Thread: My 8avio

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2006

My 8avio

Full Build is as follows:

Bottecchia 8avio frameset (Italian Bottecchia, http://www.bottecchia.com/default_en.asp)
    07 Campag Chorus Groupset
    Ritchey WCS bars and stem (WCS carbon post to follow)
    Tune Mag 45 front hub, Sapim CX-Ray spokes, DT Swiss RR 1.1 rim
    Tune Mag 190 rear hub, Sapim CX-Ray spokes, DT Swiss rr 1.1 rim
    Scwalbe Ultremo tyres
    Enigma titamium QR's
    Cateye 100w computer
    Cinelli RAM bottle cage

I'm really pleased with how she looks and over the moon with the ride! Stiff yet compliant. What really impressed me was the attention to which she was built by Paul Hewitt. He also built the wheels and they are things of true beauty but not only that, they are within 1/1000th of an inch in tolerance! I couldnt believe it when I saw it on the jig. He was there until 7.30pm building her. Many shops would have told me to come back but he just kept the shop open for me. If you want excellent CS and most importantly, the bike to "fit" you then give him a bell. He'll put you on a sizing-jig and get your riding position spot on. I did 36 miles today and for the first time in a while my knee didnt hurt. I can't wait to do some really long rides on it.

This may sound like an advert for Paul but I just can't believe there are still shops like this around. After years of dealing with un-helpfull and ill-informed shop staff this was a breath of fresh air.

Hope you all like her, I'll get a weight when I get some accurate scales.

Thanks.

Incredibly slow
    Feb 2005
    Don't worry about sounding like an advertisement, most of us won't be in England anytime soon. Besides, good work should be acknowledged. Nice bike, frame reminds me of an Orbea Orca.

Resident Curmudgeon
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by bwana
    Nice bike, frame reminds me of an Orbea Orca.
    I was just going to say the same thing.
    Before you criticize someone walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them you'll be a mile away & you'll have their shoes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2006
    Thanks.

I think it looks more like a Wilier Cento, which is what I wanted but this was well under half the price of the cento.

The Wanderer
    You don't see too many Bottecchia frames out and about (even here in Italy). Last years under 26 Giro winner (Dario Cataldo/now with Liquigas) won on a Bottecchia and gave the company some well deserved publicity. His old team decided to stick with Bottecchia and is racing the 8AVIO this year http://www.monsummanese-ciclismo.it/OLTRE%2050%20ANNI%20DI%20ATTIVITA'.htm Sweet ride...good choice!
    And the eighth and final rule: if this is your first time at Bike Club, you have to race.