Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Uri nara manse.

Thumbs up My new Leader LD-736R frame

My new frame arrived in the mail yesterday. It's a Leader LD-736R frame, and the first impressions are great.

The frame is light (under 3 lbs as Leader said, it was measured on a large weight scale, I don't have anything accurate enough to measure the true weight), the welds are clean and beautiful, the bottom bracket threads need no cleaning or prepping, the headtube is ready for the headset. Basically the frame is ready for assembly. The paint is smooth and seems to be strong, the stickers are all smooth and lined up straight.

I have read good reviews on Leader Bikes and can't wait to build this frame up. the good thing is that now I'll have a bike that fits! I will be building this bike as soon as the new compact crankset and the new clamp-on front derailleur arrives. I like the unique design on this frame, you can tell it's made for Leader bikes only, not like some frame designs that you can see on 10 different brands (Morobecane, Fuji, etc). I can't wait to get this rolling...

I will build the bike with a Shimano 105 drivetrain, Nashbar's compact crankset, FSA RS200 wheels, Sette full carbon fork, Sette handlebar, Truvativ seatpost, Selle Italia Arami Gelaround saddle, and Tacx bottle cages.

For $299 this frame seems to be really nice, and I hope it delivers. It will be the first bike I build from scratch and to my tastes, instead of buying it ready at the store. Like I said, I am full of expectations.

Below are some pics of the frame.

I like the way the seat post clamp is integrated onto the frame, but I hope this design won't give me troubles in the future...

The bottom bracket welds reflect the welds throughout the frame, all nice, clean and smooth.

Notice how the top tube pinches halfway through and then fattens again, it's supposed to make it stiffer. The bottom tube is also not perfectly round shaped, to add strength and solidity.

You bet I will post more pictures once the bike is fully built.
    ____o^o__o^o__o^o____o^o___o^o___________

Visit my shop for cool cycling shirts: the Q factory. More designs to be added later.

Check out my blog

“Don’t hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep.” - Theodore Roosevelt

The Gimlet Eye
    Looks great!

I've been looking at the Leader frames for a while now, Just don't have the opportuntity to use one.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2004
    damn nice !

Uri nara manse.
    Quote Originally Posted by whitebassbenny
    damn nice !
    Thanks, I couldn't agree more. I did some work today, removing everything from the old bike and started transfering them to the Leader 736R. When I had both frames bare I lifted both and there is a sizeable difference in weight. I must be shedding at least one pound by buying the Leader frame. Nice. Tomorrow I will clean all the parts (no sense in putting dirty parts on a new frame), seat the headset bearing race onto the fork and continue getting this biek together.

Work in progress: there is one bike but two frames on this picture. The lack of a repair stand really sucks. I ordered one in the mail but it hasn't arrived yet...

The two frames side by side, the yellow Icon RCT 5.5 and the black Leader LD-736R. Even though the frames are upside down you can tell how much more aggressive the Leader geometry is.

At the end of the night I cleaned up the work area and put everythign away. I couldn't resist putting the saddle and post, both wheels and fork to see how the bike will look: Nice!

Visit my shop for cool cycling shirts: the Q factory. More designs to be added later.

Check out my blog

“Don’t hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep.” - Theodore Roosevelt

The Gimlet Eye
    Looking good!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

Perhaps Anodized finish?

As thin as the coating seems on the frame, it may well be anodized instead of painted. My wife's Giant TCR Aluminum frame is anodized and looks the same. Anodizing is a much more durable finish than paint. Congrats on a nice frame.

Cycling Boob
    whoa. thats a nice frame.t he matte finish does really look subtle but classy in my opinion. nice frame

RoadBikeReview Member
    carioca you got great bike! BE VERY VERY CAREFUL on tightening that integrated seat bolt clamp though....i had a taiwan made bike before MOB (men on Bike brand) with the same integrated seatclamp set up...i over torqued it and cracked the seat tube below the clamp...BEFORE I FINISHED assembling my own bike...OUCH! that was a nightmare..the frame was junked.

