to order? I cant remember the last time I saw a steel bike for sale in a shop.
    Not a whole lot since steel isn't that big a section of the market, but they do carry a few. If you are an odd size, you might be out of luck. In my case, I know the people at my shop well and am also a middle-of-the-road size 56. I just ask them to call me when they get the bike in so I can test ride. They know a 56 is fairly easy to sell in case I don't like the bike. That hasn't happened yet. So far, they're 2 for 2 with me.

-- Warren Buffett

RoadBikeReview Member
    The question would be do they have any in the shop or just to order? I cant remember the last time I saw a steel bike for sale in a shop.
    That's the point. Most shops don't bother with niche parts of a mfr's product line, of which steel is definitely one.
    It's Mueller Time

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Not a whole lot since steel isn't that big a section of the market, but they do carry a few. If you are an odd size, you might be out of luck. In my case, I know the people at my shop well and am also a middle-of-the-road size 56. I just ask them to call me when they get the bike in so I can test ride. They know a 56 is fairly easy to sell in case I don't like the bike. That hasn't happened yet. So far, they're 2 for 2 with me.
    Yea, I guess the odds are better if you are a 56 or 54. I ride a 61 so unless they are willing to bring one in and build it up, its not going to happen. Most of my bikes are frames I bought on-line and built up myself. I've mostly given up on the bike shop approach. I can understand it from their side though. They pay for the bikes upfront and if they dont sell they take a loss.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Yea, I guess the odds are better if you are a 56 or 54. I ride a 61 so unless they are willing to bring one in and build it up, its not going to happen. Most of my bikes are frames I bought on-line and built up myself. I've mostly given up on the bike shop approach. I can understand it from their side though. They pay for the bikes upfront and if they dont sell they take a loss.
    Point taken. A 61 would be difficult to sell if you didn't like the bike. They would eventually have to sell it on eBay as new/old stock and take a loss.

-- Warren Buffett

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Point taken. A 61 would be difficult to sell if you didn't like the bike. They would eventually have to sell it on eBay as new/old stock and take a loss.
    I was at the LBS the other day looking for a headset for my Mondonico frame impulse purchase. While I was waiting for them to install it, I was talking with the shop manager. I asked why they no longer have any Colnago’s on the floor as in the past (they are a Colnago dealer). He said he was tired of taking a bath on them at the end of the season. He said still sells a few C60s and Masters every year but he said those folks are particular about size, color and component group and anything that he buys and puts on the floor has a chance of losing money. I get that but at the same time, there is really no benefit to me in buying from him versus an online dealer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast