RoadBikeReview Member

My Carbon Guru Geneo

I have owned this bike for about 8 mnths or so.

I bought the frame after my custom steel Chas Roberts died in an accident and I couldn't wait 6 mnths for another so nabbed this frame. Shame as it'd only just been resprayed.

The kit is a mix of 2/3/4 yr old Campagnolo Record. Training wheels are 32/32 Chorus hubs laced to CXP33's. The steerer needs taking down about 1.5-2cm but been too lazy to get it sorted as I ride a heap of other bikes too (I prefer retro steel - see my latest over on the retro forum).

Last November I rode this in a 160km (100m) sportif event and did it in 4.31 and found the bike really comfortable. Not bad for an old gimmer!!! No stunning ride qualities one way or t'other. It's set up like most of my other bikes and rides like them - well!!!

It's a lovely metallic silver, burnt orange and black. Tyres don't go, but hey. Not sure what it weighs, maybe 17lbs. Frame isn't light I recall it being in the region of c1100g and the fork about 350g. Bicycling gave it a good write up (not why I bought it).

I've tried to show the rather different tube profiles.

Hope you like.

DannyBoy.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My Carbon Guru Geneo-guru13.jpg   My Carbon Guru Geneo-guru-007.jpg   My Carbon Guru Geneo-guru-012.jpg   My Carbon Guru Geneo-guru-011.jpg   My Carbon Guru Geneo-guru-008.jpg  

My Carbon Guru Geneo-guru-009.jpg   My Carbon Guru Geneo-guru-010.jpg   My Carbon Guru Geneo-guru-003.jpg  

Embrace your inner Fred
    Great looking bike man. Love it. Just get some black tires

Home Brew User!
    Jul 2004
    There was one just like that in one of our LBS for a while. Your pics don't do it justice.

Great Bike
    Joined the other team in the name of the economy

RoadBikeReview Member

I will once these have worn out.

Quote Originally Posted by Snakebitten
    get some black tires
    The tyres were colour coded to match another bike I have - can't bring myself to change 'em till their worn out!

Glad you like it. Looks way better in the flesh.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    looks pretty sweet. Reminds me of a modern version of Kestrel. I too replace tires only when they wear out. Matching isn't a big priority.
    enjoy.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2002
    Not really my style, but if you enjoy it, that's all that matters. Hope you have many happy miles.

Lost in the Black Hills
    awesome!

i have been drooling over geneo's for a couple yrs now. i will most likely be getting one.

you don't think it is anything great? do you think it would be much better than an ibis silk? or just the fact that it is custom built will make it better than a silk?

i am pretty short. about 5'4" with 30 inseam and always thought i would especially benefit from a custom frame....maybe more so than others.

mx

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    Nice looking rig... rare enough you won't see one on every group ride. You wouldn't want to slip off your pedals and land on that top tube! yikes!

RoadBikeReview Member

No no, don't get me wrong...........

Quote Originally Posted by mx_599

you don't think it is anything great? do you think it would be much better than an ibis silk? or just the fact that it is custom built will make it better than a silk?
    No, it's great, it'sjust that retro inspired stuff gets me going more. A few of my other rides below will explain why I don't/didn't get too excited by this.

I think the Ibis is a good bike too, I looked at them and they got good reviews, this won on colour and idividuality.

Also I often think bike reviews that talk about lateral stiffness and vertical compliance etc are a load of bollox. I can't tell most bikes from each other if set up the same - probably a failing on my part, or is fit more important than material!!!!

I guess I was saying it's set up in a similar way to my other steel bikes and as such rides just like 'em - well.

It is a nice bike. It was great to race on, but when I ain't racing I'm on retro steel.

If carbon floats your boat you'll like this...............
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My Carbon Guru Geneo-bike-aug07-011.jpg   My Carbon Guru Geneo-retro-raleigh.jpg   My Carbon Guru Geneo-daniels-bike-009.jpg   My Carbon Guru Geneo-bike-015a.jpg   My Carbon Guru Geneo-gillott1.jpg  

Lost in the Black Hills
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyBoy
    No, it's great, it'sjust that retro inspired stuff gets me going more. A few of my other rides below will explain why I don't/didn't get too excited by this.

