RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012

Motoecane Immortal Inferno vs. ???

Hello All

I am new to the forum so if I posted this in the wrong area I apologize in advance. I am writing to ask for opinions from all of you regarding the Motobecane Immortal Force from BD. I have read all the forums about the Pro's and Con's of BD so I would prefer to stay out of this area if possible. I would just like to hear everyone's opinion about this bike for the $2500 price. Does anyone own this bike? Or does anyone have other suggestions for this pricepoint? Lastly, I am certainly not a professional so any and all feedback (good, bad, and ugly) will be much appreciated? Thanks so much!

Frame
    2.7 Pound Monocoque High Modulus Carbon Fiber with replaceable derailleur hanger, 2x H2O bosses

Fork
    AeroCarbon SL High Modulus Monocoque Carbon Fiber with Carbon Crown and Alloy Steerer tube, 1.125 inch

Headset
    FSA Orbit C Angular Contact Bearing,Threadless 1.125 inch

Derailleurs
    SRAM RED 10 Speed front and
    SRAM RED rear (20 gears total)

Shifters/Levers
    SRAM RED 10 Speed, Carbon blade (20 Speed total)

Brakes
    SRAM RED cold forged aluminum calipers, SRAM by SwissStop pads

Hubs
    Mavic Ksyrium Elite with QRM Bearings (as shown)
    (Hub QR levers may differ from photos)

Rims
    Mavic Ksyrium Elite (as shown)

Crank/BottomBracket
    SRAM RED 50x34T RED Power Glide AL 7075-T6 chainrings w/ anodized finish / alloy chainring bolts W/ Carbon arms
    (170/172.5/175mm FOR 50-53/56/59-62CM)/ GXP BlackBox External Ceramic Bearing Bottom Bracket

Cassette/Chain
    SRAM PG1070 10 Speed 11-28T
    KMC X10SL 10spd Chain

Saddle
    Ritchey PRO Streem Road Racing

Seatpost
    Ritchey PRO Carbon Fiber 27.2mm x 350mm

Stem
    Ritchey WCS 4 AXIS 84D/6D (C:31.8) ALLOY(2014)
    EXT-6)

Handlebars
    Ritchey ROAD WCS LOGIC II BAR (C:31.8) 7050 ANATOMIC DROP 31.8mm

Pedals
    n/a

Tires Continental UltraRace, 700x23c, Presta valve tubes

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2008
    I had an immortal. Its fine, but nothing special. You can get "a lot" of bike for the money, though. Its basically late 90's early 2000's carbon fiber design with a fairly traditional geometry.

If your looking for a race bike, I would suggest looking else where. If you just want a CF bike with high end components, that's a good deal.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by seppo17 View Post
    I had an immortal. Its fine, but nothing special. You can get "a lot" of bike for the money, though. Its basically late 90's early 2000's carbon fiber design with a fairly traditional geometry.

If your looking for a race bike, I would suggest looking else where. If you just want a CF bike with high end components, that's a good deal.
    Seppo

Thanks for your response. I would be using this bike for clubs rides and weekly road riding (~200 miles/week). Do you happen to have any specific suggestions that you think are more appropriate for my application? Thanks again!

RoadBikeReview Member
    I replaced an alloy Le Champion SL frame with Immortal carbon fiber frame. The bike has SRAM Apex (11-32) and Ksyrium Equipe wheelset. It is comparable to an Immortal Heat from BD.

It rides so much smoother than the aluminum LeChampSL frame. The Immortal is my general purpose goto bike used for lunch rides and casual social group rides. Handling and comfort are good. It does everything well.
    In terms of performance such as speed and handling, the Immortal is no match for my Cannondale System Six. As mentioned before, it's not a race bike.

The frame design is a bit dated but still functional. Newer frame designs use a tapered head tube, tapered fork stube, larger bottom brackets that will enhance power transfer and handling.

In my opinion, the Inferno gives you a decent frame with excellent wheels and awesome SRAM Red group set for an untouchable price. You can always get a better frame later.

