RoadBikeReview Member

Mountain riding for 450 $?

Hi guys!!! i'm a freshman in mountain riding. Looking for not expansive bike for up to 450 bucks / brand new.
    Got som info that Diamondback overdrive 29er is a really good option for the first mountain bike. Specs you can check here Top Mountain Bikes, Helmets and Clothing Review | Best Adviser

If you have suggestions from your own experience, I would really appreciate it
    Last edited by JamesColonel; 3 Weeks Ago at 10:38 PM.

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesColonel View Post
    Hi guys!!! i'm a freshman in mountain riding. Looking for not expansive bike for up to 450 bucks / brand new.
    Got som info that Diamondback overdrive 29er is a really good option for the first mountain bike. Specs you can check here Top Mountain Bikes, Helmets and Clothing Review | Best Adviser

You do realize you're posting this in ROAD BIKE review, right? You'd probably get a lot more information over on MOUNTAIN BIKE review.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2016

Hey! Welcome to the sport. We would love to have you on mountain bike review, that's where I got started when I was a sophomore.

Just a heads up, any bike you purchase online should be assembled by your local bike shop because they all need a tune up out of the box. They're shipped partially assembled and cables stretch and wheels come out of true during shipping, so factor in another $80-100 for professional assembly. It's expensive but I guarantee you won't regret it.

You should also go to your local bike shop and see what they have that's in your price range. When you factor in the price of professional assembly and consider that you often get a free tune-up and maybe a lifetime service discount depending on the shop it actually might be cheaper to buy from an actual store than online. Plus, you are going to get the right size bike for you, which is hugely important. I cannot stress this enough.

If this all sounds expensive, that's because it is. I got the same exact advice when I posted a similar question six years ago and decided not to follow it. It actually cost me more because I ended up selling a bike that didn't fit and buying one that did. Don't get cheap and make the same mistake that I did.

Quote Originally Posted by Honda Guy View Post
    Hey! Welcome to the sport. We would love to have you on mountain bike review, that's where I got started when I was a sophomore.

Just a heads up, any bike you purchase online should be assembled by your local bike shop because they all need a tune up out of the box. They're shipped partially assembled and cables stretch and wheels come out of true during shipping, so factor in another $80-100 for professional assembly. It's expensive but I guarantee you won't regret it.

You should also go to your local bike shop and see what they have that's in your price range. When you factor in the price of professional assembly and consider that you often get a free tune-up and maybe a lifetime service discount depending on the shop it actually might be cheaper to buy from an actual store than online. Plus, you are going to get the right size bike for you, which is hugely important. I cannot stress this enough.

If this all sounds expensive, that's because it is. I got the same exact advice when I posted a similar question six years ago and decided not to follow it. It actually cost me more because I ended up selling a bike that didn't fit and buying one that did. Don't get cheap and make the same mistake that I did.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2016
    I've never assembled a bike from a box that didn't need the wheels trued, shifting, brakes adjusted etc. Sometimes people will come into the shop and ask to have their bike tuned up before it gets shipped and we tell them to have it tuned/assembled by a shop where it's being shipped because it typically needs adjustments after assembly. I'm not an experienced mechanic by any means, so let me know if I'm wrong about something here.

Quote Originally Posted by Honda Guy View Post
    I've never assembled a bike from a box that didn't need the wheels trued, shifting, brakes adjusted etc. Sometimes people will come into the shop and ask to have their bike tuned up before it gets shipped and we tell them to have it tuned/assembled by a shop where it's being shipped because it typically needs adjustments after assembly. I'm not an experienced mechanic by any means, so let me know if I'm wrong about something here.
    You're absolutely right about the bike needing 'work' before it's ready to ride. But...cables don't 'stretch' every much less in the box while being shipped. I might see a wheel that comes out of the box every now and then that needs work, so that is realistic.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Thanks a lot for great advise. You are totally right, better go with better set up)) stingy man pays twice.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Thanks a lot for great advise. You are totally right, better go with better set up)) stingy man pays twice.
    Buy cheap, buy twice.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

RoadBikeReview Member
    try Mountain bike reviews, trails reviews, bike parts and components, buy and sell used bikes, forums, hot deals and more - mtbr.com the sister site to this one

this is a quiet site and the small number of grumpy roadies on here are not much informed about mtn bikes like the thousands on MTBR
    Faith is pretending to know things you don't know

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    When I was buying (or, receiving as a graduation present) my MTB, one bit of advice proved invaluable: get yer butt onto as many bikes as possible, find out what you love at any price point, and then buy the bike that best fits your budget that feels the most like the bike you loved. Straight up, $450 isn't an enormous budget, but most bike shops should be able to accommodate and help you out immensely.
    I lost my phone number. Can I have yours?