Uri nara manse.
    Quote Originally Posted by bisekleta_guy
    carioca you got great bike! BE VERY VERY CAREFUL on tightening that integrated seat bolt clamp though....i had a taiwan made bike before MOB (men on Bike brand) with the same integrated seatclamp set up...i over torqued it and cracked the seat tube below the clamp...BEFORE I FINISHED assembling my own bike...OUCH! that was a nightmare..the frame was junked.
    Oh yeah, I know, that was one of the things that I put as negative for this frame on my review here at RBR. The bike isn't completely assembled yet, so I am going to contact the guys at Leader, ask for the correct tightening torque and apply that with a torque wrench. Can't go wrong like that, I hope. In case I do break it with the recommended torque, then Leader shoudl replace it under warranty, since I will have used their recommended torque...

Check out my blog

Arrogant roadie.....
    Looks good-let us know how rigid it turns out to be-I'm considering a 60cm version, myself.

BTW, is there any way to remove those butt-ugly decals?
    We are the 801
    We are the central shaft

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave_Stohler
    BTW, is there any way to remove those butt-ugly decals?
    If my assumption is correct about the finish being anodized then the decals are on the surface and should be able to be peeled off with not too much work. Softening them with a hairdryer would be a good place to start.

Uri nara manse.
    I don't agree that the decals are butt ugly, but aesthetics are a mattrer of personal taste... but anyway, the decals seem to be covered in semi-gloss clear coat, and if you run your nails over their edges you will barely feel a bump if at all. Removing the decals would probably be a pij in the ass as you'd most likely have to strip the frame to bare metal. I like the semi-gloss paint and I think the decals are quite nice, but, like I said, that's a matter of personal taste.

Check out my blog

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2004

Pictures don't do it justice...

I just saw the LD35 TT (Time Trial Version) today. That bike is sweet in real life! Graphics looked good too.

Uri nara manse.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Master Cylinder
    I just saw the LD35 TT (Time Trial Version) today. That bike is sweet in real life! Graphics looked good too.
    Nice frame too...

Check out my blog

RoadBikeReview Member
    i suppose the Leader engineers saw a solution to the tight rear triangle....track style rear wheel mounts with derailleur hangers! My Colnago C35 was so tight you gotta deflate the tyres to remove them rear wheels! ouch again...am gonna lose races that way if i get a punctured tire...because ill have to install deflated tyres ...then inflate the rubbers!

Arrogant roadie.....
    Klein tried this several years ago, and people still b!tch about how ward it is to get the wheel off.
    We are the 801
    We are the central shaft

Uri nara manse.
    Quote Originally Posted by bisekleta_guy
    i suppose the Leader engineers saw a solution to the tight rear triangle....track style rear wheel mounts with derailleur hangers! My Colnago C35 was so tight you gotta deflate the tyres to remove them rear wheels! ouch again...am gonna lose races that way if i get a punctured tire...because ill have to install deflated tyres ...then inflate the rubbers!
    I've seen this same style staright dropouts with derailleur hnagers on a few bikes (can't remember names) but it's an ingenious idea to the problem of having the tires so close to the seat tube... at least you don't have to deflate the tires... ;)

Check out my blog

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2005
    Any update on the 736R? How does it ride? How does it compare in stiffness and ride to others?

Uri nara manse.

UPDATE! Bike is rolling finally!

After two and a half months I finally got the Leader 736R complete, and now it's rolling. The bike is with me in Virginia while I attend a US Army class, and thanks to the mechanic abilities of the head mechanic at the Newport News Bike Beat the bottom bracket and shell were salvaged after I seized the BB in the shell back in Korea. I brought the bike in the airplane with me and surrendered it to the shop, and finally it's completed.