If it's your first road bike, consider the Immortal Heat. Use the savings for a tire upgrade. If you want a slightly more performance oriented bike, the Kestrel Evoke SL is not a bad choice either.
    -------- __@
    ----- _`\<,J
    ---- (O)/ (O)
    Cannondale SystemSix, SRAM Rival/Force
    Cinelli Aliante - Campagnolo Veloce
    Motobecane Immortal - SRAM Apex
    Kestrel Evoke SL - SRAM Rival (RIP)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by fun2none View Post
    I replaced an alloy Le Champion SL frame with Immortal carbon fiber frame. The bike has SRAM Apex (11-32) and Ksyrium Equipe wheelset. It is comparable to an Immortal Heat from BD.

It rides so much smoother than the aluminum LeChampSL frame. The Immortal is my general purpose goto bike used for lunch rides and casual social group rides. Handling and comfort are good. It does everything well.
    In terms of performance such as speed and handling, the Immortal is no match for my Cannondale System Six. As mentioned before, it's not a race bike.

The frame design is a bit dated but still functional. Newer frame designs use a tapered head tube, tapered fork stube, larger bottom brackets that will enhance power transfer and handling.

In my opinion, the Inferno gives you a decent frame with excellent wheels and awesome SRAM Red group set for an untouchable price. You can always get a better frame later.

If it's your first road bike, consider the Immortal Heat. Use the savings for a tire upgrade. If you want a slightly more performance oriented bike, the Kestrel Evoke SL is not a bad choice either.
    Fun2none

Thanks so much for your feedback. I will look into the Kestrel bike before I make a final decision. This is all great information and I am very appreciative.

Mike

Big is relative
    November Bikes. Comparable in price, much better frame.
    Retired sailor

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apparently I haven't posted enough to respond to your private message so I'll respond here. I've had my Immortal Inferno for about 16 months. This is just my second decent road bike. It replaced my aluminum Trek Lemond Reno. I have not had the first problem with it. Only things I've replaced are the tires and seat. I have nothing negative to say about the bike. I don't have enough experience with different road bikes to say what is better or worse then other models, but I'm happy with it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012
    Brueg, Thanks for your feedback. I appreciate it!

BigBill, thanks I will take a look at the November Bikes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    you'd be getting a good component group hanging off a not-so-great frameset. It's an old design, heavy, and has an alloy steerer, which also adds weight. Colorado Cyclist has a fuji altamiri with dura-ace for about the same price, but limited sizes. Competitive Cyclist and their related stores (backcounty, departmentofgoods) often have excellent sales and come with the benefit of an excellent return policy (BD doesn't warranty their carbon frames).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012
    stevesbike

Thanks for the feedback. I have been looking a lot at Competitve Cyclist and have taken an interest in the BMC RACE MACHINE RM01 although i know very little about BMC bikes. If you have any knowledge I would be very appreciative. Lastly, I have been looking at the Sette Forza Elite with DA and Cosmic Carbone wheels from pricepoint.com. It looks sweet but reviews are scarce.

Sette Forza Elite Dura-Ace Carbon Road Bike at Price Point

Thanks so much to everyone for all your time and knowledge with bikes and what's available out there.

Mike

RoadBikeReview Member
    BMC is definitely the leader among the frames you've mentioned so far - they make very good frames - generally, a well balanced frame among stiffness, handling, and comfort (good for long rides, etc.)

The Sette looks like the best deal in terms of value among the choices you've mentioned. Frame much better than the BD. nice wheels too if you're looking for a deeper wheelset (the alloy brake track is a big plus).

Colorado cyclist also has a good price on 2012 Kestrels.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by stevesbike View Post
    BMC is definitely the leader among the frames you've mentioned so far - they make very good frames - generally, a well balanced frame among stiffness, handling, and comfort (good for long rides, etc.)

The Sette looks like the best deal in terms of value among the choices you've mentioned. Frame much better than the BD. nice wheels too if you're looking for a deeper wheelset (the alloy brake track is a big plus).

Colorado cyclist also has a good price on 2012 Kestrels.
    Thanks Steve, I will check out the Kestrels although I've read they're relatively heavy but that could just be opinion. I actually have the Sette CX-1 Cross bike for gravel and off road rides and I really like the bike/frame. I was just trying to stay out of the $3000 range for my road bike upgrade but the Sette Forza seems to be very enticing.