I think the Ibis is a good bike too, I looked at them and they got good reviews, this won on colour and idividuality.

Also I often think bike reviews that talk about lateral stiffness and vertical compliance etc are a load of bollox. I can't tell most bikes from each other if set up the same - probably a failing on my part, or is fit more important than material!!!!

:
    i am only about 135lbs. most bikes will be stiff enough for me i would guess. it would seem that the ibis might be able to be built lighter. i wanted a pretty light frame when i build up my nice road bike.

but i am thinking i should have a custom frame because of my height. i wonder if up coming geneo's will be put on a diet...slightly different design? i am probably a good year away from getting one. i am thinking a 2009 model.

with top components i am sure it could be built around 16 lbs. do you think someone of my size should shoot for 15lbs?

thanks

mx

RoadBikeReview Member
    i am only about 135lbs. most bikes will be stiff enough for me i would guess. it would seem that the ibis might be able to be built lighter. i wanted a pretty light frame when i build up my nice road bike.

but i am thinking i should have a custom frame because of my height. i wonder if up coming geneo's will be put on a diet...slightly different design? i am probably a good year away from getting one. i am thinking a 2009 model.

with top components i am sure it could be built around 16 lbs. do you think someone of my size should shoot for 15lbs?

thanks

mx
    Well here's a few things to think about.

Firstly I don't think Guru do a true custom build. I think they have a few standardised options, but I don't think you can have a huge amount of customisation.

Second, you're right about the Ibis, I looked and thought about it for the same reasons. I really only bought the Geneo because it looked nice to me, most other carbon is a bit dull in my opinion. It reminded me of a similarly shaped Look.

If you want a true custom and something that will last I'd really really think long and hard about getting a proper custom built and fitted steel or Ti frame.

And if you don't think a steel bike can be light look at this guys S&S coupled Roberts (I've actually picked this up when it was in Roberts showroom and was flabergasted at how light it was). 12lbs and change. Do take a look at the link;

http://www.sandsmachine.com/a_rob_r5.htm

Just took the Geneo out for a nice 40km lunchtime ride, nice bike. I still prefered my custom steel Roberts that died in a crash and made way for the Geneo.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My Carbon Guru Geneo-12lb-roberts.jpg  

Lost in the Black Hills
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyBoy
    Well here's a few things to think about.

Firstly I don't think Guru do a true custom build. I think they have a few standardised options, but I don't think you can have a huge amount of customisation..
    thanks, i will consider what you say for sure.

however, are you sure the geneo is not custom? i thought that was the whole point. this is the main reason i wanted it. i will be disappointed if it is not like a custom Ti or steel frame.

now i am bummed out. custom measured frame was the whole reason i got excited about the guru geneo

mx

RoadBikeReview Member
    thanks, i will consider what you say for sure.

however, are you sure the geneo is not custom? i thought that was the whole point. this is the main reason i wanted it. i will be disappointed if it is not like a custom Ti or steel frame.

now i am bummed out. custom measured frame was the whole reason i got excited about the guru geneo

mx
    Irace you. Let's both check their website. I haven't looked for ages.

As an aside look at this other post about frame materials, steel fairs quite well (and you ain't goin' to see catastrophic failures like that with steel that often);

Favorite Frame Material?

RoadBikeReview Member

Your right....

mx
    "To fix Jennie's set-up problems we built her a custom Geneo.

Compared to her previous bike we shorted the top tube 2 cm and made the head tube slightly taller"

http://www.gurubikes.com/enCA/fit/

RoadBikeReview Member

Hey I just read all the marketing crap........

...........turns out I bought something flash..................surely having read all that I'll be going faster on tomorrows lunchtime ride! Ha Ha

Lost in the Black Hills
    cool, thanks for checking. that is a great thread link. i need to find time to read it!

mx