It is truly different from my previous bike. The bike I had before was an Icon RCT 5.5 (a Korean brand bike) with full Shimano Sora drivetrain. The frame was some unknown aluminum alloy, actually quite heavy compared with the Leader. The only parts off the Icon that went into the Leader were the Sette full carbon fork, the FSA RS200 wheels and the IRC Redstorm Classic tires. The rest is new.

The bike is much more comfortable than the icon, so much more comfortable that I had to check the tire pressure to make sure I didn't need to add more air. Nope, the Leader is more comfortable than the Icon while using the same pressures. I haven't pushed the bike yet, and I rode only 40 miles so far but I have enjoyed it. The 105 drivetrain shifts much more precise than the Sora, even with the old school Shimano 600 rear derailleur on the bike. I am getting used to the 105 shifters after using Sora for over a year... not quite used to it yet. This Sunday I plan on riding a few more miles, probably visit the Yorktown battlefields and push the bike a little more. I'll keep you guys posted after that.

Specifications:
    Leader LD-736R frame
    Sette full carbon fork
    Cane Creek IS-6 headset
    Sette Avanti 7075 handlebar
    ITM Forged Lite Luxe stem
    Bontrager race aluminum seat post
    Vetta SP Vanadium saddle
    SNG Carbon Look brakes front and rear
    Nashbar Compact crank
    Crank Brothers Candy pedals
    Shimano 105 shifters and brake levers front and rear
    Shimano 105 front derailleur
    Shimano 600 rear derailleur with Dura Ace pulleys
    SRAM 9-speed cassette, 11-23
    IRC Redstorm Classic Kevlar tires, 700x23
    Performance lightweight tubes
    TACX Tao bottle cages (I use two Taos during the summer, but replace one with a wire cage for my headlight battery when it gets dark early)
    unknown brand black/white marble handlebar tape
    Sigma BC16 computer (have cadence kit but not installed yet)

Here are some pictures of the finished bike:

Last edited by carioca; 10-28-2005 at 03:38 PM.

Check out my blog

The Gimlet Eye
    Sharp as a tack!

It turned out really well, you should be proud.

Uri nara manse.
    Yeah, I went with a black theme on the bike and it came out really nice. I think one detail that stands out is the lack ofthe red stickers on the FSA wheelset. The original stickers had rubbed on brake pads before and were a bit burned in the edges, so they had to go anyway. I kept the small www.fullspeedahead.com stickers, two per wheel side, so even now you can see it's a FSA wheelset. The saddle was a nice touch too, it's comfortable, weighs 198 grams and cost me less than $20 on eBay... I think the last two things I should do to the bike is add a Shimano 105 black rear derailleur, and front and rear brakes; maybe even replacing the pedals. Overall I am proud of the bike, it does look sharp.
    Last edited by carioca; 10-28-2005 at 09:32 PM.

Check out my blog

pinoy thunder
    Quote Originally Posted by carioca
    Yeah, I went with a black theme on the bike and it came out really nice. I think one detail that stands out is the lack ofthe red stickers on the FSA wheelset. The original stickers had rubbed on brake pads before and were a bit burned in the edges, so they had to go anyway. I kept the small www.fullspeedahead.com stickers, two per wheel side, so even now you can see it's a FSA wheelset. The saddle was a nice touch too, it's comfortable, weighs 198 pounds and cost me less than $20 on eBay... I think the last two things I should do to the bike is add a Shimano 105 black rear derailleur, and front and rear brakes; maybe even replacing the pedals. Overall I am proud of the bike, it does look sharp.

That is one heavy seat! ;)
    Mi piace la mia pasta al dente..

Uri nara manse.
    Quote Originally Posted by stihl
    That is one heavy seat! ;)
    Oooooops.... forgot to proof read... it's me who's 198 pounds... hahah!

Check out my blog

RoadBikeReview Member
    Well done.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2001

they still do it

Quote Originally Posted by Dave_Stohler
    Klein tried this several years ago, and people still b!tch about how ward it is to get the wheel off.
    but they're not adjustable like the tt frame. Flat in a tt and you're done anway.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast