RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012

My new Ridley Orion!!!!

In March I bought my first road bike, a DiamondBack Podium 2. I didn't want to drop a lot of coin in case I didn't enjoy it. Well, I'm up to 70 miles on my weekend ride and lets say I'm hooked.

Anyway, my 18 yr old son decides he wants to start riding with me on my shorter, weekday rides. Of course, that means he needs a bike. Hummm, sounds like the perfect chance for dad to upgrade!!!

So, today I'm at my favorite LBS and their having a huge sale. They have two left over Ridley Orions full carbon frame with 105s. I spent some time talking to the guy about the bike and they are trying out the brand, seeing if it will hit out here. No other shops carry them. Went home and just couldn't stop thinking about it. Did some research online and they appear to be well liked in the reviews I saw....so I threw the bike rack on and headed back. They let it go for $1700 plus tax.

Here's my new ride.....Thanks son!!!!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nice upgrade.

Your son should be joining you on those longer weekend rides tbqh.

RoadBikeReview Member
    good luck keeping up with the young fella! You can't blame the bike either. Enjoy your rides together.
    Edit Signature here---------->

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2005
    Andre Greipel is doing pretty well in this year's tour on a Ridley so I think it was quite a good choice.

banned
    Oct 2001
    Does that bike fit you? That's quite the stack of spacers under that stem.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012
    Yeah, we actually spent a lot of time on the sizing. They had a small and a med left. I rode both a couple of times. Ridley sizing chart says that my height is between a small and med frame. However, on the leg length chart my inseam of 30" (76.2 cm) is at the low end of the small frame. When I rode the med, I had to have the seat down, almost even with the bars and while comfortable, I would be a moving wall against some of the head winds I get on my rides. I actually ran into a friend while I was there that has been riding for years and he agreed withe the guys in the shop that I should go with the small frame. As for the spacers, that's the way the bike came, they didn't add any for me.
    Last edited by RideN; 07-21-2012 at 06:52 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012
    So true kiwisimon. He keeps me young!!! He's a baseball player and hasn't done much riding, but he's so athletic that he'll pass me in no time...

T K
    wasssabi
    I have been eyeballing the Orion. Gets great reviews. I just read a review from one of the major magazines that said it was one of their favorite bikes to just go out and ride. Excel Sports had framesets for $990. Was gonna sell my steel Bianchi and grab one. But, I see my size has now sold out. Bummer.
    Enjoy yours.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Mdeth1313 View Post
    Does that bike fit you? That's quite the stack of spacers under that stem.

You've got a good eye my friend. Although the guy at the shop insisted that it is a good fit for me, I took it for a short 25 mile ride today and well, it was just too uncomfortable after only a few miles. I tried lowering the seat but could only come down so far and then I felt kind of crunched down too much....just didn't work. When I got back I loaded it up and headed back over to the bike shop and told them it was too small.

They didn't blink, just said OK, and swapped me out for the med. frame. They even switched the white seat over to the that bike (it had a black seat for some reason, but everything else is the same) Took it for a short ride and it's a much better fit.

Thanks for posting what you did. I'm not that knowledgeable about frames, etc and never noticed that. I may not have convinced myself to take it back had you not said this....might have thought it just needed some adjustments....